The Five Pens In Your Daily Carry

yogalarva

Being semi-retired, my usual edc in my knock-around bag is a pen-roll with:

• 2 Pilot VP, F nib. One inked blue-black, one inked Sheaffer Skrip red. The F nib for a low quality pocket notebook also in the bag.
  • A 1920's vintage Moore Pen Co mp, 1.1. This is rather small pencil, courtesy Peyton Street Pens
  • A Pentel retractable 'stick' eraser for the pencil
  • A modern Conklin Endura bp. Currently actually has a bp refill in it, but will probably be replaced with a gel type later.

Also as edc in my pants pocket: a Fisher bullet space pen; plus one that lives in the car

When I do switch into professional mode, whichever of my 30+ 'sets' is now up in rotation; these all have a fp, a mp (maybe a stick eraser, depends on the mp), and either a bp or a rb.

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mphstteach

• AG_ORD

• yogalarva

• CaptainBA

I'll need to take a picture tonight, but I love this idea because I usually have 5 in my briefcase.

Kind Regards,

Matt

Platinum Preppy - it's cheap, so folk can borrow this one - I get a lot of positive commnets about them - they are quite funky - especially the coloured nibs. Odd how one of the cheapest FPs out there gets noticed a lot.

Parker 45 flighter - sleek, robust and fits in a pocket.

Pilot G2 - the range of inks are amazing - and the pens are reliable. Used for marking work.

Kura Toga Mechanical pencil

1. My Test grading Pen- a Bulow X750 with Pelican Brilliant Red ink

2. My workhorse- is also a Lami Safari with Chesterfield Obsedian

3. My regular paper grader- I use a Sheaffer touchdown with Pelican Brilliant Green to grade homework and such

4. My attention grabber- is the Parker 45. Love the arrow clip and it is unmistakable to anybody with basic pen knowledge when it is in my pocket.

5. My signature/letter writter- Parker 21 that writes like an absolute dream. I use Conway Stewart Tavy with that one.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb327/historyteach24/Mobile%20Uploads/20140813_072659_zpskwiwnidz.jpg

Kind Regards,

Matt

1. Green Parker 45

2. Flighter Parker 45

3. Red Parker 45

4. Black Parker 45

5. Blue Parker 45

Sometimes in reverse order.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I only carry one, and right now I'm rotating between a Parker 51 and the Esterbrook J that I just repaired (my first repair job!)

I keep two Hero 616 pens in my desk at work, inked with P.R. Tanzanite and Diamine Poppy Red. These are used daily.

At home, since I moved 2 to the office, I have a Parker 21 with the Tanzanite, and a Hero 616 with a sample of P.R.Tangerine Dream (which I find I'm liking a lot)

Non-fountain pen
Rotring 600 mechanical pencil and other Staedtler 2B pencils.

The workhorses
I use two, Pilot Decimo 14k fine with Noodler's Black, just love this combination, and Pilot prera fine with Noodler's Kiowa Pecan, love this brown ink.

The attention grabber
The Pilot custom 845, it looks luxurious.

The almost perfect
Platinum 3776 soft fine nib with platinum blue black.

The one that just works
Pilot vanishing point in matte black, so stealth that it just works.

Edited by yotiao

English is not my mother tongue, please excuse me.

Nice idea! I only carry four pens with me daily (because with four my pen cases are filled to capacity)

But then I have two sets that I use alternately.

One set is purely Shaeffer Balance:

post-2974-0-43918200-1407970540_thumb.jpg

• non-fp: marbled acrylic red ballpoint, it is a beauty in itself.
  • for a coloured touch: marbled acrylic emerald, medium nib, vivid Waterman green ink. It starts just as easy, only the eccentric ink colour prevents me from using it as a workhorse.
  • workhorse: acrylic dark blue balance, medium nib, with blue/black ink (I think it's Waterman), it always starts immediately, even after weeks of non-use
  • to make notes (and doodling) during a boring meeting: my beautiful celluloid Balance LE with fine nib. One of the first LE's I ever bought, the shop has closed long ago. dark blue ink.

the other set is far more eclectic (though mostly European):

• non-fp: a smart little brown celluloid pencil, 0,7 mm with turning mechanism (not in picture)
  • AND either a Shaeffer Grand Connaisseur sterling bp. I bought it without it's white dot and managed afterwards to source the right dot and now it is pristine again, blue black ink OR a Ferrari da Varese Columna sterling silver ballpoint. It has a turn-and-drop mechanism! Its tip, together with pencil-lead, retracts and completely disappears into the barrel when the press-button is activated but only if the pen is simultaneously reversed upside-down. Even as a ballpoint it gets attention everywhere. (seperate pic)
  • Workhorse: a striped blue and black pelikan traditional (200-size), medium steel nib, waterman dark blue ink (not in pic)
  • for a coloured touch: a Stipula Suprema, very large ink capacity. A nice marbled chestnut colour, with ink, that I mix myself to match the pens exterior.

post-2974-0-28754100-1407970543.jpg

I do not presently have the right picture, but the Shaeffer silver bp and the Stipula Suprema are there. The Montegrappa Queen of Hearts I used frequently with MB British Racing Green ink but since I ran out of BRG ink, I’ve switched to the Pelikan, of which I have fond memories too. I bought it in a small stationary shop while on holiday in Stavelot in the Ardennes.

This is the Ferrari da Varese Columna ballpoint:

post-2974-0-88675700-1407970534.jpg

Regarding your selection: The Lamy Safari is a favourite of mine too. It will survive even when treated (very) badly. I use several with different nib-widths for sketching with a special very black Pelican india-like ink that needs very thorough cleaning after use.

The last few days I'm contemplating buying a TWSBI 580 or 700, because I hate having a demonstrator leaking ink even inside where it doesn't do any harm. I understand the TWSBI’s are easily cleaned and resealed. That's a great advantage!

Edited by frans-utrecht

And if my ways are not as theirs- Let them mind their own affairs. A.E. Housman

Non-fountain pen

Parker 45 GT flighter ballpoint. Could survive an atom bomb.

The workhorse

Pilot MR bronze lizard. Always starts, always smooth. Sometimes it's got bright colours for marking; currently Diamine Midnight for general writing.

The attention grabber

TWSBI Diamond 580, 1.1 stub. It looks awesome.

The almost perfect

Parker UK Duofold Junior in blue. Leaves the fattest, wettest line. Can take any ink and make it look incredible. Just a little too slim and light.

The one that just works

Pelikan Souveran M600, green and black. The best pen I will ever own, probably.

Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.

The non-fountain pen: a stainless steel Parker Jotter. I thought I liked Pilot G2s until I found the right refills for this one. Now I find the Pilot G2 refill exceedingly scratchy.

The workhorse: Pilot VP, dark blue (F). Not much to be said about this one; it's my default every-day carry and really useful for the office when I reach for a Post-it note.

The attention grabber: I just received a Waterman Carene Deluxe (F) in a trade. I have yet to use it, but it looks impressive! Honorable mention: brown Parker Vacumatic.

The flaky diva: Diplomat Magnum Soft Touch (F). I like this pen a lot, and it's my travel pen. Having said that, the nib is best described as "meh" that goes off the deep end if you don't hit its seemly microscopic sweet spot, and it just does not like a lot of inks.

The one that just works: Edison Beaumont Bordeaux Flake (EF). Well balanced posted or unposted, nearly the perfect weight in the hand, does not complain about any ink I use with it, and will write when I need it to.

I'll bite:

Non FP:Parker 25 bp. Mitsubishi .4mm pencil (.4 just to be different).

Workhorse: Parker 25. Could run it over with a truck. Uncapped. The nib would puncture the tire and then you could sign the bill for a new tire with it.

Attention grabber: Green Vac, ooh shiny!

Almost perfect: That Parkette which leaks when I least expect it. But its always inked.

One(s) that just work: 51 vac with gold cap worn smooth. 45 flighter. Both always work perfectly until I run them out of ink.

Brian

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

1. Green Parker 45

2. Flighter Parker 45

3. Red Parker 45

4. Black Parker 45

5. Blue Parker 45

Sometimes in reverse order.

isn't this basically only 1 pen with different variants? :)

1. The non-fountain pen

I also carry a Fisher Space pen as my non fountain pen. A friend gifted it to me and it's really handy. Plus it always writes, unlike some other ballpoints I've had.

2. The workhorse

Hm, I haven't been into fountain pens for very long but I think this would be my Pilot Metropolitan or Lamy Safari.

3. The attention grabber

Pilot Maki-E Crane Tsuru. It's a maki-e pen and I store it in a kimono silk pen slip. I love it because its a bit understated but still flashy and it feels amazing in hand.

4. The almost perfect

My Parker 51. The nib is ok but to me it doesn't feel as nice as the nib in my Metropolitan....which makes no sense since the 51 should have a 14K nib. It looks *so* boring. I'm not into the hyper gaudy pens (I'm looking at you Wahl Eversharp 100th anniversary) but it's *too* understated. It picks up finger prints like no other pen I own. I felt like I was let down after reading all the hype about the pen....and yet I can't bring myself to get rid of it.

5. The one that just works

I'm awaiting two pens that I think would fill this spot but I think I'm going to agree with yogalarva again and say that I can see my Pilot VP filling this role. Previously it was my Safari. I used it to test inks, take notes, write reviews, and anything else for a long time. I've never had any starting issues with it and it writes the first time every time.

I'll keep on struggling, 'cause that's the measure of a man.

First, I never actually carry more than two at a time. Usually my Pilot Custom 74 and my Metropolitan or my Lamy Safari (though my #2 today is a TWSBI). That being said, any of the ones below are ones I may occasionally use as my secondary carry pen.

The non-fountain pen: I have a few RBs at my desk at work. I have a nice custom wood pen, a couple of carbon fiber ones, as well as a reliable kyocera ceramic roller.

The workhorse: Pilot Metropolitan (M i have a F too, but prefer the M). Very reliable and writes really well for a $15 FP

The attention grabber: I don't think I really carry one at the moment. I guess the TWSBI Vac 700 gets some looks, but I don't see it as flashy. Maybe my 823 would fit this better when that arrives

The almost perfect: Pilot Custom 74 (M). I love this pen. Very smooth, nice nib and the CON-70 is a great converter. I have ordered a 742 and 823 because I do like the larger nibs (743 is a 10 and 823 is a 15 vs 74's 5)

The one that just works: I do not really see how this is much different than the workhorse, but since it is a different category, I'll give another pen: Lamy Safari/AL-star. I regularly switch between the F, M and 1.1 nibs on these two.