The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Leak With A New Platinum 3776 Century

platinum 3776 leaking

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 akshaydashrath

akshaydashrath

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2014 - 18:29

Hello,

I have a new Platinum 3776 Century and it appears to be leaking from the space between the nib and the body. I've used it for a few days and on one ocassion it emptied the entire converter into the cap and when I opened the cap all the ink poured over my hands and clothes :(.

Pic of the leak.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

Attached Images

• IMG_20140801_191940.jpg

Edited by akshaydashrath, 01 August 2014 - 18:30.

Sponsored Content

#2 discopig

discopig

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 19:07

Re-seating the nib and the feed will most likely fix the problem. They are friction fit, so you can simply pull them out, align them, and put them back in.

#3 akshaydashrath

akshaydashrath

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2014 - 19:16

@discopig tried that, didn't work :(

#4 discopig

discopig

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:59

Do you have a 5x (or better) loupe to check out the collar? I think there might be a small crack in there somewhere, otherwise I'm really not sure what could be causing this.

Another thing I've read may cause leaks is having the converter or cartridge not be pushed in all the way, but that seems unlikely (although it wouldn't hurt to check and push it in, just in case)

Edited by discopig, 02 August 2014 - 02:02.

#5 FountainPages

FountainPages

Runs With Sharp Pens!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:50

Same thing happened to a 3776 Century I had. The friction fit did not. The nib and feed rotated way too easily in the section and leaked all over the place. I even tried wrapping the feed with teflon tape, didn't work. Threw it out. Waste of money.

letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain

#6 KBeezie

KBeezie

Gerbil Charmer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,553 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2014 - 13:16

@discopig tried that, didn't work :(

What about rotating the nib/feed to a different part (assuming that maybe it's tighter at a different angle). If not, seek an exchange. 

#7 maverink

maverink

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2014 - 15:33

+1 seek an exchange 

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F
And all indian pens

#8 akshaydashrath

akshaydashrath

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2014 - 16:12

Thanks all, I think thats what I'm going to do, try to get an exchange.

#9 Flounder

Flounder

Forum Moderate

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 22:28

Have a look inside this Pilot Custom Heritage 92. Instead of relying on the just the tightness of the friction fit between the section and the nib & feed, there's a sort of softish silicon area that seals against the back end of the feed. I thought that was pretty neat. Touch of quality you wouldn't notice normally.

PilotCustomHeritage92FeedGasket.jpg

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

#10 Dillo

Dillo

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,643 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 22:44

Have a look inside this Pilot Custom Heritage 92. Instead of relying on the just the tightness of the friction fit between the section and the nib & feed, there's a sort of softish silicon area that seals against the back end of the feed. I thought that was pretty neat. Touch of quality you wouldn't notice normally.

PilotCustomHeritage92FeedGasket.jpg

That bit is made out of urethane. A lot of Pilot Custom pens have it to seal the end of the feed better. I think it's a nice touch.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Dillon

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: platinum 3776, leaking

Sponsored Content

|