The Ubiquitous Parker 51

Cryptos

The Ubiquitous Parker 51 Fountain Pen  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever owned or tried a Parker 51 fountain pen?

• I own one and use it often.
    • I own one and don't use it.
    • I own one but wish to get rid of it.
    • I don't own one, but have tried one.
    • I have never tried one but would like the opportunity.
    • What's a Parker 51?

Hello Cryptos,

I voted #3, (although I already got rid of mine). I used to have a 51 Aerometric, but I got rid of it for two reasons:

1. Like Paddler, I had trouble finding the "sweet spot" on the nib because it is invisible.

2. Being an aerometric, it was a PITA to flush and clean out.

Best regards,

Chris

- He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me; and I in him. (JN 6:57)

- "A woman clothed in the sun," (REV 12.1); The Sun Danced at Fatima, Portugal; October 13, 1917.

- Thank you Blessed Mother and St. Jude for Graces and Blessings obtained from Our Lord.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• LamyOne

• inkstainedruth

• OakIris

It's kind of sad to hear about even semi-experienced pen users who would try just 1 51 that was (should be obvious) not writing correctly, assume All 51s are like that, and so Easily give up on such a great pen.

Especially since if an Aero, a pro wouldn't charge much to get it all sorted out.

ALL Finedium nib 51s I have have generous sweet spots. Post the cap in line with the nib and that'll be close enough. (To help keep the nib close Enough to being orientated correctly) Or will be If the nib is OK.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I just picked up a "51" Special for $60. I have three others, one fine and two stubs (one of those needs reconditioning.) the fine and the one functional stub are very nice pens to use.

My father gave me one as a graduation present from high school.

It was my first fountain pen, and I still have it. It's as buttery on paper now as it was then.

Wouldn't get rid of mine.

I own a burgundy Parker "51" Special and it writes smoothly. It isn't my favorite pen, but I often take it with me wherever I go because it's reliable and plain looking.

I have five 51s, a 51 Special, a couple of Super 21s and, just for good measure, a Hero 616.

Despite that, I've never fallen in love with them, and I don't use them often. I get far more use out of my Sheaffer Snorkels, Imperials and Targas.

This made me smile Tony, I use my 51s often, my one remaining Snorkel hardly ever, and sold my Targas and my only (Sheaffer?) Imperial.

There is something about them. The flash to substance ratio is to my preference, it's nice knowing there's a lot going on inside, and they're so well made. They tidy up my handwriting quite well too.

As a fan I do consider some of the finishes ugly (grey aero with a steel cap and chrome non-blue diamond clip)!

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

It was a deliberate omission as it is irrelevant to my purpose in posing the poll.

I'm curious as to why you say this. You are polling about "Have you ever owned or tried a parker 51 fountain pen?"

Thuja's answer of "No, and no desire to own one" is relevant, whether you like the content of his/her answer or not.

I built up to six at one point and have since traded them all away. I am not a fan of the hooded nib pens. They write reliably and smoothly but they do not appeal to me. I keep a Parker 21 for sentimental reasons as it was the first model pen I used in school.

You missed another possible option in the poll: "I have more than one 51 and use them routinely"! I had to settle for voting "I have one and use it regularly".

:lticaptd:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Despite my newfound fondness for the Esterbrook, the Parker 51...and I'm using it today...remains my favorite.

I'm with Ruth: "I own several and use them often."

I have about 20 in my collection. I'm working toward one of each color, plus a few others with different nibs.

I have a 51 Flighter that is part of my daily rotation.

greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

I own several, mostly vacs and mostly black with a pair of cedar blues, one burgundy, and a Nassau green. Most were found in local antique stores and all but the last two of my vacs passed through Tom Mullane's hands for restoration so they are great writers. I am not a fan of the aesthetics of hooded nibs and I honestly find the "51" to be a bit boring but I still ink one up several times each year because they start, they write, and they aren't the least bit fussy. Their reliability is amazing. It is a classic pen.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I'm curious as to why you say this. You are polling about "Have you ever owned or tried a parker 51 fountain pen?"

Thuja's answer of "No, and no desire to own one" is relevant, whether you like the content of his/her answer or not.

That is, I'm afraid, based on an assumption concerning my motives and therefore incorrect.

I have one in black but I don't happy with this pen. The EF nib isn't as smooth as I want. A few months ago I purchased a Aurora 88 vintage what is much more smooth and have a window to check the ink level. I'm very happy with this pen.

S

I'm with Ruth: "I own several and use them often."

I have about 20 in my collection. I'm working toward one of each color, plus a few others with different nibs.

I have a 51 Flighter that is part of my daily rotation.

greg

Okay. I don't have *nearly* that many -- 3 Aeros and a 51 Vac, plus a 51 Special and a currently non-working 21. And technically the black Aero with the EF nib got bought for my husband (I'm trying to indoctrinate him -- I let him use my EF nibbed Sheaffer Snorkel last week :lol:), so even though I've had it for nearly a year I haven't inked it up yet.

Although if he leaves the cap off it I'm probably going to stage an intervention....

But at the moment both of the other two Aeros are in rotation (although the teal blue one may be low on ink).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

By the same token, I guess there are some people who have never tried nor have the desire to try ice cream. More power to them I say!

I went a long time in my fountain pen tenure before trying a p51. Not sure why, perhaps negative comments about its aesthetic appearance by other users. Looking back I really did not know what I was missing because I now have several and they are for sure my favorite pen.

I wouldn't say I use mine frequently - it comes up in rotation though, and I enjoy it when I do use it. I apparently really do like the hooded nibs. Or maybe I just don't like the usual open nib, as I tend to wind up using Targas, the 51, a 45, a Carene, or Sheaffer Triumphs. Or the Aurora 88, which I like way more than expected.

I do like the 51, though, and will eventually find more.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

I recently bought a P51 desk set and love it. I wouldn't say it's my favorite pen but it does a great job as a general purpose work pen.