The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Levenger Cocoa Review

levenger cocoa

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Titania

Titania

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:55

This is a quick review of Levenger Cocoa which I initially published on my blog. I purchased the ink as part of Levenger's sampler pack, and I am reviewing all of them. To read the other, more in-depth reviews, go here

Properties

Sheen: None
Shading: Excellent
Water Resistance: Interestingly changes to red
Feathering:High; Although I haven't used this ink on copier paper yet, it feathers on Black n' Red paper.
Drying Time: Extremely long; not a good ink for some sinistral writers
Wetness: Average
Lubrication:  Well lubricated
Staining: I haven't noticed any staining.
Cleaning: The ink cleans out of a pen easily. 
Nib Creep: None with my Visconti Rembrandt

Writing Sample
Pen: Visconti Rembrandt Fine
Paper: Black n'Red Notebook

To my eyes and on my monitor, this scan appears color accurate. For instructions on calibrating a monitor, follow this link. Shading and feathering can be seen more easily by zooming in on the picture.

SCAN0061.JPG

Cocoa has become one of my favorite inks for its excellent shading and great color. The long drying time doesn't particularly bother me because this isn't an ink I would use often or for quick notes; I only use it at home because of its color. If this ink appeals to you, you can purchase Cocoa from Levenger for $12, and it's often on sale for $10 or less. When I eventually purchase a full bottle, I'll write a more detailed review.

Edited by Titania, 10 August 2014 - 05:57.

Visit my blog at www.penenthusiast.com.

Sponsored Content

#2 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:23

Cool one.

#3 penwright

penwright

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2015 - 14:30

I purchased a bottle of the Levenger Cocoa ink; and, while I very much like the color, I found that I had flow problems using the ink in my Levenger Incognito pen.  After writing about a standard sized paragraph, I found the flow slowed to the point that the pen started to skip.  Since I very much like the color (and since I have a whole bottle of the ink), I would like to use this ink, but I need it to provide consistent flow. 

I am interested to know if others have had this experience with Levenger Cocoa ink.  I read good reviews of Waterman Havana brown ink, so I am interested to hear comments about any problems experienced with this ink a well.

I would add that I am currently using a different ink in this same pen, and I appear to be getting better results; but it may be too early to tell.

Please comment.

#4 Misfit

Misfit

Goddess of Inanimate Objects

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,594 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 23:42

I have had no problems using Waterman Havana Brown.  I'm beginning to think I'll start buying more versions of brown ink, maybe green.  I'm not sure yet if I want to limit ink this way, but I'm thinking about it.

Posted Image

#5 jasonchickerson

jasonchickerson

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 March 2015 - 03:35

Looks interesting. Thanks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: levenger, cocoa

Sponsored Content