Serial Number On Aero P51 Sleeve?

dragos.mocanu

Hello, today I stumble upon this picture, a Parker "51" that seems to have some sort of serial number on the metal sleeve. Check it out: http://img07.olx.ro/images_mercadorro/35367415_4_1000x700_stilou-parker-sport-timp-liber-arta.jpg

It looks something like 2064/4 towards the end of the sleeve. I haven't seen such markings before on a P51.

And what about this certificate of authenticity? Has anyone seen any like it?

http://img07.olx.ro/images_mercadorro/35367415_5_1000x700_stilou-parker-timis.jpg

Thanks!

Edited by dragos.mocanu

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dragos.mocanu

• icardoth

• Florida Blue

• terim

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

After further searching, I've partially discovered that the Italian officials issued this kind of certificates for P51s after the Settimo fake "51"s incident. Unfortunately the source is no longer fully available, because the Pentrace website (on which it was published) is down.

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

I've actually went ahead and purchased the pens (there are 2 of them, almost identical), both come with mint boxes and certificates of authenticity. The seller said they are NOS...that remains to be seen tomorrow.

Great info! I have one Parker 51 with a similar number engraved in the filler. The pen has no country of origin, a black body and a frosted Lustraloy cap with a polished lip & clip. Some pictures:

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad236/icardoth/P1200021_51BlackLustraloy2.jpg

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad236/icardoth/P1200020_51BlackLustraloy2.jpg

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad236/icardoth/P1200022_51BlackLustraloy2.jpg

After further searching, I've partially discovered that the Italian officials issued this kind of certificates for P51s after the Settimo fake "51"s incident. Unfortunately the source is no longer fully available, because the Pentrace website (on which it was published) is down.

That's exactly what it is. This pen was sold in the Italian market where the Parker distributer provided certificates of authenticity for authorized dealers to give to customers when they bought a 51.

There were a huge number of fake 51s floating around in Italy (Parker itself did not make any pens in Italy). According to the Parker 51 book, a company called A.P.I., which was the official Parker distributer in Italy, started a registration program for genuine 51s where a serial number was etched onto the filler accompanied with a certificate of authenticity. This was in response to a raid on several pen manufactures in Settimo, Italy that were making fake 51s marked P.ARKER.

Very cool find!

Edited by Florida Blue

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

I was able to rebuild the whole pentrace article (with pictures included) about Settimo fakes by using Google's archive facilities. The result is in pdf format. Sadly there are no bigger pictures available.

Pentrace Article # 414.pdf

I was able to rebuild the whole pentrace article (with pictures included) about Settimo fakes by using Google's archive facilities. The result is in pdf format. Sadly there are no bigger pictures available.

Thanks icardoth. That will make an interesting read.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

Very interesting read. Thanks for tracking it down.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Wow, thank you so much for sourcing it out! I was only able to get the pictures and fragments of text. When the pens arrive (hopefully today) I'll let you know :D

I've picked the pens up and they're not NOS, but very near, having only been dipped (Just that! there's no coloring to the Pli-glass sacs, and the amount of coloring that came out when I flushed them was insignificant).

The frosty finish on the caps is absolutely intact. One looks like a Fine and the other like a Medium, I'll check them out with a bit of Pelikan Turquiose and report back.

They've been both purchased in 1972 from Italy, but they are made in England; one has a brushed cap with no lip, finger clutch system and the imprint "51" on the cap, and the filler sleeve still has the black plastic end meaning 1965 (according to http://www.parker51.com/chrono.html ), and the other has a shiny cap lip and the finger clutch system, which means about 1962-1964 (according to the same source). Overall they look great and I'm sure they perform great, and the fact that they both have documents and minty boxes is also fantastic. I'll try to make some photos and post them here.

Edit: I've dipped them and as i thought, the 1965 one is a Medium, and the 1962-1964 one is a Fine, both very smooth and decently wet.

Edited by dragos.mocanu