The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Montblanc In The Attic! Help With Id Please...

identification 135 montblanc

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 LittleNik

LittleNik

Near Mint

• Member - Bronze

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:43

Hello, my father was cleaning out his attic and discovered a pen, which he thought had belonged to me when a student. He gave it to my son and I became suspicious when I tried to fill it with ink and saw it had an unusual piston type mechanism which I wasn't familiar with. I've done a bit of research and believe it to be a Montblanc. This is certainly possible since my parents have boxes of letters, photographs etc. belonging to ancestors, some of whom would have been able to afford a Montblanc pen! I haven't taken any photos as yet but found this on Pinterest and the pen I have looks pretty much identical, although my pen requires cleaning as the nib has a lot of ink residue on it http://www.pinterest...11218102225278/  Other distinguishing features are what looks like the number 135 on the very bottom of the pen, 652405 (I think) on the next section of the pen up from this. The barrel looks the same as the one in the link picture when held up to the light (browny black with a ridged pattern). The cap has the Montblanc 'star' logo on the top with the words Montbland - Meisterstuck above the thin gold band at the top of the clip. The nib, which is in need of cleaning as I mentioned, has a faint pattern on it which I believe to be the same as the one in the link picture. Do you think this is a genuine Montblanc? Is it a rare model? If so, where would you recommend we take it to get it cleaned/valued? I don't want to send it back to Germany as I'm concerned it may become lost in transit. I've always wanted a Montblanc fountain pen, couldn't believe my luck! Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Content

#2 Eugen-of-Savoy

Eugen-of-Savoy

Numero Uno is Back !

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:50

Seems to be a white elephant, the MB 135 is extremely rare. You could contact Francis Goossens aka Fountainbel, Max Schrage aka Maxpens or Tom Westerich to restore your pen.

#3 LittleNik

LittleNik

Near Mint

• Member - Bronze

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:52

Apologies for the typo above - should have, of course, read 'Montblanc' not 'Montbland'!

#4 LittleNik

LittleNik

Near Mint

• Member - Bronze

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:54

Thanks Opooh, when you say a 'white elephant' do you mean it could be a fake or just that this pen is extremely rare? Do you know anything about the 135? Many thanks

#5 chunya

chunya

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,584 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:05

If it looks like a duck, walks like  a  duck and quacks like  a duck, then  it's probably a duck .....

Try and take some clear photos and  you'll hopefully get a 'definitive' response ..... If it is a 135 then a very nice find! I've never even seen a photo of one before

Edited by chunya, 13 August 2014 - 07:26.

#6 LittleNik

LittleNik

Near Mint

• Member - Bronze

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:17

Thanks for your reply!! Point taken, will try to get photos.

#7 chunya

chunya

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,584 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:28

Thanks for your reply!! Point taken, will try to get photos.

If it is a 135 I'm sure there are a lot of people who would like  to  see photos of it, including me!   :thumbup: 

#8 MBFan

MBFan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:53

+1 to photos!

What a great find, I wish I was that lucky! :)
'PostedColourless green ideas sleep furiously- Noam Chomsky

#9 LittleNik

LittleNik

Near Mint

• Member - Bronze

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:29

OK, so here are some photos. They're the best we can do and the pen is clearly in need of cleaning. Any feedback would be gratefully received. Will post more photos in subsequent 'replies' as the files are too big to upload in one go. Thanks!

Photo doesn't look too clear but we've looked at the number again just now through a photography lens and I'd say with about 90% certainty that it looks like 135.

Attached Images

• image.jpeg
  • image.png

Edited by LittleNik, 13 August 2014 - 10:01.

#10 LittleNik

LittleNik

Near Mint

• Member - Bronze

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:30

Some more...

Attached Images

• image_1.jpeg

#11 LittleNik

LittleNik

Near Mint

• Member - Bronze

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:31

and more...

Attached Images

• image_3.jpeg
  • image_4.jpeg

#12 LittleNik

LittleNik

Near Mint

• Member - Bronze

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:32

more...

Attached Images

• image_7.jpeg

#13 LittleNik

LittleNik

Near Mint

• Member - Bronze

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:33

more...

Attached Images

• image_10.jpeg

#14 chunya

chunya

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,584 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:34

Much better!

I originally thought 136 .....   but I'm not sure now, and I can't zoom in to get a better image

Edited by chunya, 13 August 2014 - 08:39.

#15 LittleNik

LittleNik

Near Mint

• Member - Bronze

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:35

Having difficulty uploading some of the images as they're too large. If you need anything else, let me know and we'll see what we can do. Thanks again.

Attached Images

• image_6.jpeg

#16 LittleNik

LittleNik

Near Mint

• Member - Bronze

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:36

Think it's a 135. Hard to read. What's a 136?! Thanks

#17 chunya

chunya

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,584 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:41

Take a look here and compare it with yours ....at the 136

http://www.penboard....list/MB/VIWAR/0

It could still be a 135, but as I've never seen one and there doesn't seem to be much that you can Google for them ...

But from the photos someone will tell you soon

Edited by chunya, 13 August 2014 - 08:43.

#18 LittleNik

LittleNik

Near Mint

• Member - Bronze

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:47

Thanks for the link. It does look very similar. Only noticeable difference is the actual clip itself which seems slightly different. The clip on the pen I have is smooth and the tip is pointed, like a nib shape. My son and daughter (younger eyes than mine!) are convinced the last digit is a '5'. How different is the 135 from the 136?

#19 bmwboris

bmwboris

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:57

It will also help if you place the pen against a ruler to get an idea of its dimensions.

Try taking some photos of the pen against the ruler with the cap on, cap off body only, and length of cap, that will give some of the more knowledgeable people here the details they require to make a definitive decision on the pen

#20 LittleNik

LittleNik

Near Mint

• Member - Bronze

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:03

OK, thanks. Whilst we take these photos, here are the measurements: Total length of pen with cap on is 13cm, length of cap alone is 5.8cm, length of pen body without the cap on is 12cm.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: identification, 135, montblanc

Sponsored Content

|