The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Hero Inks

hero chinese ink

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2014 - 22:41

I happened to be around Chinatown..and walked into a Bookstore...

Couldn't resist buying the whole series... it was cheap as chips...

Overall they are easy, free flowing inks... with a real nice shade.... (I do like the Blue Black)..

The red is more like a strong pink.... and surprise.. surprise... they actually have some sheen.... All of them... :yikes:

So, when you get tired of spending $20, $30 or even $40/bottle of some extremely hard to find ink.....  Go get some Hero ink... you'll be gladly surprised..

fpn_1407709826__heroink.jpg

fpn_1407710490__hero.jpg

Edited by Cyber6, 10 August 2014 - 22:42.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Sponsored Content

#2 Sinistral1

Sinistral1

Ink Minion

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2014 - 22:48

Nice.

Breathe.  Take one step at a time.  Don't sweat the small stuff.  You're not getting older, you are only moving through time.  Be calm and positive.

#3 napalm

napalm

True Blue

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2014 - 23:45

woo hoo they're not teal.... so, what does it take to talk you into a fade test?

#4 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• 6,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2014 - 23:51

woo hoo they're not teal.... so, what does it take to talk you into a fade test?

Not much... I can send you that page... and make one for Amberlea too..  ;)

Edited by Cyber6, 11 August 2014 - 00:03.

**** BauerInks.ca ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

#5 napalm

napalm

True Blue

• Member - Gold

• 878 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2014 - 23:55

cool! thanks a lot!

#6 mhguda

mhguda

It's mostly the paper that gets me now...

• 4,011 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:37

I bought a similar set from T-mart but the numbers are different and the bottles are round... Still have to try the not-blues. I was a bit disappointed by the "Blue" but the blue-black (#232 in my case) is fantastic, changing color to a much deeper, dark blue as it dries, in minutes... It was a bit too wet for the pen I tried it in, so I am actually now trying a diluted version, not quite satisfied yet with how it flows... but even in diluted form, you see the color change as the ink dries. My inks are numbered 231 (red), 232 (blue black), 233 (blue), and 234 (black). No pictures yet, please be patient...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

#7 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• 6,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:07

Hero #232 is an Iron Gall.

I will certainly try to find a bottle next time I am in Chinatown.. ;)

**** BauerInks.ca ****

#8 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:15

Cool :)

#9 mhosea

mhosea

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:16

Incidentally, I had some spare Wing Sung two-tone plated steel nibs, so I tried soaking one in Hero #232 for a couple of months. The nib was fine when I checked, but the gold plating would just wipe off. I have no idea whether that would have happened with just any ink. It might have, but I'm going to prefer unplated gold or unplated stainless steel nibs with Hero #232 just the same.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

#10 Sinistral1

Sinistral1

Ink Minion

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• 3,039 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:26

I would have thought the gold plating would be less "damaged" than the steel part of the nib. I suspect that it was vintage iron gall inks that ate holes right through the steel Bock nib in my 1920/1930 German piston filler no-name.

Breathe.  Take one step at a time.  Don't sweat the small stuff.  You're not getting older, you are only moving through time.  Be calm and positive.

#11 mhosea

mhosea

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2014 - 15:08

Well, vintage IG might have had quite different acid content, and stainless steel is a category rather than a specific alloy. Disappearing plating is not uncommon in general because some plating methods are better than others. Usually, I would assume it was a nib issue, but I tested and mentioned it because Hero inks have been specifically implicated before. Actually, I should test with a JoWo. When I grind a stub for a pen with all white trim, I sometimes remove the plating on top to match, anyway.

#12 Seele

Seele

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,130 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2014 - 15:09

Cyber6,

I feel the 202 is also an iron gall, it shades rather well and I rather like it.

203 washable blue is a nice colour but tends to fade a bit too quickly. 201 red also fades somewhat but heaps better than Pelikan red, from my own tests. 204 black is really easy to get on with, and is pretty much my default workaday black so far. Hopefully I might be able to get my hands on some Pearl River 684, which should be even better.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

#13 phonelady61

phonelady61

a very confused woman

• Member - Gold

• 872 posts
  • Location:South carolina for now in the distant future florida
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2014 - 15:42

may I ask what you paid for them each bottle I mean ? just curious not being nosy ...thanks

Cathy :bunny01: 

:happyberet: 

#14 Morbus Curiositas

Morbus Curiositas

Inkoholic

• Member - Gold

• 1,232 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2014 - 16:01

thanks

I will put on my walking boots and walk to Chinatown... and my swimshorts because there is an ocean in between :)

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Tricked throughout the centuries...

For centuries people had been tricked by kings & "religion-alism"

In the 20th century people got tricked by communism

Today people get tricked by (neo)capitalism  :) 

#15 napalm

napalm

True Blue

• Member - Gold

• 878 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2014 - 16:02

Cyber6,

I feel the 202 is also an iron gall, it shades rather well and I rather like it.

203 washable blue is a nice colour but tends to fade a bit too quickly. 201 red also fades somewhat but heaps better than Pelikan red, from my own tests. 204 black is really easy to get on with, and is pretty much my default workaday black so far. Hopefully I might be able to get my hands on some Pearl River 684, which should be even better.

I guess we should compare apples with apples, e.g. 203 with Parker Washable Blue or some other "common" blue ink. If Cyber6 sends me that sheet, I'm gonna scribble with stuff like Pilot Blue and Blue Black and stick it in the window for a while. If 202 is positively identified as an IG, then it will be Platinum Blue Black. Morinda for the red and Pilot Black for the black. Should be fair.

#16 Art

Art

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2014 - 16:31

I like the looks of them. Don't think there are any "local" merchants carrying such items but I can always check ebay. I have a bottle of Hero Black with a 234 in a red diamond on the label. I like it. 

#17 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• 6,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2014 - 16:40

thanks

I will put on my walking boots and walk to Chinatown... and my swimshorts because there is an ocean in between :)

No Chinatown in Austria??    :huh:

What about a Chinese bookstore?   :unsure:

**** BauerInks.ca ****

#18 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• 6,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2014 - 16:43

Cyber6,

No idea... I looked it up, and there is a general incertitude about that.  

I can check for waterproofness, but I can tell you that I did not see the color getting darker.

C.

Edited by Cyber6, 11 August 2014 - 19:16.

**** BauerInks.ca ****

#19 mhosea

mhosea

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2014 - 17:46

I've never heard of 202 being IG, but try this test.  Put a big drop on a paper towel and let it dry.  Then put one drop of household bleach in the middle of the dried drop of ink.  If it is a conventional ink, it will just bleach out.  That process will start slowly and take minutes to complete.  If it is IG, however, the reaction will be virtually instantaneous, and the result will be a beige color.

#20 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• 6,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2014 - 19:17

I've never heard of 202 being IG, but try this test.  Put a big drop on a paper towel and let it dry.  Then put one drop of household bleach in the middle of the dried drop of ink.  If it is a conventional ink, it will just bleach out.  That process will start slowly and take minutes to complete.  If it is IG, however, the reaction will be virtually instantaneous, and the result will be a beige color.

Cool!!!   I'll try that.

C.

**** BauerInks.ca ****

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hero, chinese, ink

Sponsored Content

|