Heavy Pens, Preferably Piston Filled/refillable With A Bottle. Hand Tremors

Ana2008

Try the Omas Paragon Arco (new version). Huge diameter barrel and weighted towards the nib. I enjoy mine.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• ddyager

• Fox Point

• Ana2008

The 2000 steel is heavy, esp. posted, but the weight is in the rear. The Lamy Dialog 3 is very heavy and the weight is full toward the nib. Good luck!

Edited by Namo

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

Giuliano Mazzuoli Micrometer; 50 gm mass (2 oz.), milled out of solid aluminum stock, with one of the smoothest nibs I have had the pleasure to write with and own. Currently someone has one for $120.00 buy it now on the bay. Unfortunately it is a cartridge converter, but it uses a nice converter, and I have not had any problems with it, though I can imagine unscrewing the barrel to gain access to the converter could be a problem, as well as grasping the converter to use it to fill the pen. But if you have someone who could fill it for you, then it is a great heavy and stout pen.

I echo shuuemura's recommendation for a new OMAS Paragon. They are fat, heavy, and the nibs are fairly firm, which might also help. Moreover the weight is towards the nib. But even the cotton resin model is still pricey.

My mother has the same condition; she's had it for years. She refuses to take any medication for it. And she would not let me spend too much on a pen for her, but we have found that the firmer nibs (such as Lamy steel nibs) help her most.

In short, a firm nib should also be considered as a variable in an ideal pen for you.

Lamy 2000 in stainless steel is a piston filler and it weighs a ton - among the heaviest fountain pens you can get.

My Dad has mitochondrial myopathy which has seriously affected his grip. He has always been a lifelong fountain pen user but had reverted to using a weighted gel pen he found in work. I lent him my Lamy 2000 to try out but it didn't work out for him, he didn't feel the positioning of the weight helped him in any way. When I was in Germany a few weeks a go I picked up a used Lamy Dialog 3 at a very good price for him to try out. The Dialog works perfectly for him. I'm not sure if the design appeals to him in any way but he uses it all the time now.

Read the diameter specs carefully. Those of us who use really large pens might call a Paragon or Lamy a mid-size. I lean toward the .15 sections and rarely pick up a .13 or smaller.

That's a great point - 'big' and 'heavy' to some degree depend on what you're used to. Also relative to hand size. For my largish hands, most of the pens that work best with my tremor have been a minimum of 4" in barrel length (uncapped, not counting the nib), 0.4-0.6" barrel diameter, 0.4" or greater section diameter (but section shape/length is more important). Weights have been all over the place depending on balance and the other factors - as low as 25 gm up to 50 gm or so.

As folks mentioned above, firmer nibs really do work better, and fine nibs definitely accentuate the shaky lines. In fact, I have sometimes used a 0.7 mm cursive italic nib. The handwriting was still pretty awful, but someone even commented that it looked elegant !?!

It might be peculiar to me, but I find printing (I think the method is called 'ball and stick') is much better than cursive writing. Very slow, but much more legible.

David

That's a great point - 'big' and 'heavy' to some degree depend on what you're used to. Also relative to hand size. For my largish hands, most of the pens that work best with my tremor have been a minimum of 4" in barrel length (uncapped, not counting the nib), 0.4-0.6" barrel diameter, 0.4" or greater section diameter (but section shape/length is more important). Weights have been all over the place depending on balance and the other factors - as low as 25 gm up to 50 gm or so.

As folks mentioned above, firmer nibs really do work better, and fine nibs definitely accentuate the shaky lines. In fact, I have sometimes used a 0.7 mm cursive italic nib. The handwriting was still pretty awful, but someone even commented that it looked elegant !?!

It might be peculiar to me, but I find printing (I think the method is called 'ball and stick') is much better than cursive writing. Very slow, but much more legible.

David

It may be easier to just refer to the pens length and weight, instead of big and heavy.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

Jinhao X-450 and X-750 are fairly heavy (>30g); mine are both smooth writers.

Good luck,

Leon

I suggest you check out hisnibs.com... he specializes in Chinese pens which are often VERY heavy... I think if you sent him an e he could direct you to some very specific ones that are quite heavy...

skyppere

Everyone has suggested a good heavy pen, mine would be the Lamy 2000 Stainless Steel. However Medtronics make an implantable device that does a remarkable job of controlling essential tremor. Speak with your physician about it.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain

I do not favor heavy or big pens, but I bought a Keigulu 316 from Todd at I sell Pens and it is heavy and of decent girth. And, it seems to still be available for $20. So far it is the best $20 pen I ever bought.

In terms of affordable, quality pens, the Sheaffer 300 is quite heavy with a very heavy cap. When the cap is posted it has a profound damping effect on the writing.

Edited by UK Mike

Pens and paper everywhere, yet all our hearts did sink,

Pens and paper everywhere, but not a drop of ink.

"Cursive writing does not mean what I think it does"

I have developed "Essential Tremor." This is a condition that causes my hands, arms, and head to shake involuntarily, sort of like Parkinson's Disease, but different. I hate it, because hand writing, which I love to do so much, has become difficult and messy. Using heavy pens helps a lot, but the only heavy pens I've found are ball point pens. :(

Does anyone have any suggestions? What is the heaviest fountain pen you have ever used?

For your consideration..at ISELLPENSDOTCOM..

under Other Brands..the heavy weight..Antique Snake..

Grape..Dragon..Gold Dragon fountain pens..with very

nice German made fine/medium nibs....Cartridge Converter

or international cartridge filler at $35 usd.

The Stipula Iris in hazelnut celluloid is perhaps the heaviest

pen which gets regular use by me.

Fred

Welcome once again. ~ Barth Gimble

Edited by Freddy

I have the ballpoint version. With its six sides, it's not very comfortable to use for extended periods. Great for quick notes, but not a daily writer.

I don't mind the six sides much at all, but I do find it a bit back heavy (also the ballpoint) I find it comfortable or extended use with the screw drivers removed as that fixes the balance for me. The angles make it like a thick pencil. I normally write with slim and short pens, though - how do you find the balance?

Sheaffer Heritage/ Legacy. Shaped like the PfM but mostly metal (brass?). The great Sheaffer inlaid nib. Cartridge / converter. Also consider the out-of-production Sheaffer Intrigue. Sells for about $150 on Ebay. All metal, inlaid nib, strange hybrid filling system.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

I don't mind the six sides much at all, but I do find it a bit back heavy (also the ballpoint) I find it comfortable or extended use with the screw drivers removed as that fixes the balance for me. The angles make it like a thick pencil. I normally write with slim and short pens, though - how do you find the balance?

Back heavy for me too. Removed the screw divers and it was much better balanced for me.

For your consideration..at ISELLPENSDOTCOM..

under Other Brands..the heavy weight..Antique Snake..

Grape..Dragon..Gold Dragon fountain pens..with very

nice German made fine/medium nibs....Cartridge Converter

or international cartridge filler at $35 usd.

The Stipula Iris in hazelnut celluloid is perhaps the heaviest

pen which gets regular use by me.

Fred

Welcome once again. ~ Barth Gimble

I have the 'grape' pen described above and it is without a doubt the heaviest pen I've ever owned! and I like it!

skyppere