The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Organics Studio Gregor Mendel

ink review green organics studio

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 yogalarva

yogalarva

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:29

Alright, this is an ink that I meant to review long ago and then because of some sad tech confusion it didn’t happen.  But, now it’s ready, perhaps a bit too late.  Yesterday there was a post on the Organics Studio Facebook page saying that they are discontinuing Gregor Mendel, so all that’s left is what’s out there…  

fpn_1406892443__tumblr_inline_n9lt2gcee8

This ink is really neat.  It’s colored using chlorophyll, which is the same thing that makes plants green.  It’s also a pigmented ink, which makes it very water resistant, as you can see above.  On the other hand, this is a far less saturated ink than some other modern ones, but I still find it readable enough for daily use, especially if you are using it in a broad or stub nib.

fpn_1406892491__tumblr_inline_n9lt59l8fv

Flow was good, it was easy to clean, and I really can’t think of a single downside to this ink.  It even smells good, with a slight minty scent that’s a refreshing change from the chemical-y smell we are all probably familiar with at this point.

Like I said, this ink is now available in pretty limited quantities, so I would say that if you want it, get it now.  I can’t quite decide if I would use it enough to justify buying a full bottle or not, but I’m sure that if I wait a few more days the decision will probably make itself for me.

This ink was purchased with my own money and I am not being compensated for this review in any way.  All opinions expressed above are my own and you are free to disagree with them if you wish.

Fountain pen blog | Personal blog

Current collection: Pilot Vanishing Point, TWSBI Vac 700, Kaweco Al Sport, Lamy Safari, Nemosine Singularity

Sponsored Content

#2 bardiir

bardiir

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:42

FYI: See http://www.fountainp...cs-studio-inks/

Isaac Newton is discontinued too now, so if you're going so snag up a Gregor Mendel you might also want to get an Isaac Newton one maybe :D

Edited by bardiir, 01 August 2014 - 11:51.

My Pens/Nibs (inked/active): Lamy Studio/Vista/Joy (XXF slight-flex custom | 14k EF | EF | F | 14k M | M | B | 14k 1.1 custom | 1.1 | 1.5 | 1.9), TWSBI Diamond 580 (F | Pendleton BadBoy | Zebra G | F.P.R. semi-flex), Pilot Falcon EF, Penkala Vintage 14k semi-flex, Pilot Parallel (2.4 | 3.8 | 6.0)

I'm still looking for help/data/supporters/sponsors for my Ink Database - It already contains over 900 Inks but is still low on data about the inks except on the Inks I got myself or where I found nice data sheets. So Im looking for these: InkSamples mailed to me, Permissions to use InkReviews - preferable by people who have a lot of InkReviews online, InkReviews mailed to me so I can scan them, Sponsors that will help me to finance InkSamples, People willing to trade InkSamples (list of available Inks from me is available via PM request - please include available Inks)

#3 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,686 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2014 - 20:00

Thank you for the review!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#4 Aurko

Aurko

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 20:16

I really enjoyed Gregor Mendel but for me it made a mess of my flex pens. For some reason that specific ink just drips out of my flex pens even if I'm not moving it or anything. It was strange. No other ink has ever done that. I loved how it looked with broader nibs but it was too faded with my japanese fine nib for me to continue using. I would actually consider buying a bottle though since it's no longer being continued.

#5 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2014 - 21:49

Thanks for the review. i like the colour and properties of that ink but the question remains... how cum does a young company like that offer a new ink and then discontinue it in such a short time?????

Edited by lapis, 01 August 2014 - 21:54.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#6 yogalarva

yogalarva

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:25

Thanks for the review. i like the colour and properties of that ink but the question remains... how cum does a young company like that offer a new ink and then discontinue it in such a short time?????

From what their post said, it sounds like it's a decision of necessity.  That's the bummer about being a small, young company - there's only so much that one or a few people can do when their living situation changes and they have to move, which I think is what the case here is...

Current collection: Pilot Vanishing Point, TWSBI Vac 700, Kaweco Al Sport, Lamy Safari, Nemosine Singularity

#7 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2014 - 02:10

Was the chlorophyll from pea plants?

(Sorry, compulsive biologist in-joke...)

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

#8 Fox Point

Fox Point

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:08

I was too late to get a bottle and am in mourning... Lovely ink, had dreamed of a chlorophyll ink every time I did chlorophyll or plant protein extraction simply because of the glorious colour it is when fresh. Two mL is not enough!

#9 bardiir

bardiir

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:53

I was too late to get a bottle and am in mourning... Lovely ink, had dreamed of a chlorophyll ink every time I did chlorophyll or plant protein extraction simply because of the glorious colour it is when fresh. Two mL is not enough!

There are some still in stock on some shops. So maybe you just need to ask around if someone has any left.

My Pens/Nibs (inked/active): Lamy Studio/Vista/Joy (XXF slight-flex custom | 14k EF | EF | F | 14k M | M | B | 14k 1.1 custom | 1.1 | 1.5 | 1.9), TWSBI Diamond 580 (F | Pendleton BadBoy | Zebra G | F.P.R. semi-flex), Pilot Falcon EF, Penkala Vintage 14k semi-flex, Pilot Parallel (2.4 | 3.8 | 6.0)

I'm still looking for help/data/supporters/sponsors for my Ink Database - It already contains over 900 Inks but is still low on data about the inks except on the Inks I got myself or where I found nice data sheets. So Im looking for these: InkSamples mailed to me, Permissions to use InkReviews - preferable by people who have a lot of InkReviews online, InkReviews mailed to me so I can scan them, Sponsors that will help me to finance InkSamples, People willing to trade InkSamples (list of available Inks from me is available via PM request - please include available Inks)

#10 yogalarva

yogalarva

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:10

It looks like Zeller Writing Co still has full bottles - no affiliation, just the first place I thought to check after Goulet that carries OS

#11 white_lotus

white_lotus

Caution: Absinthe Distiller with Ink

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:42

Anderson Pens also sells the Organics Studio inks and seems to have the Gregor Mendel in stock. No affiliation with them.

#lapis, OS is a one person company. So there's only so many inks one can make.

#12 PS104

PS104

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:45

Bertram's Inkwell carries Organics Studio

Edited by PS104, 21 August 2014 - 03:45.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ink review, green, organics studio

Sponsored Content

|