The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sailor 1911 Large Zoom Nib Or Platinum 3776 With Music Nib. Which Should I Choose?

platinum sailor platinum 3776 stub nibs choosing pens

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ace5968

ace5968

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:58

I'm about to buy a FP that is worth $200-$300 with the smoothest nib available. I can't choose any of these two pens.

Requirements:

1. Smooth Nib 

2. Comfort Level

3. Performance

Optional:

1. Demonstrator Version (Clear or Transparent)

2. Ink Capacity

3. Maintenance

4. Wet when you write

I Thank you for People who replied On this topic :)  

Edited by ace5968, 10 August 2014 - 06:18.

Sponsored Content

#2 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,899 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:07

3776 music.

the other nib is neither stub nor italic.

enjoy!

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#3 tarheel1

tarheel1

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:10

For a stub nib I really lime the sailor 1911 large with a music nib. I dont know if I would call the zoom a stup. I like the size of the large over the 3776 or even the sailor standard 1911
WTB Sheaffer Balance oversized with a flex nib, semi flex, broad, or medium in carmine red or grey striated.

Wtb Sheaffer Pfm in black or blue with a medium or broad nib.

#4 maverink

maverink

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:08

platinum music nibs are the best among music nibs but they have feedback, i enjoy the 1911 profit with zoom nib which is smooth as well

how about pilot 823 bb/cosu nib?? its a demonstrator, with good ink capacity n wet.

Edited by maverink, 10 August 2014 - 16:13.

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F
And all indian pens

#5 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,193 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:05

Hi and welcome to FPN

Perhaps this question is better for the Japanese sub-forum, as both pens are Japanese.

A zoom nib is a very special nib, you can get linevariation by changing your writing angle. It takes special skill. I could not write with it.

A music nib is sort of a very wet stub/italic.

I have a Sailor music nib and it is way too broad/wet for my tastes. I hardly ever use it. The nib is functioning as it should, but I regret getting this one.

In the end: I would buy neither of these pens, but that's my tastes....

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, KEEP INSIDE, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

#6 GnaRocksTheWorld

GnaRocksTheWorld

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:02

Check this out:

#7 zchen

zchen

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:22

Zoom is fun but also takes a while to get the hang of different positions to get variation. You probably get more actual use out of the Music nib since it's built for line variation when writing the standard way.

Edited by zchen, 11 August 2014 - 03:23.

#8 biancitwo

biancitwo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:01

I have the Sailor 1911 large with an H-B 21k Rhodium plated nib and a Sailor 1911 Standard with music nib. Neither wrote well out of the box. After Pendleton Brown finished with them, they are the smothest, most beautiful writers I have. One or both of them are always with me. My favorite pens are Pelikans for many reasons, but I always pick up one of these just for the look and smoothness of the writing. I have only seen zoom nib writing samples. They aren't attractive to me. But, my two Sailors are exquisite.

#9 ace5968

ace5968

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:31

I usually have a skill on writing with a pens in a different angle so i can use sailor 1911 without any problems but the thing is i need a smooth pens, comfortable, and performs well.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: platinum, sailor, platinum 3776, stub nibs, choosing pens

Sponsored Content

|