The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Kaweco Al Eyedropper - Going For It

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 Jumpmonkey

Jumpmonkey

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:37

Magnesium can burn, and magnificently, but, to my knowledge its impossible, or near enough in solid form. Put a good spark to some magnesium shavings though and you can light a fire with that sucker (thus magnesium fire starters with a bar of magnesium, to be shaved, and a striker to ignite the shavings.)

He who controls the ink controls the universe!

Sponsored Content

#42 Nihontochicken

Nihontochicken

Nihonto Chicken

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:03

Magnesium can burn, and magnificently, but, to my knowledge its impossible, or near enough in solid form. Put a good spark to some magnesium shavings though and you can light a fire with that sucker (thus magnesium fire starters with a bar of magnesium, to be shaved, and a striker to ignite the shavings.)

It's just easier to start magnesium shavings burning as they don't dissipate the heat from a spark or matches like a solid chunk would.  I've heard that in days of old, some idiots would toss a VW Beetle engine case (magnesium) onto the camp fire, and the coals would eventually get it going.  Not terribly bright (an idea, that is, very bright in terms of radiation).  A good size chunk of magnesium will burn in air with the brightness similar to an electric arc, and will likewise put out a lot of ultraviolet light, and so is therefore capable of retinal damage if you stare at it closely.  And don't bother trying to put it out with a water or carbon dioxide extinguisher, once going it is so violent the glowing magnesium will rip the oxygen right off the hydrogen or carbon and keep on burning (in the case of water liberating hydrogen gas which then also burns or explodes in the air).

</hijack>  :lol:

Nihonto Chicken

#43 OakIris

OakIris

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2014 - 17:27

Off topic:

It's just easier to start magnesium shavings burning as they don't dissipate the heat from a spark or matches like a solid chunk would.  I've heard that in days of old, some idiots would toss a VW Beetle engine case (magnesium) onto the camp fire, and the coals would eventually get it going. <snip>

</hijack>  :lol:

:yikes:

OK, so I want to know who has/had the strength - or a big enough pack - to lug a Volkswagen engine case with them when going camping!  ("Add to list of pre-camping things to do - dismantle the old Volkswagen in the back 40 so that we can have a campfire.  Take good first aid kit in case of resulting retinal damage...")  Guess these "days of old" must have been before my time - we have always just used wood for campfires in my world....   lol  (continuing the thread hi-jack.)

Holly

Edited by OakIris, 21 August 2014 - 17:28.

#44 Jumpmonkey

Jumpmonkey

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 August 2014 - 23:22

Update:

Didn't use the pen all week. I have two VAC 700's now and I love them, as well as my Mini... I really hope that mini vac can hit the market soon!

The pen did stay with me and inked. It cooked inside hot cars at times. Use check, and it works brilliantly no dried nib or hard start. Emptied the ink into a Goullet vial and inspected the barrel of the pen. There are no visible abnormalities. I did initially think there was an issue (slight discoloration) but I think the heat cooked some ink to the inside of the pen. A hot water rinse and a quick cotton swab and I was able to give it an all clear.

Nihonto, cool deal man, thanks for the more accurate info!

He who controls the ink controls the universe!

Sponsored Content

|