What Are The Best Ballpoint Pens? Share Your Thoughts!

theodore94

I like most things Parker, Waterman, Cross, and MB.

The Parker Duofold BP, if I say so, looks nicer than the Duofold FP.

For smoothest of writing, I like the Parker Duofold with gel refills. The MB Meisterstuck BP or the Parker Duofold BP, along with a FP are always in my pocket. Depends on which one is on rotation, and how I'm feeling.

I agree with a few of the other commentators - the refills are the key to a good BP. Worth investing in quality refills.

Still, you can't go wrong with a Parker Jotter, good for jotting notes around the office/house.

- Jeremy

Apparently I'm "not allowed" to buy "anymore pens".... this is why I have a separate bank account from my wife :P

Current pens on rotation: MB 146 (F), Lamy 2000 SS (M & F), Parker Duofold (M) in MB Oyster Grey, MB 146 BP, Lamy Logo BP.

Pens in transit: MB 149 (F)
Pens I think about: MB 149, Lamy 2000, Cross Townsend, MB WE Hemingway, MB SE JFK, Parker Duofold Big Red (centennial).

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tonydent84

• usk15

• pajaro

• flatline

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would say that the 3 of the best bp in my opinion are l2000 bp, mb 163 and pelikan 800 series. Comfortable, well made and pleasure to use

Until I discovered the joys of writing with a fountain pen this year, I wrote nearly exclusively with a Parker Jotter. I've gone through several over the years--some went missing, others had click mechanisms break on me--but I kept coming back to them because I liked them so much.

Now that my hands are used to fountain pens, writing with ballpoints feels like a chore, but based on my extremely limited experience, I can definitely attest that the Jotter is a good--though probably not great--ballpoint.

Jotter got so much better when Parker improved their refills. They're some of the best refills I've tried for a luxury pen. Waterman I suspect uses the same ink because the pens write nearly identical but for Parker the refills can fit in so many other pens. The Jotter is my go-to for a knock-around pen that I'm not scared of losing. I don't think anyone looking for a good quality ballpoint would be disappointed with a Parker.

I no longer own any fountain pens... Now they own me.

My favorite current BP is my Cross Contour. I like the Cross refills as well.

The only other pen that ever beat Cross for me was a U.S.A. made Quill. Superior pen to the Cross, except for the refills, which were junk. Fortunately, it took Cross refills just fine. Twist pen, and function was so smooth it felt like it was turning on freshly greased bearings. Smooth as silk. Unfortunately, that pen "walked".

Edited by Fountain Pen Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Lamy and Parker BP refills are still my favorite. MB too expensive IMO, thank goodness I have some NOS refills tucked away.

Sometimes Lamy M-16 refills are great, some are so-so. I've never figured out why. The old reliable Parker gets my nod for consistency.

Where I can, I use Pilot G-2 refills in rollerballs, often these fit existing pens with a variety of shims etc. The G-2 is superior to Lamy, Waterman and other roller refills and are much longer-lasting.

According to what Mr. English Smith said in this topic , I ordered some M16 Lamy fine refills. After delivery and testing all of them I was amazed by howmuch they were "pale" and " washy" and also in comparison with Parker fine refills , they are not so smooth. These refills are much inferior than Parker's which I used to use sometimes ago. Mr. j English Smith misled me :( sorry Edited by Aidin

The best ballpoint pen ? Do you want to find one to use, or just read everybody's favorite ?

The refill does all the work. The brand, model, style, etc. is for comfort in YOUR hand. It is

very subjective. Go find what is comfortable. I like Parker refills and the old BiC Crystal, stick

pen. Comfort of the outside means little to me, as I use a bp rarely.

A surprisingly smooth ballpoint pen is the ultra-cheap, over-priced, piece-of-junk pen, bearing

the Washington Redskins (NFL) logo. A coworker gave it to me. I think they come in a five-pack

on Ebay.

That said, because I am a nice guy ( :lticaptd:), let me say, " Screw the ballpoint pens ! Take your

best-writing fountain pen to class. i did.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer Montblanc refills, so if you can make it work in a non-Montblanc pen then that is the ballpoint I would favor. As it is however, I only have Ballpoints in the Montblanc range so I would have to say my Marlene Dierich is the best Ballpoint

I like Montblanc broad refills and Parker refills. MB 164 and Pelikan K2xx/4xx ballpoints. The Pelikan use a Parker type refill. These pens I have used comfortably for many years.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I only use ball point pens if I can't use my fountain pen, like on bad paper or slick cash register receipts. For that, I have a Fisher Bullet Space Pen that lives in my pocket so I always have it handy. It will write on anything and has never let me down.

For me, it's pure function, and unless I have it with me, it's not functional. It's housed in a brass case covered in matte black enamel. I had a chrome one but didn't like the metal grip, just like I don't like metal sections on fountain pens. I prefer the fine refills, but since this is purely for "emergencies" I can live with the medium that comes with it. After years of carrying one around I still haven't used the medium refill that came with it. That says more about how often I use it, than about the refill itself.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

• 1 month later...

The Schneider Slider XB Rave retractable...it uses a Parker type refill, but the broad point and "viscoglide" ink make it smooth and dark. I wish Parker sold refills this nice for their pens...but I'll just buy the Schneiders and put them in all of the many pens that take the Parker style of refill.

I am very impressed with the Pilot MR2 [Metropolitan or Cocoon in US and Asia] Ballpoints. I have a Violet Leopard and a White Tiger versions. It uses the same refill as the Pilot Dr.Grip ballpoint. It is a modern ink and is almost as smooth as a good Rollerball. It has a nice weight being a metal pen, and at a very modest price [£10.99]

For an even lower price I like the Zebra F-301 or F-301AL [aluminum in 5 colour finishes], it will also take the JK gel refill from the G-301. [about $3 or £3]

The Scheiner Pulse and Pulse Pro and nice smooth writers and the Tombow Airpress makes a good alternative to a Space pen, and I like the design of the Lamy Noto

Edited by BFU

• 3 weeks later...

For me its the Parker SS jotter. It is nigh indestructible if you can get the brass threads one. Also, refills are abundant. I own cross, lamy bps, but cross centurys are rather slim and not for heavy writing. My problem with lamy is that although they look very nice, their refills are not very common and thus cost more. I like the lamys I have bought but have never used them sheerly because once empty, I know I will have to shell out extra.

I really like Lamy's ballpoint refills. I have a 2000 and Studio Wild Rubin BP that see a lot of use. I also enjoy the Cross Century Classic, and own several, but for long writing sessions with a ballpoint, I find the Lamy's to be much more comfortable.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

Which size of shoes is the best?

My point in asking that rhetorical question is to say that everyone will have differing opinions as to the best refills for ballpoints (after all, it is the refill that writes, not the barrel, which is what most of the purchase price usually goes to). There is a quantifiable, no doubts about it way to determine whether a refill is high quality or not- reliability, blobbiness, skipping, consistency of line, ability to write at different angles, readability of the line, etc. However, once you breach the "quality" category, everyone's tastes come into play as to which is the best. Some people like finer lines, some broader. Some people like a little feedback to remind them that they're writing, while others like pens to glide across the page. Some people like the bright, vibrant colors of ink that some manufacturers can provide, others like more muted, dusky, "professional" colors. Some people like gargantuan capacity so they can write for 700 A4 sheets without refilling, others prefer to have a visible ink capacity that a stick pen provides. Gel pens are popular, some people won't touch them with a ten foot pole. Et cetera.

All that being said, I like the Fisher SPR4, the Parker blue medium Quinkflow ballpoint, the Schmidt Easyflow 9000, and can make do with a Cross medium blue refill, though the Century pens I have are far too thin and slick to be comfortable for long periods IMHO.

Here to help when I know, learn when I don't, and pass on the information to anyone I can :)

for me is Parker IM, here is a review why I like the pen : https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/241512-parker-im/

I just purchased a Parker IM and I find it to be better than my Jotter. I love the size of the barrel and its overall weight. These QuinkInk refills really go to work. I love this pen. Thank you very much for your review and recommendation!

I just purchased a Parker IM and I find it to be better than my Jotter. I love the size of the barrel and its overall weight. These QuinkInk refills really go to work. I love this pen. Thank you very much for your review and recommendation!

Glad I could help!

• 4 months later...

I only have experience with a few BPs, but I'll share my opinions of them.

The Cross Classic Century: if you want a thin pen this is great, plus refills for this pen can be found everywhere! I have one that I don't think has been used in ten plus years and picked it up yesterday and it still writes. I didn't even put in a new refill.

The Parker Jotter: my friend gave me one last year, absolutely love this pen. It is extremely convenient because of the click mechanism, and it writes great. For reliability and convenience. I would say this pen is a must have. I have been trying to find more of them, but I can't seem to find any or even any refills for it at office max by me. They only seem to carry Sheaffer and Cross in the store here.

The Sheaffer 100: I just acquired this pen when I was looking for Jotters. It had a similar look to it so I purchased it and tried it out. Having just purchase it there isn't too much I can say about it yet, but I will say it looks and writes awesome. It is a bit on the heavy side, especially when compared to the Jotter, but I would definitely recommend it.

I rather like Ballograf Epoca. The pen body feels well made and can probably take a lot of punishment and it has good ergonomics. The cartridge is very reliable (I found one at home that had probably not seen the light in at least a decade and it started up with no problem), it writes smoothly, and the ink is certified to not fade. The capacity should be similar to quality Parker style cartridges.

I guess nostalgia is one reason I like them. Like most homes in Sweden back when I grew up where at least one family member worked in the public sector, the pens we had tended to be blue Epocas labelled "state property" :-) https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Tillh%C3%B6r_statsverket.JPG

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:5 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3

Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}