Time To Order My First Romillo

Keyless Works

I have decided that I am not going to wait to go to Madrid to order. I need some advice since I won't be able to hold the pens before ordering. I am pretty sure that I want the number 9 size nib with a semi flexible stub point but beyond that I have to say I am a bit lost.

I find my 149 to be a bit too fat but from pictures I don't think the width of any Romillio would be too fat.

I am comfortable with other large pens like my Naka-ai, Paragon and Custom 845 but I have small hands so I wouldn't want to experiment with anything longer or heavier than these pens. My Aurora Optima, 1950s MB 146 and Custom 845 all feel near perfect in my hand.

Is the length of the number 9 nib a problem for anyone? I am fine with a 149 nib but the number 9 is longer.

I probably would want a converter instead of the eye dropper as I don't want to deal with the potential mess.

I prefer light weight pens to heavy ones.

The Sil and the Essential are much lighter than the other models. Does anyone know why? In terms of durability am I better off with a threaded cap?

Are any of the body materials/colors/finishes superior to others?

Any tips or advice for placing an order with Romillo?

Thank you in advance for your help.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Keyless Works

• da vinci

• Sketch and Doodle

• Postscript

While I know no answers to your questions I would like to congratulate you on doing this. Romillo is one of my grail pens, and I hope to do the same soon,

Post Script

Some of these questions are best directed to Romillo Pens. They have a contact form on there website:

http://www.romillopens.com/contact/

as well as other contact means.

And the website has seen an update in the last week or so, there are new models listed. There's a nice model comparison at:

http://www.romillopens.com/collections/

Actual section widths are NOT listed, which is unfortunate, since that's where you typically hold the pen. Length and max barrel and cap diameters are listed.

I'd be interested in hearing how you found the ordering process, I have been musing about an Eo or Nervion #9 for quite awhile now.

I enquired about Romillo pens while ago and they responded a few days later with prices and I've also asked them about K nib and never heard back. They are kind of hard to communicate.

The flexible nib is only available in size # 7 to # 9 sizes can offer rigid or semi-flexible nib.
Here I detail the pricing of our models.
**pricing material removed at poster's request**

I took your advice and spoke to Álvaro Romillo and after a few emails I ordered the pen below. I was told he could make the pen any length I wanted because I was concerned it would be too big and he said it's no problem the essential and sil that I was interested in could be done 130mm 135mm 138mm and so on but I decided to stick with the standard size.

Let me know if I missed anything with the order . I think there is still some time for changes.

RomilloPens®

Model:Essential #9 (standard 140mm length)

Color: blue with black veins

Nib size: #9 semi flexible + Rhodium nib finish

Nib tip: stub

Nib angle: 45º

Flow: generous

Filling system: eye dropper

Cap: Solid silver rhodium "lentil" roller cap

Congrats! Keyless Works. Upload photos when you got 'em.

I got my "Poor man's Romillo" last week. Still waiting for it to arrive.

Ranga pen made with new ebonite and extra oversize in clipless fitted with 1920-30's rare Sheaffer flexible nib.

post-101475-0-40760700-1407868946.jpg

post-101475-0-87547500-1407869006.jpg

Edited by Sketch and Doodle

Sounds like a really special pen Keyless Works, I am excited for you :)

Is the lentil the little roll stopper?

Yes the lentil is the roll stopper. It's a 75 € add on in solid 18kt gold but since I went with a rhodium plated nib the lentil is solid silver with rhodium plating and is only 30€ extra.

Congrats! Keyless Works. Upload photos when you got 'em.

I got my "Poor man's Romillo" last week. Still waiting for it to arrive.

Ranga pen made with new ebonite and extra oversize in clipless fitted with 1920-30's rare Sheaffer flexible nib.

I will be sure to post pictures when I get it. Lead time is supposedly only 36 days. What a wonderful Franken-pen! Awesome vintage nib on a comfy and affordable body sounds like a win win.

Thanks KW.

You preferred to keep it simple and not go for a clip then. Not sure which way i am going to go in November which is when I hope to order mine. :)

Thanks KW.

You preferred to keep it simple and not go for a clip then. Not sure which way i am going to go in November which is when I hope to order mine. :)

November... are you coming to the Madrid Penshow ?

I took your advice and spoke to Álvaro Romillo and after a few emails I ordered the pen below. I was told he could make the pen any length I wanted because I was concerned it would be too big and he said it's no problem the essential and sil that I was interested in could be done 130mm 135mm 138mm and so on but I decided to stick with the standard size.

Let me know if I missed anything with the order . I think there is still some time for changes.

RomilloPens®

Model:Essential #9 (standard 140mm length)

Color: blue with black veins

Nib size: #9 semi flexible + Rhodium nib finish

Nib tip: stub

Nib angle: 45º

Flow: generous

Filling system: eye dropper

Cap: Solid silver rhodium "lentil" roller cap

what great customer service. Post Script

what great customer service. Post Script

I am definitely impressed. He responded to all of my emails within an hour and since they are all made to order custom requests are possible. I was surprised that I could change the size of a pen with no extra charge. I purchased a lot of furniture from Europe recently and even though all the pieces were made to order if I wanted a sofa to be made slightly shorter or if I wanted a cabinet to be a specific RAL color I had to pay an extra 20-30%.

November... are you coming to the Madrid Penshow ?

Thats the (or at least part of the) plan. I think it is 14 - 16 November? I don't have the exact dates to hand, but I am flying in on the Friday and out on the Sunday. Really looking forward to it! :)

I am definitely impressed. He responded to all of my emails within an hour and since they are all made to order custom requests are possible. I was surprised that I could change the size of a pen with no extra charge. I purchased a lot of furniture from Europe recently and even though all the pieces were made to order if I wanted a sofa to be made slightly shorter or if I wanted a cabinet to be a specific RAL color I had to pay an extra 20-30%.

This sounds very promising indeed :thumbup:

Thats the (or at least part of the) plan. I think it is 14 - 16 November? I don't have the exact dates to hand, but I am flying in on the Friday and out on the Sunday. Really looking forward to it! :)

Yes, those are the dates, I will probably have a table at the show, look forward to meet you there :thumbup:

Yes, those are the dates, I will probably have a table at the show, look forward to meet you there :thumbup:

Thanks - look forward to meeting you too :)