The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Show Off Your Esterbrooks!

• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#161 Tootles

Tootles

Donor Pen

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 23:26

That is one of the most informative articles I have yet read on the subject of Esterbrooks.

At this point I would like to show you all my latest acquisition (and only Esterbrook). Unfortunately I cannot do so as it is taking an unscheduled holiday of indeterminate length in Israel, and most likely will never be coming back.

Yours,

Esterless

Sponsored Content

#162 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2015 - 02:11

Excellent response, Bruce. I will definitely add a few Esterbrooks to my small collection, a collection that i intend to keep small.

Oh how I remember the many times I drove 441 through Ocala  on my way from Gainesville to Orlando when I was in University...

Bob

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

#163 ScienceChick

ScienceChick

Talk Nerdy To Me

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 2,370 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2015 - 03:48

And, as an added benefit, the residents of Estieville are pretty great folks.

photo 9a3c4b09-5684-4070-874c-d3e7313947e7.pngLife is too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

#164 Tootles

Tootles

Donor Pen

• Away
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:47

I think my Esterbrook search is over. It's been too stressful. I am unable to secure even a single decent example.

#165 benbot517

benbot517

A Dapper Chap

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2015 - 16:16

I think my Esterbrook search is over. It's been too stressful. I am unable to secure even a single decent example.

What all have you been looking for?

"Oh deer."

#166 Tootles

Tootles

Donor Pen

• Away
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 20:40

The nib was the most important bit. It had to be a 9314-M. After trying one I really liked it, although a 9312 italic would be more than acceptable. Beyond that, colours Blue, Red, Copper, Grey, models J, transitional or Dollar. As you can see, other than the nib, my choices are fairly broad, but it had to be a good example, not just any old beater. So if it was a red J it would need to be a deep lustrous red for example.

I am sure in the US you have an easy time of finding Esties to satisfy your needs. Being overseas means I have no real resources.

Portland, eh? I have a cousin who lives there, and a simply amazing American woman who I worked with here (NZ) for a couple for years, and who taught me much about life, also resides there. Small world!

#167 benbot517

benbot517

A Dapper Chap

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2015 - 21:49

That sucks. I just read the shipping saga post. That's really irritating. Portland is a neat place. Has a pen shop, was well as a smaller paper shop/press. Hopefully the right pen will appear for you!

"Oh deer."

#168 Tootles

Tootles

Donor Pen

• Away
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 03:28

Highly unlikely at this point. It would require contacts that I simply do not have and am unlikely to acquire.

#169 blINK

blINK

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:52

My only Esterbrook pen is a desk set that was left in the office when I was assigned a desk in grad school back in 1964. I was told that I could have it, so it has been with me for years & years. I will be replacing the sac in a few days, and plan to use it more now that I've again become interested in fountain pens.

I remember having a red one back in grammar school, but it is lost forever. I'm wondering what is the reason that those on this forum find attractive about the Esterbrooks. They are not the high quality of Parker and Pelikan or even Sheaffer, but I gather that they are seen by many as quality pens. Is it the ease of changing nibs? Is it the price point? Are they really seen as beauties? Is it their availability? I think I would like to get a few more to add to my small stable [< 10] of Parkers and Sheaffers, but am unsure what to be looking for and where. I have re-saced two pens, but have no desire to expand my skill set to do real restoration, so I'm guessing i ought to stick to already-restored pens.

Esterbrook%20030.jpg

The nib in this one is in the shadow of the tree. Sorry.

Esterbrook%20031.jpg

I have the very same desk pen and 8-ball holder that I picked up at a local antique shop. The lever doesn't work on mine, but I can fill it by pulling the section out of the body and squeezing the sac manually. I'm not mechanically inclined enough to replace the rusted metalworks, but I will eventually send it off to have it fixed. It came with a 1555 Gregg nib which I didn't think I would like, but it turned out to be a great and smooth nib.

Chris

Carpe Stylum!

#170 geheim

geheim

I do what I'm good at.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2015 - 01:34

In the trunk one of three NOS unused, 447 in Ivory. When I lived in W.M.'s Worcs. KfZHnLT.jpg

JCpyJIk.jpg

mnMnLDL.jpg

WYyM9WZ.jpg

qj79bMy.jpg

ntzuPeq.jpg

WXajALc.jpg

Cheers,

GSM

Edited by geheim, 22 March 2015 - 01:38.

" The race is not to the swift nor the battle to the strong. But time and chance happens to them all. Evil falls suddenly. Who can say when it falls? "

#171 mmg122

mmg122

Mary Garavaglia

• Member - Gold

• 1,754 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2015 - 02:42

NobleDel

"The copper does not have a clear section. According to Anderson's Esterbrook dot net site this pen is correct. (Not all Visumasters had clear sections). You can't see the cap very well in the photo, but it has a three ribbed jewel. I'm not sure if the nib is correct for this pen though."

The copper visumaster in the first photo has amazing color...a beautiful pen. Great find and BTW great gift. Lucky girlfriend!

#172 mmg122

mmg122

Mary Garavaglia

• Member - Gold

• 1,754 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2015 - 02:42

NobleDel

"The copper does not have a clear section. According to Anderson's Esterbrook dot net site this pen is correct. (Not all Visumasters had clear sections). You can't see the cap very well in the photo, but it has a three ribbed jewel. I'm not sure if the nib is correct for this pen though."

The copper visumaster in the first photo has amazing color...a beautiful pen. Great find and BTW great gift. Lucky girlfriend!

#173 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2015 - 03:07

One of our more fortunate members here scored 3 of the Copper Visu III's at one time on Fleabay.

I coulda, shudda had one of them... 

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

#174 Tootles

Tootles

Donor Pen

• Away
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 05:38

My latest Esterbrook (sorry it's not up to the standards of other people's pens, but it's "wot I got"TM

fpn_1427002647__esterbrook_788.jpg

#175 Tootles

Tootles

Donor Pen

• Away
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 06:42

Had a rummage through my old desk drawer and thought I would do a family photo. Looks like I have more Esterbrooks than I thought! :D

fpn_1427006493__all_your_esties_are_belo

#176 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,470 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2015 - 11:14

Highly unlikely at this point. It would require contacts that I simply do not have and am unlikely to acquire.

And if someone had a blue transitional Esterbrook J with a 9314-M, would you be interested?

Cool dip nibs.  I suspect that getting a real dip pen and playing with all those different nibs out there is in my future.

#177 fireant

fireant

The Good Twin

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2015 - 11:15

I have the very same desk pen and 8-ball holder that I picked up at a local antique shop. The lever doesn't work on mine, but I can fill it by pulling the section out of the body and squeezing the sac manually. I'm not mechanically inclined enough to replace the rusted metalworks, but I will eventually send it off to have it fixed. It came with a 1555 Gregg nib which I didn't think I would like, but it turned out to be a great and smooth nib.

I found a black one a few weeks ago when I was in Helena Montana!  I dipped the nib and it writes beautifully. I just need to track down a tool to put the sac on (I have the sac, talc, and shellac ready and waiting).

#178 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,470 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2015 - 11:18

I found a black one a few weeks ago when I was in Helena Montana!  I dipped the nib and it writes beautifully. I just need to track down a tool to put the sac on (I have the sac, talc, and shellac ready and waiting).

I use a pair of tweezers, with the tip ground smooth.  I probably spent less than $1 on them.

#179 Tootles

Tootles

Donor Pen

• Away
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 11:27

And if someone had a blue transitional Esterbrook J with a 9314-M, would you be interested?

Cool dip nibs.  I suspect that getting a real dip pen and playing with all those different nibs out there is in my future.

I am still languishing with a plastic speedball oblique and an E+M straight holder. I really must get a nicer holder, thinking of it.

#180 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,806 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2015 - 14:50

You can actually pull the sac on with your fingers, but tweezers can help. Put the shellac on the section nipple, put the sac over one edge of the nipple, then pull the remainder of the sac over the nipple. Work quickly so the shellac doesn't dry. Tweezers make grabbing the sac for the last step easier, but if you fumble around too much the shellac will dry.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

Sponsored Content

|