The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Early Esterbrook Inkwell

esterbrook esterbrook 401

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 betweenthelens

betweenthelens

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:37

My husband spotted this in Sodus Bay, New York, on one of our antiquing forays. He said, "Is this anything?" 

I don't collect inkwells or should I saw I didn't collect inkwells. ;)

Thanks to Brian Anderson at Anderson Pens for his encyclopedic knowledge of Esterbrooks. I sent him these photos and he gave me quite a bit of information. It is much appreciated. 

IMG_4479_zps581cf0cc.jpg

IMG_4480_zps18b96730.jpg

IMG_4483_zps9f4d4411.jpg

IMG_4481_zps638dc745.jpg

IMG_4482_zps09e072d8.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Art

Art

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2014 - 13:18

That's a really nice thing. Congrats on a great find.

#3 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2014 - 13:23

It's a Dipless set with a nice nib, Cool.

#4 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,493 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2014 - 14:25

That's an interesting one.  If you like these pens, having a few of the inkwells adds some interest to a collection.  A neat one like this one is cool.  A nice find.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#5 Brian Anderson

Brian Anderson

Esterbrook Nut

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2014 - 14:53

These are very early and in my opinion the coolest dip-less sets Esterbrook ever made.  They show up in the 1938 catalog if memory serves correctly.

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

#6 betweenthelens

betweenthelens

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,383 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2014 - 17:00

That's a really nice thing. Congrats on a great find.

Thanks so much!

It's a Dipless set with a nice nib, Cool.

Thank you!

That's an interesting one.  If you like these pens, having a few of the inkwells adds some interest to a collection.  A neat one like this one is cool.  A nice find.

Thanks! This one is a keeper. I'm still devoted to Bayards, though, as far as pens go. ;)

These are very early and in my opinion the coolest dip-less sets Esterbrook ever made.  They show up in the 1938 catalog if memory serves correctly.

Thanks again, Brian, for your expertise and all around niceness. 

#7 Hobiwan

Hobiwan

All I ever wanted was a nice pen to write with...

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 836 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2014 - 18:31

Brian is correct, it does show up in the 1938 catalog, along with "8-ball" and "doorstop" desk pen bases.  But it's appearance (similar to some early '30s Morrisons I've seen) says that it was made much earlier.  And I agree with him, it's the coolest of the dip-less sets ... literally screams "art deco". 

From it's general appearance and the later nib, looks like it was well used through the war years and into the '50s by its previous owner.  If it's going to be a "museum piece" in your collection, i'd suggest being on the lookout for a decent flat-feed nib to properly dress it out for its time period.  But if you're planning on using it, or just respecting its provenance, never mind  :) 

Great pictures, BTW!  "Betweenthelens" is an appropriate handle, indeed. 

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

#8 betweenthelens

betweenthelens

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,383 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2014 - 19:51

Brian is correct, it does show up in the 1938 catalog, along with "8-ball" and "doorstop" desk pen bases.  But it's appearance (similar to some early '30s Morrisons I've seen) says that it was made much earlier.  And I agree with him, it's the coolest of the dip-less sets ... literally screams "art deco". 

From it's general appearance and the later nib, looks like it was well used through the war years and into the '50s by its previous owner.  If it's going to be a "museum piece" in your collection, i'd suggest being on the lookout for a decent flat-feed nib to properly dress it out for its time period.  But if you're planning on using it, or just respecting its provenance, never mind  :)

Great pictures, BTW!  "Betweenthelens" is an appropriate handle, indeed. 

Thanks so much, Hobiwan, for the compliments and for your take on this piece. I love it precisely because of the Art Deco design. I am going to look for a nib that is historically accurate. 

#9 estie1948

estie1948

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,835 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:53

I have two of the Model B Morriset units made by Bert M. Morris Company of Los Angeles, California. They are very similar in appearance, but are not as quite as nice as your Esterbrook one. Congratulations!

-David.

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.
A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

#10 betweenthelens

betweenthelens

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,383 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:53

I have two of the Model B Morriset units made by Bert M. Morris Company of Los Angeles, California. They are very similar in appearance, but are not as quite as nice as your Esterbrook one. Congratulations!

-David.

Thanks so much, David. Do you have photos posted? I'd love to see your sets.

#11 Chiro75

Chiro75

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 16:50

I've never even seen one of these. Cool!

Steve. Just plain ol' Steve.

#12 Brian Anderson

Brian Anderson

Esterbrook Nut

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,337 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2014 - 17:11

Here's one of my pride and joy sets:

red422.jpg

#13 VAgal

VAgal

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2014 - 21:31

Thanks for sharing photos of these awesome sets!

#14 betweenthelens

betweenthelens

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,383 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 August 2014 - 20:18

Thanks for sharing photos of these awesome sets!

;) I'm happy there is a website like FPN where we can all share our enthusiasm for pens, inkwells/stands, inks, papers, etc.

Here's one of my pride and joy sets:

Brian, that is absolutely beautiful!

I've never even seen one of these. Cool!

Thanks! I'd never seen one either until my husband found it. He's had all the luck recently. We were in Maine last week and he found a shard of a plate when we were walking across the sandbar to Bar Island. 

#15 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,493 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 August 2014 - 14:42

I would say these sets are awesomwe historically.  The design is consistent with the design of some of the more commonly found inkwells.  Are these at an early point in the design, leading to some of the more streamlined ones that are flat and rounded?

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#16 Brian Anderson

Brian Anderson

Esterbrook Nut

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,337 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 August 2014 - 14:49

They appear in the 1938 catalog if memory serves me correctly. Would have to double check, but that was probably near the end of production.  They were the first dip-less inkwells Esterbrook produced.

#17 Hobiwan

Hobiwan

All I ever wanted was a nice pen to write with...

• 836 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 August 2014 - 17:58

Only the single Dip-less set appears in Catalog #38, along with instructions for filling (pg. 40, 44).  Yours, I'd have to call a "Doctors'" set, because of the red cap (or perhaps an Accountant set?).  In that case, it may or may not have shown up in any catalog, as I don't see a listing for a white "Dollar" fountain pen either.

The later desk sets with fountain pens were listed as "Available in single or two-pen styles". 

It'd be interesting to know how Doctor/Nurse pens were promoted, as a specialty item aimed at a specific market ....

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

#18 Brian Anderson

Brian Anderson

Esterbrook Nut

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,337 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 August 2014 - 18:07

I have a catalog with something like 16 or 17 of them listed, including three different doubles.  I'll try to get a more exact listing of them later.

#19 tmenyc

tmenyc

Tim

• 2,202 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 18:46

Holy Moly Brian, that is a beautiful double set. No wonder you have a big house in Appleton...I'd have to give up my couch to keep that!

Tim

#20 Brian Anderson

Brian Anderson

Esterbrook Nut

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,337 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 August 2014 - 18:53

I'll have to take a picture of the Walnut one I have, with matching Copper pens.  My second favorite.  :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: esterbrook, esterbrook 401

Sponsored Content

|