Is Jim Gaston Still Active In The Hobby?

ChrisPaul

Hi, Everyone!

Back in the late 90s, early 2000s, I used to buy vintage pens from Jim Gaston. His website was a good resource for identifying pens, too. He owned the White River Resort in Arkansas, and his pen site had a link to the resort. Then, some years back, no more pens. Has anyone kept in touch with Jim? He was very knowledgeable and a great guy to do pen business with. Just thought of him recently, and wondered if he is still active in the pen hobby. Thanks for any info.

Best Wishes,

Chris

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OakIris

• ChrisPaul

• PatientType

• vannesspen

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no answer for you, but someone here probably does. If not, I wonder if you could contact John Mottishaw (nibs.com) - he still has Jim listed on his Links page, with a statement that Jim's website was created and 'updated regularly' by Jim - obviously no longer true, but perhaps he has some contact information for you.....Or, even better, you can try contacting him via the contact email at the Gaston's White River Resort - and he also seems to have a Facebook page, if facebook is something you can stand to deal with....

Of course, the fact that he no longer maintains his pen website doesn't bode well, but if you really want to contact him....

Holly

I tried to reach him about two years ago with a question regarding a fountain pen that was specially made for his fountain pen business. He indicated that he isn't doing that anymore and didn't answer the question. I got the impression he was on to other things and not anxious to engage in pen talk.

Edited by PatientType

He has retired from selling pens. Doing a lot of photography and some traveling now. I have many of his NOS Bexley pens for sale. Quite a few of them are going to the DC Supershow this weekend. www.vanness1938.com

vanness1938@sbcglobal.net

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae327/VintagePen/vanness.jpg
Selling fountain pens, ink, paper & related items since 1938

Guess you have the answer now, Chris. Jim no longer 'does pens' and apparently isn't interested in any dialogue about pens, either. Too bad - from what I have read, he sounds as if he was very knowledgeable and he had some cool/interesting looking pens made for him by Sheaffer and Bexley. :(

Holly

We took a vacation to Jim's White River Resort last November and I got to sit down and talk to Jim for a while. He is definitely out of the pen business, but still keeps some of his favorites on his desk. He loves his Can-am bike, traveling, photography and working at the resort. He said he had to let something go and the pen shop was it.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!