The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sailor Jentle Ink Doyou (Mid-Summer) Review

sailor gentle doyou review

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Inkfluencer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,365 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:20

I've just purchased a bottle of Sailor Jentle Ink called "Doyou" which means mid-summer in Japanese. It's one of the eight inks of their "Colours of Four Seasons" line. Many people like Oku-yama and Yama-dori of this line, and this Doyou one is relatively rare and I was not able to find many reviews of it. I want a darker colour but not totally (boring) black, so I went for Doyou. This is my first review (here or anywhere). I hope I've done it right.

It comes with a 50ml bottle with a "reservoir": flip the bottle upside-down before inking the pen and the ink will stay in a small "cone" which makes it easier to fill.

bottle.JPG

When written with a finer nib, Doyou is a dark brown colour which could be mistaken as black without side-by-side comparison with a black ink. But if you look carefully you'll see it's a warm brown with a hint of red. This may refer to the colour of land in a hot summer day I guess? I think it's an understated colour suitable for work if you don't want to use a boring black. It dries fairly fast, no feathering or bleedthrough on Rhodia paper. With fine nibs there is virtually no shading though. It's a rather wet ink in my Pilot VP. The swabs show a less darker colour with a tiny bit shading. In the smear test I ran a wet finger across it twice. It leaves a red-brownish trace and you can still see the lines very clearly. The drip test shows that it has quite a decent waterproofness. All in all I think I quite like this ink.

whole.jpg

I don't have a black ink at hand for comparison, so I used the darkest (the least bright) colour available to me, which is R&K Salix, for a comparison. I have also a few words in R&K Scabiosa in my "ink journal" so I took a picture of it and put it side by side with Doyou as a comparison. Scabiosa has more of a purple hint to it.

compare.jpg

This is my first review and any suggestion or advice is welcomed!

Some close-ups:

title.JPG

dry.JPG

water.JPG

swab.JPG

Sponsored Content

#2 kristiina

kristiina

Pinarello Civetta 2.0

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:30

I'm glad to finally see a current review of this ink...thank you for posting yours!

There's a lot of good information here. It looks like a good performer in a Pilot VP. I've been looking for something subtle enough for workaday daily use in my own VP, but with a touch of specialness to it.

This tips the balance for me. Thanks again!

#3 annettefhorn

annettefhorn

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2014 - 13:10

I like this ink too. One negative for me: it seems pretty hard to clean out of pens.

#4 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Inkfluencer

• Member - Gold

• 4,365 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 August 2014 - 00:27

I'm glad to finally see a current review of this ink...thank you for posting yours!

There's a lot of good information here. It looks like a good performer in a Pilot VP. I've been looking for something subtle enough for workaday daily use in my own VP, but with a touch of specialness to it.

This tips the balance for me. Thanks again!

You are most welcome, Kristiina. I should add that it seems to showthrough quite a lot on cheap paper, no bleedthrough though.

#5 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Inkfluencer

• Member - Gold

• 4,365 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 August 2014 - 00:28

I like this ink too. One negative for me: it seems pretty hard to clean out of pens.

Oh I haven't had the chance to notice that yet. I should pay attention to that.

#6 kristiina

kristiina

Pinarello Civetta 2.0

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:52

You are most welcome, Kristiina. I should add that it seems to showthrough quite a lot on cheap paper, no bleedthrough though.

I can imagine showthrough might be an issue, seeing how it does in your example on Rhodia, which seems to stifle a lot of my own nib/ink combinations. Fortunately if I really like its performance otherwise, showthrough is an attribute I'm willing to work around. Also, that bit of resistance Doyou shows with drip/smear is interesting...

#7 Pentulant

Pentulant

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 August 2014 - 19:56

Nice detailed review...thank you!

pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>
President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

#8 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• 4,912 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2014 - 23:25

Great review, thank you.
I fell in love with this gem in the summer and after spending hours yesterday trying out inks to marry my new Pilot Custom 912 PO nib with, finally settled on this.

Mmm . . .  :)

#9 Arkanabar

Arkanabar

Ain't I a stinker?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,634 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2016 - 13:31

This review needs to be added to the ink review index, which at this moment only has White_Lotus' review.

#10 Horseknitter

Horseknitter

Vintage

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2016 - 01:43

I like the deep brown of this ink too. Just today loaded it into my Franklin Christoph 03 with a Matsuyama needle point nib. Almost indistinguishable from black ink, but softer. Nice ink for all the reasons listed!

Great review!

#11 migo984

migo984

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,719 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 04:03

I missed this review previously. Thanks for doing it.
I love this ink. It somehow makes nibs feel so 'cushioned' as they write. It's what I judge all other inks against with regards to lubrication on the paper.

I was intrigued by @annettefhorn's comment about it being hard to clean. In my experience this is one of the easiest inks to clean out of a pen. It can initially look very gloopy, like it's going to cling, but a quick rinse and it's gone. A fill of Do-you has even cleaned-up previously stained converters.

Verba volant, scripta manent

#12 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Inkfluencer

• Member - Gold

• 4,365 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2016 - 04:06

Oh it's one of my earliest reviews! :D My review format has changed a lot since then.

#13 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2016 - 04:07

Very nice review. I haven't tried this ink but have heard nothing but great things about it. I too have also heard that it is easier to clean, and even cleans stained converters, etc. I think I will have to pick up a bottle and try it out.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours.  When it is gone, it is gone.  Be wise, but enjoy!  - anonymous today

#14 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,054 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2016 - 04:17

And according to many, it really cleans out stains!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#15 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Inkfluencer

• Member - Gold

• 4,365 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2016 - 04:22

I'm posting this pic again to show what Doyou can do to stubborn stains:

fpn_1441527840__-2.jpg

#16 chingdamosaic

chingdamosaic

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2016 - 04:38

I'm posting this pic again to show what Doyou can do to stubborn stains:

fpn_1441527840__-2.jpg

Wow that is ..... amazing!!

BTW what's the ink that stained this pen?  

#17 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Inkfluencer

• Member - Gold

• 4,365 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2016 - 04:55

Wow that is ..... amazing!!

BTW what's the ink that stained this pen?  

Sailor STORiA Spotlight Yellow.

#18 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,054 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:43

Ah, the magic of cleaning inks!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#19 FPRebel

FPRebel

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 July 2016 - 17:36

I purchased this ink based on its dark brownish blackish gorgeous-unlike-any-other-color quality alone. I received it yesterday; I was disappointed with the 1st few strokes, but after a line and a doodle, the brownish-blackish-unlike-any-other-color-Doyou-gorgeousness was suddenly there .
Having found these photos of the Lamy all that can be said is WOW!! Sailor Jentle Doyou ink is even more brilliant than I knew. Thank you for sharing the amazing success!

#20 cello

cello

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 July 2016 - 21:30

This is an amazing ink, and worthy of it's Sailor branding.  A semi-unique color, and wonderful performance!

It falls into that family of inks that plays tricks on your eyes and mind.  You write and think, oh it's XXX color, then you stop and think "wait..no it's XXX color!).  I love this aspect of some inks!

Edited by cello, 08 July 2016 - 21:37.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sailor, gentle, doyou, review

Sponsored Content

|