The Ubiquitous Parker 51

Cryptos

The Ubiquitous Parker 51 Fountain Pen  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever owned or tried a Parker 51 fountain pen?

• I own one and use it often.
    • I own one and don't use it.
    • I own one but wish to get rid of it.
    • I don't own one, but have tried one.
    • I have never tried one but would like the opportunity.
    • What's a Parker 51?

LOL. That's up to him. I've mentioned it already elsewhere on FPN. You'll be pretty envious if he tells.

I just helped with some Fleabay and 51 edjumacation. He did the rest. Lady Luck didn't exactly run away from him either. LOL.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• LamyOne

• inkstainedruth

• OakIris

LOL! So here's (the long version of) what happened... I am mostly a modern pen guy, Lamy CP1 caught me first and then Aurora Hastil and then Kaweco Liliput. I woke up one day about a month ago for some unknown reason interested in the "51". I posted on the Parker board a couple of questions and Bruce responded that if I really wanted one, he would help and that he knows his way around "51's" and fleabay. He helped me get a beautiful smooth writing Midnight Blue Demi. I fell in love... and got the virus :)

Then I found out about the Parker book and saw the crazy ($290) prices that some people try to get for it. I dug around a little and found a new copy, the limited signed edition with cloth cover and slip case for $80 shipped! I started reading and loved the (you guessed it) PLUM color. I started looking around on the web and saw prices, but also got some info. There was a Burgundy listing that I seemed to have a funny feeling on, so I decided to bid using AuctioSniper with an amount that was okay if it was Burgundy. My hunch was right and I got a full size PLUM for $56.00 including shipping !

Then Bruce let me know that there was a PLUM demi flying (mostly) under the radar. I bid and won that one for $76.00 including shipping ! So that is my story-in a little over a month (and I'm not normally a lucky sort of guy) I have a Midnight Blue demi and a full size and demi PLUM. Bruce's education was priceless!!!

Octatonic

Octatonic

Oh, wow, how wonderful for you, Octatonic - and how wonderful of Bruce to help you with the necessary edjumacation. :P

You have some beautiful and rare Plum colored 51's that you got for Sumgai prices. I am impressed (and a bit envious, too :blush: ) but kudos to you and Bruce.

Holly

Edited by OakIris

Octatonic has turned into a good pen bud.

We had some back and forth on the 51 book and Both learned things we didn't know. He got his Snipers merit badge and some good deals and I got some donated Esties. It's all good. A happy pen owner with nice pens at great prices. Just the way it's supposed to work. :thumbup:

He makes occasional trips to my town. They'll be a few hoisted at the Ocala Ale house I suspect.

Funny thing on the Plummer Demi. The seller answered all my questions the right way and Didn't post them back to the listing. Then he goes and takes 3 More pics I Didn't ask him to take and posted Those to the listing. I was already about 75% sure it was a Plummer. One of those pics bumped that up to about 90%. ACKKK! It could have been even More under the Plumdar than it ended being. :rolleyes:

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Thank Holly!

Bruce is an AMAZING and GREAT resource here!!! and his edjumacation was on the doctoral level!

Octotnic

Octatonic

Well, I must say that Bruce was *amazingly* helpful in walking me through the Fleabay minefield when I went on the 51 hunt last year: I got my Plum Demi for a few bucks less than what Octotonic paid. But a full sized Plum for roughly what I paid apiece for the others Aeros? MAN! That's some good hunting.

I thought I was over 51 fever, but I was able to compare colors of one of the other Aeros with pens for sale at DCSS and mine (the first one I scored) is definitely Teal. So someday I definitely want a Midnight Blue or a Cedar Blue 51 Vac (or both...). And maybe a Burgundy one (although I have a Burgundy 51 Special) -- so I can say "Yah huh, that Demi is *too* a Plummer -- so THERE!" (Okay, sometimes I don't want to be a grownup.... :rolleyes:).

I am, however, somewhat staggered by the low price a Cocoa one went for a day or two ago, since that is also supposedly a "rarer" color (although I personally think it's -- using Bruce's terminology -- "OOG-LEE"). I haven't seen any chortling and gloating yet -- so okay: 'fess up whoever you are, and explain to me what attracted you to the color, 'cause I'm just not seeing the fascination (I mean, I *understand* the Plum hunt...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I have two 51's and do enjoy using them, but find them just a touch fat for my hands. As a result, my 75 (ground to a similar CI as my 51 vac) and my 61 get a lot more usage. Weirdly enough, on the other hand, I find massive pens like the Dialog 3 fit my hand perfectly.

:huh:

Calculating.

I'd like a P51 and this one is close to me, on Dutch "eBay" (which is not actually eBay, but owned by eBay, and not replaced by eBay because it's such a popular site). Anyway, what do you think?

<p>Hors d'oeuvres must be obeyed at all times.</p>

I am slightly concerned that the very tip of the hood may be chipped off. I'd ask for a close(er) up pic looking down on the top of the hood and nib to be sure. If it IS chipped, it's not very bad, I've seen Much worse. If it's just a regular Burgundy, a new hood would be around $20-25 or it could possibly be reshaped to be less noticeable for about the same $.

I would ask about any dings or dents in the gold cap that aren't clearly visible in the pics. Any of those detract from the value.

The clip has some light issues, it looks like it was bent Mostly back into shape and there is some brassing on it. The cap may be edging towards user grade. (See the discussion in this sub-forum on that.)

In the U.S., If the hood isn't chipped, I'd say it's about a $75-85 shipped pen. I'd deduct about $15 if the hood Is chipped.

There's nothing I see that would have me running away.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Thank you VERY much Bruce - that's extremely helpful! I've asked for a close-up, but haven't heard from the seller yet.

<p>Hors d'oeuvres must be obeyed at all times.</p>