The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Early Esterbrook Inkwell

esterbrook esterbrook 401

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 slippery when wet

slippery when wet

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2014 - 00:49

Not sure how common this set is, only purchased it as it virtually fell in my lap.

I am no longer into Esterbrook paraphernalia, so if someone has an interest in it, flick me a email and I can list in the classifieds

Sponsored Content

#22 betweenthelens

betweenthelens

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:26

Not sure how common this set is, only purchased it as it virtually fell in my lap.

I am no longer into Esterbrook paraphernalia, so if someone has an interest in it, flick me a email and I can list in the classifieds

That's lovely. What pristine condition it looks to be in and with the original box nonetheless!

I'll have to take a picture of the Walnut one I have, with matching Copper pens.  My second favorite.   :)

Please do!

#23 Millefleurs

Millefleurs

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Location:Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:33

How lovely these all are! Thank you so much for sharing these photos!

I don't collect inkwells or should I saw I didn't collect inkwells. ;)

:lol: Yep. I can relate to this SO MUCH. I didn't collect inkwells either, until I found a lovely little blown-glass inkwell that spoke to me and...well, that was eight months ago and now I have three of them. Ahem. An inkwell collector now am I.

Oh well. What can you do?

#24 betweenthelens

betweenthelens

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,383 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:35

How lovely these all are! Thank you so much for sharing these photos!

:lol: Yep. I can relate to this SO MUCH. I didn't collect inkwells either, until I found a lovely little blown-glass inkwell that spoke to me and...well, that was eight months ago and now I have three of them. Ahem. An inkwell collector now am I.

Oh well. What can you do?

It's not the worst thing to collect! Hope you have some pens and inks to balance out the inkwells! ;)

#25 Millefleurs

Millefleurs

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Location:Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning
  • Flag:

Posted 22 August 2014 - 14:22

It's not the worst thing to collect! Hope you have some pens and inks to balance out the inkwells! ;)

Oh, I do. I do.

:D

#26 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,976 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:05

Question please.. do you have the patent info on the plastics?

Wondering, most snap assume that all thermoset of this era is Bakelite..

Carter Cubes were manufactured by Colt Plastics.

edit sleepy spleeeling

Edited by pen2paper, 11 September 2014 - 01:06.

emoticon-animal-007.gif~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

#27 estie1948

estie1948

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 05:03

I have a Carter's Cube-Well ("For Use Only With Carter's Cubes" "The Carter's Ink Company" "Patent Applied For" "Made in U.S.A." with the "Colt" print). As I have stated above, I have two Morriset Model B units. They list the following patents: 1559274; 2188828; and, 2137500 with "other pats. pending". It is my opinion that both the Carter and Morris inkwells are Bakelite, but I do not know for certain. I don't know if this helps in anyway with any question about the neat Esterbrook ink well of this post.

A footnote for what it is worth. The Morriset Model B Pen-Ink Unit "Constant Flowing" with its accompanying pen works great. The pen has a nib-with-feed unit and when dipped holds enough ink to write for quite a while before needing to be dipped again. I believe the Morris Company later made some "Morrison" fountain pens of which I have one example. The fountain pen is as  bad as the Morriset Model B is good.

-David.

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.
A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

#28 betweenthelens

betweenthelens

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,383 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2014 - 11:12

The initial inkwell I posted when I started this thread has the telltale Bakelite odor when rubbed vigorously. The odor is not as strong, though, as other pieces of Bakelite that I have.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: esterbrook, esterbrook 401

Sponsored Content

|