To Box Or Not To Box...

TXKat

Okay, this might be a rather dumb question, but when one purchases a pen and it comes in a box, do you always keep the box?

I have lots of pen boxes (some still storing the pens, others empty and some empty with booklets and paperwork) of those pens that I've purchased new in the past 25 years. Obviously, vintage pens or those "found", pen show purchased, swapped, etc. usually are boxless, but does the box on some pens make them anymore valuable?

You realize that if this addiction hobby continues, I could easily acquire MORE boxes and that would require MORE storage space! :P

Like I said, dumb question, but I'd be curious what others do.

Tell me.....

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TXKat

• chiaroscuro

• londonbooks

• Runnin_Ute

Top Posters In This Topic

If you got the box keep it.

If you can find a box for it cheap...buy it.

A pen in its box sells for more than one with out.

As 'noobie' in 1971, I tossed the box to my P-75....sigh.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

It depends on the pen I think. I do not think having a Lamy Safari box would increase the value. However, I keep all of my boxes for for MBs. With the MBs the original box can definitely add to the resale value. MBs are also faked quite often so many people like to have not just the box but the original stamped paperwork as well. I have found this desire for paperwork to be especially true for the writer's editions or other limited and special edition MB pens. As for vintage examples, I know I am prepared to pay more if the pen comes in its original box.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

I store the boxes seperately from the pens (especially after reading the thread on how the lining in an Omas box destroyed its pen)

Obviously your pens will have a higher resale with their original boxes. But if it's just a matter of storage space then the answer is simple - get a bigger house.

-

If you got the box keep it.

If you can find a box for it cheap...buy it.

A pen in its box sells for more than one with out.

This is my philosophy exactly.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Great input! Some things I would never have thought of (the lining ruining the pen) and I think the dh would pitch a hiss if I suggested we buy a bigger house...because I need more room for my fountain pen habit, lol! :lticaptd:

Sigh, now I have to figure out how to store the good pens I do still have in boxes...grrr....and that probably means I'll need to buy something to put them in and then move the boxes from the desk drawer to the study closet shelf...and omg, you people are slave drivers!!! I'm exhausted!

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)

I have a cupboard full of pen boxes.

I think though it depends on the pen. Most people will keep the packaging that expensive LE pens come with as not having the packaging will affect resale should you ever wish to sell the pen.

If you're buying cheap pens that come with crappy boxes then I'd bin them as I'd never bother selling these pens and would probably bin them rather than going through the hassle of selling them.

Also, some people like to store pens in their original boxes so would keep them for this reason.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

Glad I got a laugh - but seriously - by keeping the box you have one more piece to prove a pen's authenticity.

If you don't plan on reselling them later, don't keep them, but don't throw them out, sell them. Even though it might not sell for much, you are probably helping the community. Some people might want to collect them or need them to resell their own pens or use to store their collection. You will help making the world cleaner that way, because it won't instantly turn into trash. In some places people really dig that, I managed to sell boxes from my watches for a reasonable amount, because most of these fine products have different box models, a simple store will sell the same product for less, with a simple box, and a big luxury store will carry a fancy box and a premium price. Some people really want the luxury box to keep their prized possession in a more fashionable way. But even cardboard boxes might be worthy to some people.

If the box is nice-looking, keep it. Or if you plan to sell the pen later, it might sell better with its original box. If you don't, or the box is ugly, just throw it away.

Hello TXKat,

I always keep the boxes and ALL of the paperwork, including the Bill of Sale; even if you never plan to re-sell your pens - you might. You may also have a warranty issue come up later on; having the box and all of the paperwork will be a big plus for you.

Best regards,

Chris

- He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me; and I in him. (JN 6:57)

- "A woman clothed in the sun," (REV 12.1); The Sun Danced at Fatima, Portugal; October 13, 1917.

- Thank you Blessed Mother and St. Jude for Graces and Blessings obtained from Our Lord.

I keep them. I'm 68. Sooner or later the "collection" will be sold and I'll have just a couple to use til the end. A collection with boxes will fetch more $

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

I keep all boxes that I acquire as I collect [ hoard ] Parkers. I build fountain pen sets and place them in proper boxes that I picked up last year [ 100 - 200 mostly Parker and sold off the other brands ] . I can not comment on boxes from new modern pens as I have not bought any, but I would keep all pen boxes from the new pens.

The only pen that I purchased new in box I don't have the box for is my Lamy Al Star, I even have the cheap box the Konrad came in.

The ones that came with boxes:

Noodler's Konrad

Pelikan M150 -prev owned

Parker 51 Special set - prev owned

Waterman Phileas

Pilot Metropolitan

Waterman Hemisphere RB

True Writer Silver Anniversary

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I keep all my pens in their original boxes and for vintage pens such as Waterman, I purchase Waterman boxes to keep them.

We just, well, we're still in the process of moving, from one state to another. All the pen boxes, except for some cheap cardboard or cellophane sleeves, are packed now in storage for later, just in case.

I store the boxes seperately from the pens (especially after reading the thread on how the lining in an Omas box destroyed its pen)

The lining destroyed the pen??? :yikes:

Most of my pens didn't come with boxes, except the Noodler's pens, since most are vintage. The only box I really want to keep is the box that the Pelikan 200 came in, because it was an corporate gift, apparently unused, so the box is in near mint condition. That being said, though, when the pen is in rotation it lives in a metal canister along with all the other inked pens; when flushed out, it lives in a zippered 24-pen case.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for typos

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

It depends on the pen I think. I do not think having a Lamy Safari box would increase the value. However, I keep all of my boxes for for MBs. With the MBs the original box can definitely add to the resale value. MBs are also faked quite often so many people like to have not just the box but the original stamped paperwork as well. I have found this desire for paperwork to be especially true for the writer's editions or other limited and special edition MB pens. As for vintage examples, I know I am prepared to pay more if the pen comes in its original box.

+1 on this.