The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Diamine Tyrian Purple

diamine purple 2014

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 MalcolmH

MalcolmH

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2014 - 16:53

Both of the new inks. Nice shading and flow.

I like the idea that Tyrian Purple is named after an ancient dye sourced from a sea mollusc :-)

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Lovely work migo. 

Sponsored Content

#22 EFP

EFP

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 22:54

Lovely ~ seeing its similarity to Rustic Brown I can appreciate its warmth, as well as being "dusty" which I prefer in a purple.

#23 proton007

proton007

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:17

Oooh...
:puddle:

Both of them on my list now. Tyrian Purple and Autumn Oak.

You turn your attention away for a while, and a few new and gorgeous inks pop up on the scene. It's a bittersweet feeling.

Edited by proton007, 05 August 2014 - 01:18.

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

#24 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,686 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:09

Both of the new inks. Nice shading and flow.

I like the idea that Tyrian Purple is named after an ancient dye sourced from a sea mollusc :-)

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

WOW

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#25 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,686 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:09

Cybaea, thank you!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#26 Tweel

Tweel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 20:43

How does this ink compare to J. Herbin Poussière De Lune?

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

#27 Bass Culture

Bass Culture

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 August 2014 - 13:08

Got my sample last night and inked up my (very wet) Cross Apogee with it.  It reminds me a little of Kaweco Lavender, which initially struck me as less vibrant than I was expecting.  Now I think both it and Tyrian Purple are really nice, easy to use inks, with great shading, which are rather more subtle and less 'me, me me!' in the way they go about their business.  They offer a sort of under-stated class which I'm finding really appealing. 

#28 dannyboy

dannyboy

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,139 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 14:05

Received Tyrian Purple yesterday and your review is spot on! Thanks for all the Diamine colors you display for us. Wonderful review!

#29 corniche

corniche

Antique

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 August 2014 - 23:53

Hello Cybaea,

Thank you for posting this - I love the text of your review - may God bless and keep you.  :)

This is an interesting purple - I may use it as an editing color; if not for more.  I like inks with good flow and lubrication.

All the best & God bless,

Sean :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

#30 TheLacOperon

TheLacOperon

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:41

For those who do not know: Tyr was an import city in the Phonecians, who's Punic title was because they sold purple dye.

"Nun. By the pen and what they inscribe."

Surah Qalam (The Pen).

#31 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,686 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2014 - 20:42

For those who do not know: Tyr was an import city in the Phonecians, who's Punic title was because they sold purple dye.

Thank you.  I originally thought it was one of the planets from the original Star Trek, you know, located somewhere near a Tribble planet.

#32 mothy

mothy

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2014 - 18:00

anyone compare this to the old bsiar? looks like it could be a pretty good candidate to my eyes (admittedly eyesight isnt a strong point of mine)

#33 migo984

migo984

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,765 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 18:34

anyone compare this to the old bsiar? looks like it could be a pretty good candidate to my eyes (admittedly eyesight isnt a strong point of mine)

Yes I did a comparison and it's pretty close to old BSiAR

[attachment=271595:image.jpg]

Verba volant, scripta manent

#34 cybaea

cybaea

Messsage me

• Member - Gold

• 1,014 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2014 - 19:39

Yes I did a comparison and it's pretty close to old BSiAR

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Nice! Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

#35 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,733 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2014 - 21:46

Pretty color.  And it looks to be close to both Yama-budo and the old formula BSiAR?  Another ink to add to the must try list!  Okay, where do I sign up? :wub: 

Ruth Morisson aka inkstainedruth 

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#36 martinbir

martinbir

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:01

Well, mine arrived yesterday and first impressions are good.

I have been looking for a maroon/purple colour and have several near misses but this might finally be it. That said, it is very similar to Merlot but washed-out. I shall try diluting Merlot and won't be surprised if I come up with a match!

Cyebea, thanks for the Wikipedia link where I note the colour is described as a reddish purple, but is this one actually purple? On the one hand we have Diamine's highly imaginative colour names (Steel Blue anyone?) and on the other the minefield of individual colour perception. So, of those who have tried the ink, what do you think? Maroon or purple?

#37 migo984

migo984

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,765 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:47

This is cotton dyed with the traditional pure dye from the Murex mollusc shell. It has always been known as purple. Question is, how close is the Diamine ink to the traditional Tyrian purple?

[attachment=271663:image.jpg]

[attachment=271664:image.jpg]

Verba volant, scripta manent

#38 Mezzie

Mezzie

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 22:07

Where are you guys getting your hands on this? It's not available yet from my usual ink suppliers.

#39 cybaea

cybaea

Messsage me

• Member - Gold

• 1,014 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:58

Where are you guys getting your hands on this? It's not available yet from my usual ink suppliers.

Was released by Diamine on August 1, 2014 and is available at least from them and from the usual UK retailers (e.g. Cult Pens, who ships internationally). Depending on where in the world you are, it may take some time for the local distributers to pick it up.

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

#40 Mezzie

Mezzie

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:56

Thanks! I'll try to be patient until it makes its way here.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diamine, purple, 2014

Sponsored Content

|