Simplo Matchstick Filler - Was It Made By Montblanc?

BOOGIT

I picked up a matchstick filler on EBay and it says Simplo filler on the barrel

It also says made by Wright pen co. St. Louis .It has Weidlich #3 nib

I know Wright made rebranded Weidlich pens but was Montblanc connected in any way to either of these companies?

I have a Simplo nib and wonder if it was for this pen or a later Montblanc pen.

There is an eBay listing for a Weidlich that says the Montblanc was connected to Weidlich before moving to Germany

All info appreciatedpost-9580-0-13098700-1407808791_thumb.jpgpost-9580-0-46880200-1407808867_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OneRiotOneRanger

• FredRydr

• BOOGIT

• bigben

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 5 months later...

I realize that my reply is some years after the original post, but, boy, does the question have things mixed up.

The Weidlich Simplo-Filler pen, a matchstick-filler) was made in Cincinnati by (Otto Emil) Weidlich, dba Weidlich & Simpson, ca. 1904.

There were two other Weidlichs in the pen business:

William, of St. Louis, whose Wright Pen Co. had nothing to do with the original Simplo-Filler,

and Carl A. H. Weidlich (aka August Eberstein), an itinerant pen maker (and thief) who worked, first, for the German Simplo Filler (the predecessor to Montblanc), which also had NOTHING whatsoever to do with the American pen of the same name. He later worked in England and then went back to Germany. He held several patents, but is best known for having been fired early on from what became Montblanc for the theft of company materials and equipment.

Talk about your mixed metaphors.

And, not BTW, the Simplo-Filler matchstick pen had proprietary nibs in various sizes (careful research will turn up pictures of those with numbers four and eight, as well).

@OneRiotOneRanger,

I've been a fan of Weidlich match-stick-fillers made in the first decade of the 20th century. The OP's pen is a surprise to me, and though an old post, I appreciate you bringing it to the top of the forum. Thank you!

Given the OP's observation that on his pen, "it says Simplo filler on the barrel It also says made by Wright pen co. St. Louis .It has Weidlich #3 nib...," I don't understand your comment, "There were two other Weidlichs in the pen business: William, of St. Louis, whose Wright Pen Co. had nothing to do with the original Simplo-Filler...".

Could the OP's pen cast a whole new light on the Simplo-Weidlich connection as to which Mr. Weidlich was involved, and which city?

Edited by FredRydr

I realize that my reply is some years after the original post, but, boy, does the question have things mixed up.

The Weidlich Simplo-Filler pen, a matchstick-filler) was made in Cincinnati by (Otto Emil) Weidlich, dba Weidlich & Simpson, ca. 1904.

There were two other Weidlichs in the pen business:

William, of St. Louis, whose Wright Pen Co. had nothing to do with the original Simplo-Filler,

and Carl A. H. Weidlich (aka August Eberstein), an itinerant pen maker (and thief) who worked, first, for the German Simplo Filler (the predecessor to Montblanc), which also had NOTHING whatsoever to do with the American pen of the same name. He later worked in England and then went back to Germany. He held several patents, but is best known for having been fired early on from what became Montblanc for the theft of company materials and equipment.

Talk about your mixed metaphors.

And, not BTW, the Simplo-Filler matchstick pen had proprietary nibs in various sizes (careful research will turn up pictures of those with numbers four and eight, as well).

I agree. My research on this topic has led me to the same conclusion - the matchstick filler is not Montblanc

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

I concur with the post by siamackz: there is NO relationship between the company which later became Montblanc and the creation of the matchstick-filler fountain pen, other than that both had employees with the same last name.

As to Fred Ryder's post, it is possible that Wright Pen made unauthorized copies of the matchstick filler, with I, presume, unauthorized use of copyright information. Otto and Carl, we know, were brothers. I have seen nothing to indicate that William had anything more than the same last name, nor any verified business dealings with either of his namesakes. Are you related to Winona, and have you in any way contributed to her success, or do you just have the same last name? Any more conclusions which need to be leapt to?

...Are you related to Winona, and have you in any way contributed to her success, or do you just have the same last name? Any more conclusions which need to be leapt to?

LOL Not a chance!

I'm still curious about the OP's pen. Was Wright Pen in such competition with (brother's) Weidlich Pen to motivate the former to add "Simplo" onto their pens? The story isn't finished, but I suppose we leave it there.

• 1 year later...

I own a Weidlich matchstick filler, one of my prized pens.  It is BHR with gold filigree.  There is engraving on the barrel 'Margaret 06' which helps a bit with dating, so it was manufactured in 1906 or earlier.  There is an almost matching pen on the Anderson Pens blog, just do a search for Weidlich matchstick filler.

I will attach a photo of my pen.

Weidlich fountain Pen matchstick filler.jpg