Hermes Now Making Fountain Pens?

gerigo

Wow, so much dislike for the pen and the brand. I have to confess I am always on the look out for unique fountain pen designs, and work from Marc Newsom always piques my interest.

Granted it was not completely developed from the ground up as a new pen, but then which company does that these days? Look at the latest Cross Peerless with their Sailor nibs and feeds. You can get the same nibs on Sailor pens at half the price. So the heart of the pen is a re-purposed Fermo/ Vanishing point nib and mechanism. But at least it offers more widths than the current Vanishing point line up.

Well nothing is cheap at the House of Hermes. But then again some prices of pens these days are beyond crazy. The Montegrappa Miya went from a $700 pen with the last design, to a $1700 with the latest Miya Carbon iteration. The 1913 went from a $1700 design to the $2000 Otto. Makes the Hermes look like a relative bargain. I don't disagree that there are so many excellent pens around the $75 - $150 range, that there really is no need for a pen like the Hermes. But then again Hermes does not cater to the mass market. Having a pen like this is great for us fountain pen users and collectors because it indicates, at least to me, that there is a return to the days of writing.

I tried the pen relatively quickly during a short visit a couple weeks ago. I remembered the pen being much more comfortable to hold than my Fermo. But then again I seem to in the minority for the appreciation of this pen.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmccarty3

• gerigo

• Keyless Works

• EclecticCollector

I am making a big guess here that the paper is designed to be used with their new fountain pens. I have not had much luck with so called designer luxury notebooks and paper. Both the Montblancs and also the LV paper are (bleep). They are designed for ball points and feather like hell.

Montblanc has a new paper out? Their old Meister-Butten papers were quite good.

The Montblanc notebook that came with the little agenda has (bleep) paper. Very similar writing characteristic of Moleskine. I don't know anything about the Meister Butten paper you're referring to. Will have to find out.

The Montblanc notebook that came with the little agenda has (bleep) paper. Very similar writing characteristic of Moleskine. I don't know anything about the Meister Butten paper you're referring to. Will have to find out.

It was discontinued many years ago, but you can still find it from various places for relatively close to the original price.

The Nautilus has finally arrived on US shores and there is even a website to showcase the pen and associated note products.

http://usa.hermes.com/leather/writing/writing-instruments/nautilus-fountain-pen/nautilus-fountain-pen.html

I went to see the pen in my local Hermes store yesterday. There is a completely new section dedicated to writing in the store. There is a display with the new notebooks, covers and the pens themselves. Hermes has provided a sample kit (more pen box with a lid) so that you can try all 6 different nibs, EF, F, M, B, Stub. Can't remember what is the 6th nib :( .

I just looked at the website and they only have 4 nib sizes listed: F, F/M, M and B. It also isn't clear what colors the pen comes in -- it only seemed to be blue.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

The perils and unpredictability of e-commerce.

If you google articles about the pen, you will see they originally had 3 colors for the pen itself, black, red and blue, and had 6 different nib sizes including an extra fine and a stub. Those have since sold out and I was told they are restocking in January.

It sort of looks like a Lamy contender while trying to look Pilot (VP) in the nib.

Aim at the ultra minimalists?

Despite the price and odd minimalistic shape to it, it still looks much nicer than those "New" Esterbrook J thats coming out.

Edited by KBeezie

Yes, there's something quite Lamy about it. The pics I've seen remind me slightly of the Nakaya Dorsal Fin 2. However, I'd better not say that too loud, as I hate to think what an Hermes ishi-me kanshitsu pen would cost!!

Surprised to see this coming out of Hermes, as I'd always thought they were more of a Montegrappa/Omas style house - pretty conservative though expensive.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

Yep it is. Only the shell is unique. Although the nib is labled Hermes, the regular Vanishing Points fit into the pen.

• 10 months later...

I quite like the pen, and although it is completely out of my price range, I would love to try it. I like the very minimalistic design, Marc Newson's works are quite astonishing to me. Does anyone else have some experience with it?

I quite like the pen, and although it is completely out of my price range, I would love to try it. I like the very minimalistic design, Marc Newson's works are quite astonishing to me. Does anyone else have some experience with it?

I found the rollerball version in a restaurant check cover in Japan...I was so surprised by it that I actually took a video of it lol.

http://unroyalwarrant.com/2015/04/03/hermes-nautilus-rollerball-pen/

Hermes fountain pen? Louis Vuitton fountain pen? Don't sneer at them as it's all good!

It means fountain pens are starting to thrive in the boutique market and perhaps making a general come back as more people discover them. Hermes and others have taken notice.

Hermes fountain pen? Louis Vuitton fountain pen? Don't sneer at them as it's all good!

It means fountain pens are starting to thrive in the boutique market and perhaps making a general come back as more people discover them. Hermes and others have taken notice.

+1

The LV fountain pens are made by S.T. Dupont. I have only seen one of them (at the DC show), and the build quality appears excellent. Their ink is of very good quality as well. Neither Hermès nor Louis Vuitton is going to sell anything that could be remotely construed as a bargain, but max dog is right--the more people using fountain pens, the better, even if they're wealthy. And take a gander at the silver Hieronymus pen. Don't know who makes it, but it's beautiful. Their paper and ink are first class as well.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

+1

The LV fountain pens are made by S.T. Dupont. I have only seen one of them (at the DC show), and the build quality appears excellent. Their ink is of very good quality as well. Neither Hermès nor Louis Vuitton is going to sell anything that could be remotely construed as a bargain, but max dog is right--the more people using fountain pens, the better, even if they're wealthy. And take a gander at the silver Hieronymus pen. Don't know who makes it, but it's beautiful. Their paper and ink are first class as well.

I have enjoyed the Louis Vuitton & Hieronymus inks I have purchased. I cannot afford to "try" nor buy the pens from same BUT would be happy to support a purchase of Hermes ink if it were to become available. I have no doubt that I would likewise enjoy their pen but realise it is "not possible" for me. I might even be tempted to fill my most "humble" Pilot 78G ($20.cost including shipping) with it's double broad nib with any of the above inks still I had enjoyed part of the experience of a "Luxury Maker's" ink. (Better a "slice" of pie than NO pie!)

I have enjoyed the Louis Vuitton & Hieronymus inks I have purchased. I cannot afford to "try" nor buy the pens from same BUT would be happy to support a purchase of Hermes ink if it were to become available. I have no doubt that I would likewise enjoy their pen but realise it is "not possible" for me. I might even be tempted to fill my most "humble" Pilot 78G ($20.cost including shipping) with it's double broad nib with any of the above inks still I had enjoyed part of the experience of a "Luxury Maker's" ink. (Better a "slice" of pie than NO pie!)

That's the way I look at it.

Old saying: "You can't have the best of everything, but you can have the best of something."

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.