The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Stipula Calamo - Seven Italians

stipula

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: STIPULA CALAMO (72 member(s) have cast votes)

And the winner is

1. Blu della Robbia (3 votes [3.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.53%

2. Borgogna (3 votes [3.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.53%

3. Nero (6 votes [7.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.06%

4. Rosso Fiorentino (1 votes [1.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.18%

5. Terra di Siena (12 votes [14.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.12%

6. Verde Muschiato (55 votes [64.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 64.71%

7. Zafferano (5 votes [5.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:01

Here we go - this tine I'll try to present Stipula Calamo line. I must say I like these inks. 

To be honest I don't really like Stipula fountain pens design. I've tried Passaporto and it wasn't good fountain pen. However their inks are really nice and they all have good properties. 

I like the bottle 

Ws4ABZ.jpg

and I like the content

9ZSFuj.jpg

I hope you'll enjoy my presentation. So the contestants are:

6drCov.jpgugskBa.jpg

BLU DELLA ROBBIA (Deep Blue): subtle and delicate shade of blue. Normally I enjoy heavily saturated inks but I like this one.

rDd3IS.jpg

BORGOGNA (Dark Red): decent red, not really original or unique but nice nevertheless.

8xLx6W.jpg 

NERO (Black): black wanna-be but it's not black. More of dark blue-black. I hate black ink so it's not surprising I don't like Nero :)

es3nxU.jpg

ROSSO FIORENTINO: nice but not exciting

9RMSEA.jpg

TERRA DI SIENA (Sepia): one of nicest browns I know. Love it. 

eR1bln.jpg

VERDE MUSCHIATO (Musk Green): most interesting Stipula ink. It has unique color. Of course it can be compared to Burma Road Brown, Hakodate Gagome or Join or Die Sepia but it's not really the same. It rocks.

mNA6Ht.jpg

ZAFFERANO (Saffron): my personal favourite. Unhappily it's not really good ink. You have to choose good and pen to enjoy it. In most pens it looks boring and weak.  

Ok, let's check some scans and photos.

SWABS (MONDI 90G) 

bFqWI8.jpg

INK ON KITCHEN TOWEL

NObegQ.jpg

fbMM7L.jpg

CALENDAR

QEhPZV.jpg

bxboC0.jpg

OXFORD PAPER

PgIqvW.jpg

YrHU7q.jpg

RHODIA

cVbM18.jpg

kOBrvJ.jpg

dixF9W.jpg

ht5c1c.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:01

PILOT 78 G

n9tTqD.jpg

DIP PEN

iy8K9A.jpg

LYRECO

(it's polish pangram, something like "the quick...")

iQ6wJq.jpgZVupRZ.jpg

MYDkGn.jpg

LJr8Bk.jpg

YrHU7q.jpg

DRY TIME

Z5IseI.jpg

WATERPROOFNESS

fVOGks.jpg

5G1HEp.jpg

These are nice but it wouldn't be fun without full immersion, would it? smile.png

Floating

lJZL3q.jpg

After immersion

965hKf.jpg

After one minute

H29fAM.jpg

FADE TEST

I'm going to cut it in two parts. One hald will stay in casy drawer, the other on windowsill. I'll scan them in one month to see the result.

OKJY8x.jpg

cSPUV2.jpg

SUMMARY

I enjoy these inks. I almost used the samples. I won't buy full bottles of all of them but I think about getting Zafferano, Terra di Siena and Verde Muschiato (these italian names are really cool, sorry to say that but they sound much better than their polish or english translations  ;) )

I've read somewhere Stipula was about to release grey ink, I would like to check this one too.

What's your opinion? You can choose few inks from the poll.

My next comparison will be of Pelikan Edelstein inks. In the future I'd like to make the same thing for 

Caran d'Ache Colors of the Earth (at the moment I have AMAZON, CARBON, SAFFRON, GRAND CANYON, STORM).

If someone here has the other colors I'm willing to trade or exchange samples  :)

#3 dannyboy

dannyboy

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:30

This is a fantastic review, a model for all others. You've given us detailed information so that we can see for ourselves how these inks look from several aspects. I've used Verde Muschiato for years now and really love that color and the way that particular ink behaves. Thank you for this great review.

#4 betweenthelens

betweenthelens

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,383 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:36

Nice comparison. Thank you. I have two favorite inks from this line although I don't own them- yet.

I love Stipula pens. I have two- one made for Levenger in the 90s and a Stipula Gladiator. 

#5 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,118 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2014 - 13:19

Interesting, now where to find these in the Netherlands.....

Oh, do you also have a "Rorschach" splash on the Zafferano? Would make it complete...

Thanks for an interesting and thorough test.

D.ick

~

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

#6 doggonecarl

doggonecarl

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,002 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2014 - 13:20

You are right, Stipula inks do not get their due recognition. Probably because they are not widely available, at least in the US.

I recently picked up Nero, or ebony black. I like that it is not quite "black" black. On a damp paper towel, it diffuses to purple and turquoise components. And I like the subtle shading that this ink delivers.

#7 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2014 - 13:24

ZAFFERANO ink splash (I don't know how I've missed it, it's so nice)

2pOwQq.jpg

#8 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,118 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2014 - 13:38

Thanks, I agree, I'll add it to my poll: Zaffrano, Sienna and Verde.

D.ick

~

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

#9 Fabienne

Fabienne

Et nunc, aliquid plene diversum!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2014 - 13:40

Amazing over the top review. I adore Verde Muschiatto. I was so tempted to say,"is that IT? Aren't you going to give them the radioactivity test, the snow test, the freezing test, and the 10w-40/10w-35/10w-30 motor oil tests? Huh?" Then I decided not to, seeing that you had gone through so much trouble for us lazy little demanding spectators (while not being paid for having done so and doing it out of the kindness of your heart and love of all things inky). Thank you for your time, effort, and great results. 

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

#10 gary

gary

Kalamazoo direct to you

• Member - Gold

• 2,193 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 15:17

What a well done, and thorough, comparison.

I would suggest you try other Stipula pens, as I have found them to be excellent. The Etruria is one of their standouts, and has many reviews here at FPN.

Thanks again,

gary

Edited by gary, 09 August 2014 - 15:17.

#11 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,902 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 16:01

Hi,

Many thanks for the sampling!

I've only used the Terra di Siena (aka Sepia) and the Verde Muschiato, and have found them to be very fine inks. I'm glad they come in generous 70ml bottles!

One aspect that appeals to me is that those two inks have a rather generous performance profile, which makes them suitable for a good range of pen+paper combos; and they are malleable, so the appearance can be changed by choice of pen or paper.

Even though I do not use Black FP ink, I am interested in the underlying hue of Nero - I wonder if it would become an attractive Blue-Black if diluted to perhaps 75% concentration. That approach worked well for Noodler's 54th Massachusetts, so I wonder if it would work for Nero. Hmmm...

Bye,

S1 

__

My Review of Stipula Calamo Sepia : http://www.fountainp...a-calamo-sepia/

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

#12 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2014 - 21:01

@Sandy1 - I've read your review before I ordered the samples :) It's helped to take this decision :)

#13 77kath

77kath

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2014 - 21:44

I did a quick test with all the blues I have. Needed something sort of water resistant. Had a sample of Calamo Blue, which won my little contest. I love it in my Pelican. I'll be getting more! stipula inks, for sure. Actually, I have six or seven Stipula pens, too. Bet they do well with their own inks!

#14 Scriptorium Pens

Scriptorium Pens

Antique

• Premium - Ruby

• 1,869 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 00:37

What a fabulous and painstakingly prepared review. Thank you!  Verde Muschiato is one of my staples, and the Terra de Sienna is one of my browns that rotates in every now and then. I wanted the Zaffareno to be darker so it could be a daily use gold, but it's too light. It makes a great highlighter, though. I might have to check out the blue, now.

Renée

Visit my site at

fpn_1381279657__scriptoriumpens-label4.p

Handcrafted Fountain & Dip Pens

For Behind the Scenes pictures and comments, check out Instagram & Twitter.

#15 EFP

EFP

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:06

I like the "reds" but in the end my vote goes to Tierra di Siena ~ love sepia.

#16 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 8,902 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 18:13

@Sandy1 - I've read your review before I ordered the samples :) It's helped to take this decision :)

Hi,

I'm always gratified when I can enable inky enjoyment.  :) 

I hadn't anticipated that my IR of a single Stipula ink would cause one to purchase their entire range. But I'm certainly glad you did, and took the time & effort to share with us. That's serious enabling.

Wheee!

Bye,

S1

#17 doggonecarl

doggonecarl

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,002 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2014 - 13:09

Even though I do not use Black FP ink, I am interested in the underlying hue of Nero - I wonder if it would become an attractive Blue-Black if diluted to perhaps 75% concentration. That approach worked well for Noodler's 54th Massachusetts, so I wonder if it would work for Nero. Hmmm...

I gave it a try, mixing Stipula Nero 3 to 1 in a Jinhao 159. And it does start morphing into a dark blue black. Or rather, a dark black-blue. The closest it compares to with the B-Bs I own is Montblanc Midnight Blue, the old formulation.

Moving beyond the inks I own, the diluted Stipula looks a lot like the ink swab on the Goulet's site for Rohrer & Klingner Leipziger Schwarz.

#18 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 8,902 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 21:31

I gave it a try, mixing Stipula Nero 3 to 1 in a Jinhao 159. And it does start morphing into a dark blue black. Or rather, a dark black-blue. The closest it compares to with the B-Bs I own is Montblanc Midnight Blue, the old formulation.

Moving beyond the inks I own, the diluted Stipula looks a lot like the ink swab on the Goulet's site for Rohrer & Klingner Leipziger Schwarz.

Hi,

Many thanks for trying the diluted Nero and sharing the results. :thumbup:

Ye olde MB Blue-Black with iron-gall remains my favourite ink, so a pot of Nero may be considered when/if I ever return to my ink pots.

Bye,

S1

#19 jrobert6

jrobert6

Mint

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:34

This is a fantastic review, a model for all others. You've given us detailed information so that we can see for ourselves how these inks look from several aspects. I've used Verde Muschiato for years now and really love that color and the way that particular ink behaves. Thank you for this great review.

+1. Thanks for this wonderful public service! I'll have to add one or more of these to my wish list!

#20 rfgates

rfgates

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2014 - 22:36

I really enjoy writing with Stipula Calamo Nero ink. I have two of my pens inked with it on a regular basis. I like the matte finish rather than the wet finish of some other black inks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stipula

Sponsored Content

|