The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

My First Montblanc

purchase montblanc

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Krantox

Krantox

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:10

Hello everyone! I am not only new to this site, but also to this particular forum and the world of Montblancs.

I have practiced Calligraphy for some time now, and I have been thinking about buying a Montblanc pen, most probably the Meisterstuck.

My question is the following; outside of a financial perspective, would you all recommend buying a modern Meisterstuck fountain pen, or going for a vintage one, and why? Once more, do not take finances into question as I am merely interested in the quality of the pen. Furthermore, if you would recommend something other than a Meisterstuck please do say so, along with why!

Thank you all for taking the time to read, and hopefully answer, this!

Sponsored Content

#2 I like mango cheesecake

I like mango cheesecake

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:13

Well, you will undoubtedly get more than one MB eventually, so you can get both a modern and a vintage one. I have 9 MB's now.

#3 MBFan

MBFan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:52

I prefer vintage (1950s) MBs as their nibs are flex / semi-flex, and they feel a little more substantial in terms of quality. I also have a modern 146, and have just sold a modern 149, and while I do/ did like them, if I had a choice, I'd always go vintage. YMMV.
'PostedColourless green ideas sleep furiously- Noam Chomsky

#4 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,133 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2014 - 13:14

If you are planning to use the pen for general daily writing then MB can be a great choice.  For calligraphy though Montblanc would not even be near my list, much less on it. If calligraphy is one thing planned purpose for the pen I'd contact Mauricio Aguilar and let him suggest a selection for you to choose from.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#5 Krantox

Krantox

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2014 - 13:37

If you are planning to use the pen for general daily writing then MB can be a great choice.  For calligraphy though Montblanc would not even be near my list, much less on it. If calligraphy is one thing planned purpose for the pen I'd contact Mauricio Aguilar and let him suggest a selection for you to choose from.

Thank you for that tip - I will definitely contact him, though for a separate topic. For calligraphy I have a wide range of nibs for by dip pen, but this pen I am seeking to buy for closer to everyday writing rather than calligraphy.

#6 _Stormin_

_Stormin_

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:07

They're like potato chips. You can't have just one. I would recommend a 146 or a 149 for a "beginner" MB. So much about the pens to love. Depending upon where you're thinking about making the purchase, I can say that you can find some great prices on "new old stock" pens which will be virtually identical to a new in the box pen from a boutique. My first MB was new, now I have a blend of new and vintage pens. There are a few, especially the 146s and 149, that I would have paid half the price for a new pen had I bothered to realize that a three year old new pen was just as good as a three day old new pen. More money to put towards more pens... :D

#7 orfew

orfew

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:42

I use MBs everyday. They can be very good daily users. I can recommend the 146 as an excellent place to start. The 80's 146s are particularly good IMHO.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

#8 Boochie

Boochie

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:08

My 146 and 149 are both from the mid to late 80's.  They are absolutely beautiful pens and superb writers.  I got both of them secondhand (or maybe third or fourth hand, who knows?) from sellers on ebay.  I'm sure the modern pens are just as nice but I love my, somewhat, vintage MB's.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: purchase, montblanc

Sponsored Content

|