Your Frequently Used Inks Recently? Why You Selected?

Buzzie

I have yet to find an ink that fits it but I notice that if I don't clean my pen totally from black ink and I put in my Noodler Rattler Red I get this gorgeous dark red/purplish black. It is fun to watch it slowly increase to the full red as I use the pen more until all the remnants of the black ink are used up. But my suggestion to the dark red/burgundy would be maybe the black cherry by private reserve I believe

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gwyneddd

• rafizip

• Lyander0012

• bullet08

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Noodler's Tiananmen is a gorgeous dark red, but not really burgundy at all.. Just stunning and very dark.

My favorite inks to return to are Noodler's Heart of Darkness, N's Habanero and Levenger Gemstone Green. Black on crisp paper is beautiful. High shading orange-to-red can have me run through a piston fill in two days. Gemstone Green is so nearly the green-teal that I have been looking for for years.

But I currently have Sailor Tokiwa Matsu in a Sailor Fude de Mannen (amazing, sheentastic on Everything;, N's Red Black in a Hero 166; and still Antietam in the little Pilot Cavalier which Never Ends. Seriously, two months from one fill with daily use. It writes as fine as a dip pen's hairline, but it is ridiculous! Diamine Steel Blue in that pen lasted three months and it hadn't even begun to run lightly, much less dry, by the time I was completely done with that colour. Madness. N's Kung te Cheng is doing something similar in an eyedropper preppy, running one month straight and a second month diluted, all from one sample. Not daily use, though, but a mainstay for class notes. And lastly, a borrowed Nemosine with Gemstone Green. None of these can change until a drawing involving all of them is completed. Must. Draw.

Fox Point, too early in the morning.

I'm using Quink Black in my IM. Not my favourite black, but I have an almost full bottle and it's sort of permanent.

Since I also have blue and blue black and I like neither, I made a 1:1 mixture of Quink blue and blue-black for my other pens several days ago. It's a cool teal blue and I'm settling on it for a while.

Sounds like something I should try too. I'm not fond of the formality of black but the Quink blue is too bright with the blue-black being too dark. Some blue mixed with blue-black or blue mixed with a smaller about of black could do it for me.

"My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness."

The Dalai Lama

Since I started using fountain pens in work, I decided that Pilot Blue is my most adequate ink for this envinronment. With a fine Japanese nib it will only bleed a little on the most terrible paper, and it has a decent level of waterproofness. I believe Pilot Black bleeds and feathers more.

I'm looking for a nice dark red ink; more burgundy than red. Suggestions?

Montblanc Burgundy Red should be pretty close to what you're looking for. It is on the brighter side as far as burgundy inks go. Diamine oxblood is a darker and more saturated option that might also be if interest.

Diamine Imperial Purple: because its my favorite and my daily writer.

Platinum Carbon Black: because its a nice black, and its absolutely water resistant, although not my blackest ink.

J. Herbin Rose Cyclamen or R&K Solferino: being one of the most beautiful cyclamen colors, I really love to use them.

So these are my regulars.

Besides that, the current newcomers:

Diamine Oxblood: this changed the Red Dragon recently, its a nice one... brought in July, but just tried it. Fantastic, but as the Red Dragon they are the most notoriously hardly drying inks I ever met. They can be smudged even after a day...

Diamine Asa Blue: Its an absolutely wonderful blue, my favorite blue, but as not a big blue consumer myself means, most of the time its just sitting on the shelf, but that probably will change....

Diamine Aqua Lagoon: what a wonderful greenish blue, really like the Caribbean's, also brought in July... just tried it...

Right now I'm using Private Reserve Plum. It's great. I have it in a purple Al-Star (no time to review and photograph. Tax season for us finance types that are NOT CPA's has begun. Crazy busy.)

The color really matches the Lamy pen and it's a pleasant, not jarring reddish violet. It has an autumnal tone of the darker maple leaves as they begin to get that late fall hue.

I loooove Fuyu-Syogun, It's too light for me in a lot of my F or EF nibs, but I found one it seems to do well in. Ditto on the Herbin Stormy Grey. I may reserve that for holiday cards.

I usually have a bunch of pens inked but sometimes I need a rest from the variety of color. Right now I'm only using Fuyu-Syogun and Take-Sumi. Soon enough I'll want something else and there is certainly enough to choose from in my desk. :-) I have a bottle of Ina-ho on the way to me; I've gotten fascinated with blues interacting with earth tones. I knit and I'm about to start a project with this:

http://www.bluemoonfiberarts.com/newmoon/images/colorways/blue_brick_wall_an_sk.jpg

(http://www.bluemoonfiberarts.com/newmoon/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=19_20_91)

OMdoG Blue Brick Wall...love it sooo much!!!

Sorry just saw this and now I'm drooling....

Wool, doghair and ink

Ellenspn

I use TOPS legal pads to take notes during lectures, so Noodler's Black is usually my go-to for that. No feathering, and it's just a very reliable ink. I like to alternate between each day with Diamine Twilight. It's a nice, subtly dark blue, but I can still tell the difference between my notes from one day to another day. There's a bit of feathering with Twilight, but c'mon, each pad was about $1.28, so I'm not expecting Clairefontaine quality.