The Ultimate Three Step Pen Polish: A Review

I bought this package when TLMG offered a sale and a free cloth. I didn't have anything like this, and I knew I needed something to take care of my pens and an unknown lot arriving from the Bay.

It came super fast. I opened it and was impressed by the cloth--it's huge and soft. In this photo, the caps have been opened. They were originally secured by the kind of plastic rings you get on pop bottles. No leaking.

post-113649-0-79027100-1407790685_thumb.jpg

The instructions are actually for 2-step. I messaged TLMG who confirmed that indeed step 0 is for taking out scratches. It's slightly abrasive, he said; don't use too much. OK.

This is an After photo of my first project. I was so pleased that I posted a message about it on the original thread.

post-113649-0-22443600-1407789210.jpg

TLMG asked me to do a review at this point, and I am happy to do so, because I find this a good product.

The test pen is one that came with the unknown lot. It's a beat up old Eversharp that writes very well (the beautiful Sheaffer above, alas, doesn't write at all). I had already cleaned it up with water as far as that would go, but it's still pretty dull.

post-113649-0-17666300-1407789257.jpg

It had some scratches above the thread that were a little annoying, and dings everywhere.

post-113649-0-06287900-1407789352_thumb.jpg

I followed the instructions. They are pretty straightforward.

Now the pen looks like this. The scratches above the threads are still there, but I hardly notice them. I could do Step 3 again, but this is a pretty old pen, after all. Even the nib cleaned up a bit. I didn't do much with it, because the pen is loaded with about the last bit of my old bottle of Pousserie de Lune, which was getting all over the paper towel I switched to.

post-113649-0-99820400-1407789538.jpg

It's pleasant to feel the polished surface of this restored skin. Wish I had something like it for my own scratches and dings.

I really like this product. It doesn't smell like brass cleaner--or like anything, in fact. You use just a drop at a time of each step's product. I used two drops for each pen, because I didn't know whether to count the cap and the body separately, and they were in pretty poor shape to begin with. The bottles are tiny and fit in the last remaining niche in my ink drawer. At a drop at a time, I'll probably never use them up.

I have no connection with the company or with TLMG (don't even know his or her real name). They did offer me a box of goodies, but I think I have everything I need.

If you don't have a pen polish already, get this one.

Kathleen

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TLMG

• 77kath

• JonSzanto

• Yehenara

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kathleen--

Thanks for the great review!

To clarify, if you ever see that you still have scratches on your pen, use another drop of Step #0. The beauty of Step #0 is that since it is a diminishing abrasive, so you are able to use it multiple times, safely, without any ill effects.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Montblanc Pen PolishFountain Pen Flush

Thanks for the review, Kath! This was a fairly goodly part of why I decided to try it myself. Now just waiting on 'em to show up in the mail, can't wait to try 'em out on some of the old Sheaffers I have around!

I am curious as to how this is superior to Novus 3-step plastic polishes, which go (3 8-oz bottles) for around $15.00? I've been using Novus for a few years, based on recommendations from a number of pen restoration people, and have been very pleased with the results. What am I missing out on in this product?

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am curious as to how this is superior to Novus 3-step plastic polishes, which go (3 8-oz bottles) for around $15.00? I've been using Novus for a few years, based on recommendations from a number of pen restoration people, and have been very pleased with the results. What am I missing out on in this product?

Hey Jon--

Well, I used to use Novus as well... but here is the thing:

the THREE steps of novus are the equivalent to the Step #0 (the first step) of the pen polish system I created.

Step #0 is a diminishing abrasive scratch remover-- so it becomes a finer abrasive as you are polishing. This alone is a big thing I was looking for when I was formulating it.

Step #1 and #2 are used to increase shine, deepen colors, and, above all, add a layer of protection.

So, Novus, compared to my product, is essentially a 3 step version of Step #0... but without conditioners, etc. Step #1 and #2 are used to make the pen "pop" more and to protect your baby!

Is the abrasive in Step #0 mild enough to leave factory imprints on vintage celluloid pens intact?

No matter the polishing material or method, I think most restorers suggest masking off imprints to avoid any reduction of material whatsoever.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Just wanted to upload a few pictures that a FPN user sent me. He had a Doue Vermeil Bordeaux that was in pretty terrible condition as you see from the pictures. The gold plating was oxidized and gross. The body was covered in scratches.

He used the 3-Step system and.... BAM! The pen looks like new!

In short, "Step #0" removes scratches, while "Steps 1 & 2" increase shine and depth, and also remove oxidation and add a layer of protection.

He used all three steps on the Bordeaux portions and Steps 1 & 2 on the gold portions.

The pictures speak for themselves :-)

PS- on the final "after" picture, the darker area is just a reflection!

post-112315-0-93422600-1409421388_thumb.jpg

post-112315-0-08659300-1409421390_thumb.jpg

post-112315-0-70363400-1409421391_thumb.jpg

Edited by TLMG

• 6 months later...

I recently purchased this for my collection of MB's and limited older fountain pens in various conditions. I will post some photos later but if anyone is EVER in doubt of this product, I'm here to say it is the greatest product I've encountered in some time. Easy to use and works like magic. My first to clean up was an old cheap scratched up Sheafer "school pen". I was shocked after step "0" on how the scratches went away then step 1 and 2 did the trick. It looks now as good as it did in the drug store when it was sold years and years ago!