The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

This Pen Really Sucks... Up The Ink

bulb filler

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jj9ball

jj9ball

Extremely Rare

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2014 - 15:17

Ok so here is about 7 hours of work... These things really do suck in more ways than one.  This is (obviously) about the hardest pen build I have ever had.  The pen ended up WAY too long (I'll remedy that on the next one :D ).  It ended up 6 5/8" long capped... oops.  Its still 6 inches long uncapped, but surprisingly comfortable to write with.  If you are wondering what the black tint is... its my over zealous need to throw in some x feather and see what happens.  And it actually does work.  It sucks up ink and everything.   The nib is a fine point polished bock (haven't figured out how to do the JOWO feeds with the breather tube yet).   The sack is a #17.  The next one will have a shorter sack... I just guessed at the size this time and the next one will have a different connection/nipple mechanism.  There are a few other things I will probably do different, but all in all I do feel like I just climbed a big ole mountain.  I would love to hear what people think.  I would love to hear about anybody else's issues making and designing pens like this.  In particular I would really like to know how big the reservoir is on everyone else's (Mine ended up being around 1 3/4" long and 11.25mm in diameter).  I think I made mine too big which is what contributed to the excessive length... that and sack size.  Enough ranting please comment. :unsure:

Jeff.

Attached Images

• IMG_2788.JPG
  • IMG_2789.JPG
  • IMG_2790.JPG
  • IMG_2791.JPG

Come see some of my handmade pens!!!

www.jandjwooddesigns.net

Sponsored Content

#2 canibanoglu

canibanoglu

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2014 - 15:25

That is one good-looking pen!

I sometimes write about pens, inks and papers!

#3 Wolverine1

Wolverine1

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,555 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 15:43

Beautiful pen!!!!!

#4 chiaroscuro

chiaroscuro

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 16:41

Clever. The old cheapo Wing Sungs I have that use this filling design are among the easiest and fastest to fill in my collection. And they fill to the very top. A great choice.

#5 Mezzie

Mezzie

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 18:52

I like that you can open it up to easily access the sac. Something like that might encourage me to give that type of filling mechanism another try. :)

#6 gregamckinney

gregamckinney

he's just this guy, you know?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 19:42

Very sharp!  I really like bulb-filling pens.  I have many Wahl pens from Bantams to Steno pens that fill this way.

Excellent work.

greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

#7 dannyboy

dannyboy

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 21:35

I really like the colors and patterns on this one--and I'm another one who loves bulb-fillers! Very nice work!

#8 duncsuss

duncsuss

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 14:03

Nice :thumbup:

My bulb filler is my most used pen, I have the specs of what bits I used to drill out the chamber, etc, in a notepad someplace -- when I get a chance I'll hunt for them and get back to you with dimensions and stuff.

Duncan Suss

Facebook: FruitOfTheLathe

#9 sd10521

sd10521

Vintage

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2014 - 16:34

Nice work and color.

I like the idea of an extra long pen even if it's not shirt pocket friendly for the extra ink it will hold while you are away from your favorite ink bottle.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bulb filler

Sponsored Content

|