The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

What Is This That Stands Before Me?

esterbrook questions cx100 threads

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 algodonzo

algodonzo

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:43

I just bought what I think is a cx100 at the flea market (it would be my very first Esterbrook). It is a solid blue lever filler, all soft plastic including the section. The cap is loose and the threads are worn out and it came with a 9550 nib. Cost me a little less than 5 dollars. Does it sound like a cx100? Is there any hope of fixing the threads? Did I pay too much? Thanks for your help guys!

Sponsored Content

#2 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:50

Not much information in your description of the pen.  How about photos ?  Dimensions ?  

The Esterbrook 9550 nib , in good condition, is worth $5.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#3 pensive1

pensive1

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:57

I know nothing about Esterbrooks....

#4 algodonzo

algodonzo

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:17

Let's see... http://es.tinypic.co...?pic=dqq7ur&s=8

I hope I did it right? It's the first time I've linked to an image here. Please excuse the lack of quality, I only have my cellphone's camera. Uncapped it is 135 mm, capped it's 149. There is a lever, and it works okay. Thanks.

#5 estie1948

estie1948

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:13

I am not sure, but it does look something like a C101. However, I am almost certain that the C101s were cartridge fill pens or had a squeeze aerometric fill, but were not lever fill pens. Also, their caps were not metal, but matched the pen body. The clip on the cap, which does not show in your photo, should say Esterbrook on it. Also, the section looks wrong for an Esterbrook. So, I don't think it is an Esterbrook fountain pen. Esterbrook nibs are sometimes placed in other pens. Still I am not an Esterbrook expert by any stretch of the imagination.

Still and all, at $5, since it fills with ink, has an Esterbrook 9550 nib, and works, I'd say you got one heck of a good deal!

David.

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.
A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

#6 algodonzo

algodonzo

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:21

The clip on the cap, which does not show in your photo, should say Esterbrook on it. Also, the section looks wrong for an Esterbrook. So, I don't think it is an Esterbrook fountain pen. Esterbrook nibs are sometimes placed in other pens. Still I am not an Esterbrook expert by any stretch of the imagination.

Still and all, at $5, since it fills with ink, has an Esterbrook 9550 nib, and works, I'd say you got one heck of a good deal!

David.

It does say so. And knowing now of the nib, I guess I didn't waste my money then! I'll try to look more into it. Thanks :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: esterbrook, questions, cx100, threads

Sponsored Content

|