Is There Any Blue In Mb Midnight Blue?

tonybelding

I was just taking another look at an old sample vial of Montblanc Midnight Blue that somebody sent me a long time back. I inked up a pen... I don't see any blue in this ink. It looks to me like a neutral graphite gray. Is that normal, or did this sample just not keep well? I know some IG inks change color after they dry, so I guess maybe it could happen eventually in a vial as well?

I'm on a search for my ideal blue-black, so Midnight Blue could be one of the options for me. I would like for my blue-black to have a hint of blue in it, though!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• AlejoPlay

• lapis

• Tas

Top Posters In This Topic

MB Midnight Blue -- at least the old kind with iron gall -- does have blue in it. It is not as blue when dry as R & K Salix, but it does retain some blue with the pen (Montblanc Chopin) and paper (Rhodia) that I just used to double check.

I have three bottles of the stuff and each bottle is different. The MBMB I know and love is like the middle swatch. No idea what happened over time with the other bottle.
(The new formula has really grown on me)

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_mbmb_original_old.jpghttp://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_mbmb_original_paris.jpghttp://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_mbmb_new_formula.jpg

Coop too is looking for a blue black. Perhaps you'll get some ideas from this recent post:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/271938-blue-black-the-quest-continues/?p=3080682

Edited by Tas

Hi there!

I see it like this: sticking to the old Midnight Blue, having the IG portion -- before it was changed to the non-IG version -- it did, yes have a definitely blue touch (before getting darker/blacker/less blue on paper)... but... since I was so keen to buy a handful of those last IG-goodies before they ran out... I did in fact notice that the last charges of those Midnight Blues I bought started off and ended up in fact less blue than my oldest IG-bottles did. Thusly, over the years, MB IMO even varied the charges of the last IG versions.

Whew!

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Love it lapis.

Reminds me of that Abbott and Costello baseball sketch . . .

Costello: Now I throw the ball to first base, whoever it is drops the ball, so the guy runs to second. Who picks up the ball and throws it to What. What throws it to I Don't Know. I Don't Know throws it back to Tomorrow.

:)

On paper it looks to me like blue overlaid with a graphite sheen... most of the ink looks blue covered with graphite. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I like DeAtrementis Atlantic Blue. It's similar to the MBMB, but in my opinion has a little more blue in it.

Chris

Carpe Stylum!

Hi,

If your sample was the iron-gall version of MBMBl and it was stored for quite a long time in a plastic vial, it may have deteriorated. (I store I-G inks in filled to brimming glass bottles.)

I agree with other Members about the wobble in the appearance of MBMBl, which is accentuated by the way the I-G component reacts with the paper over time. But there was always a Blue aspect to the ink.

As I have a reasonable cache of MBBl-Bk and MBMBl I'm not in a hurry to look for a replacement. That said, I very much like the performance and appearance of I-G inks, so it seems likely that some blending is in the cards. Perhaps a recipe including R&K Salix and/or ESSRI. ... I was quite enthusiastic about a trial blend of Aurora Blue and diluted ESS Registrars Ink; and conjuring a recipe with Diamine Sapphire and diluted ESSRI seems an interesting adventure.

Bye,

S1

__

ESSRI - Mixes: Recipes 1 to 8 https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/223337-essri-mixes/

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I've always found that MBMB has a hint of purple to it, rather than blue (almost a really, really, really deep purple ink). It's one of the reasons why I love it.

Hi,

If your sample was the iron-gall version of MBMBl and it was stored for quite a long time in a plastic vial, it may have deteriorated. (I store I-G inks in filled to brimming glass bottles.)

I agree with other Members about the wobble in the appearance of MBMBl, which is accentuated by the way the I-G component reacts with the paper over time. But there was always a Blue aspect to the ink.

As I have a reasonable cache of MBBl-Bk and MBMBl I'm not in a hurry to look for a replacement. That said, I very much like the performance and appearance of I-G inks, so it seems likely that some blending is in the cards. Perhaps a recipe including R&K Salix and/or ESSRI. ... I was quite enthusiastic about a trial blend of Aurora Blue and diluted ESS Registrars Ink; and conjuring a recipe with Diamine Sapphire and diluted ESSRI seems an interesting adventure.

Bye,

S1

__

ESSRI - Mixes: Recipes 1 to 8 https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/223337-essri-mixes/

I've been using a mix of Aurora Blue:Aurora Black at 2:1 and it's a really nice colour. As it happens, I'm gradually replenishing the bottle with a bit more blue as I progress and think that my ideal blend would be 3:1 for the future.

There's certainly a visible blue content when dry and it's certainly not 'black' in appearance, compared directly to that inl.

I'll try to post scans sometime soon.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I've always found that MBMB has a hint of purple to it, rather than blue (almost a really, really, really deep purple ink). It's one of the reasons why I love it.

I agree. My bottle of IG Midnight Blue, purchased two years ago, is almost black with hints of violet. Pure class.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

• 3 months later...

My bottle comes out nearly black in every pen I put it in. I wish it would lighten a hair . . .

Hi,

If the ink is too dark, simple dilution should set things right.

It seems there are many dark inks that are 'hiding' a very attractive hue that is not always apparent due to high dye load / high pen wetness / too absorbent paper. e.g. Stipula Calamo Nero, Noodlers 54th Massachusetts.

Here's the Ms Fussy 'Dilution - A Rough Guide' @ Post № 23 : https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/218161-need-help-selecting-my-first-japanese-pens/?p=2315439

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

Hi,

If the ink is too dark, simple dilution should set things right.

It seems there are many dark inks that are 'hiding' a very attractive hue that is not always apparent due to high dye load / high pen wetness / too absorbent paper. e.g. Stipula Camalo Nero, Noodlers 54th Massachusetts.

Here's the Ms Fussy 'Dilution - A Rough Guide' @ Post № 23 : https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/218161-need-help-selecting-my-first-japanese-pens/?p=2315439

Bye,

S1

I near empty converter so just put a touch of water in it and VOILA! I'm getting shading and more blue. So I will have to keep a diluted batch of this ink in a vial. It loves an old Parker 45 I have so that's what I mostly use it with.

I've found that it looks dark grey when initially put down on the page but as it dries the blue component comes out. It's kind of strange since the other IG inks I have tried seem to darken to a black with time.

I near empty converter so just put a touch of water in it and VOILA! I'm getting shading and more blue. So I will have to keep a diluted batch of this ink in a vial. It loves an old Parker 45 I have so that's what I mostly use it with.

:happyberet:

It seems there are many dark inks that are 'hiding' a very attractive hue that is not always apparent due to high dye load

Diamine Eclipse. The subtle color is visible when used with drier pens, but with a wet pen it's just black.

Diamine Eclipse. The subtle color is visible when used with drier pens, but with a wet pen it's just black.

And/or as I see it... I find it very wet (TG) but even in my wettest pens it still pours out a very black blue-black, never just a black.

Jack

Edited by lapis

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

• 3 months later...

I love the new MB Midnight blue. Love the color and trouble free no fuss no muss nature. I know I am likely in a minority, but I really feel at easy using it and think is fetching.....