Specific Paper Recommendations For Baystate Blue

melodiousb

So, I love the color of Baysate Blue, but I've tried it on about half a dozen kinds of paper, and it feathers on everything, even the paper in my favorite notebook at work, which no other ink I've tried has shown feathering in.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a specific paper that hasn't produced feathering with Baystate Blue?

Thanks.

Currently in rotation: Wing Sung 698/Diamine Blue Velvet, Wing Sung 618/Diamine Golden Oasis, Lamy Profil 80/Pelikan Edelstein Aventurine

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• melodiousb

• FLZapped

• inkstainedruth

• Newjelan

Instead of changing paper, you might try diluting the ink slightly with distilled water, or trying it in a different pen.

I used to put BSB in a cheap Chinese demonstrator with a fine hooded nib, but I cracked the cap finial off by accident (and no, for all the naysayers out there it had NOTHING to do with the ink -- caught the clip on the elastic band in the pen case and it bent back too far).

Then I put it in a Noodler's FPC with the original nib and had really bad feathering issues. So the next time I pull that pen and ink out I'm going to try the dilution trick and see if that works better.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I dilute it so it's 20% water and found it behaves better without any noticeable loss in vibrancy.

Thanks! I'll try diluting it.

Currently in rotation: Wing Sung 698/Diamine Blue Velvet, Wing Sung 618/Diamine Golden Oasis, Lamy Profil 80/Pelikan Edelstein Aventurine

• 2 months later...

24lb.copy paper from Wallyworld. I cut it to stationery size for letters.

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)

I keep BSB in a dedicated Pilot Metropolitan F. Except as otherwise noted, I've used or tested BSB in the Metro F on the following papers and found no feathering or bleed-through, and show-through was minimal to moderate:

• Clairefontaine
  • Fabriano EcoQua
  • Tomoe River (cream)
  • 24lb HP Laserjet
  • 32lb HP Premium Choice
  • 24lb Southworth Business 25% Cotton Linen (Ivory)
  • 24lb Southworth Business 25% Cotton Antique Laid (Ivory)
  • 24lb Southworth Résumé 100% Cotton (Ivory)
  • 24lb Mohawk Via Smooth Writing (Natural) [slight feathering]

Rhodia and Miquelrius have exhibited no feathering. They would have made this list, but they have given mixed signals on bleed-through: partial bleed-through has occurred on some but not all sheets.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

If you have to have retina-burning blue, you have to pay the price. It says something about the ink when you have to jump through all these hoops, or switch to an F or XF nib to avoid bleed and feathering. Or you can dilute. And agree to a fair amount of pen maintenance.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Hi,

+1 for dilution.

I've posted a few samples of NBsBl which may be of interest:

- Noodler's Baystate Blue - Dilution: 100, 80, 66 & 40% https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/180675-dilution-noodlers-baystate-blue/
- Comparison : Pelikan Edelstein Topaz, Pilot Asa-Gao, Noodler's Baystate Blue, Private Reserve American Blue Dilution Too https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/181090-comparison-pelikan-edelstein-topaz-pilot-asa-gao-noodlers-baystate-blue-private-reserve-american-blue/

and Dilution - A Rough Guide @ Post № 23 : https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/218161-need-help-selecting-my-first-japanese-pens/?p=2315439

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.