Heavy Pens, Preferably Piston Filled/refillable With A Bottle. Hand Tremors

Ana2008

Does anyone know of any heavy fountain pens out there? I mean substantially heavy. Preferably refillable ones, like a piston fill one. I have developed "Essential Tremor." This is a condition that causes my hands, arms, and head to shake involuntarily, sort of like Parkinson's Disease, but different. I hate it, because hand writing, which I love to do so much, has become difficult and messy. Using heavy pens helps a lot, but the only heavy pens I've found are ball point pens. :(

Does anyone have any suggestions? What is the heaviest fountain pen you have ever used?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Skyppere

• Ghost Plane

• ddyager

• Ana2008

Here's one site that details weight:

http://www.nibs.com/pen_measures/

I know there is another one - once I find it I will edit this post.

Here it is:

http://www.vintagepens.com/pendata.pdf

Edited by playtime

"Writing is 1/3 nib width & flex, 1/3 paper and 1/3 ink. In that order."Bo Bo Olson

"No one needs to rotate a pen while using an oblique, in fact, that's against the whole concept of an oblique, which is to give you shading without any special effort."Professor Propas, 24 December 2010

"IMHO, the only advantage of the 149 is increased girth if needed, increased gold if wanted and increased prestige if perceived. I have three, but hardly ever use them. After all, they hold the same amount of ink as a 146."FredRydr, 12 March 2015

"Surely half the pleasure of life is sardonic comment on the passing show."Sir Peter Strawson

The Jinhao 159 is probably my heaviest pen. I've seen them recently on the 'bay for $5. They are made of solid brass so it's also unlikely to suffer damage (other than cosmetic) if dropped. Last, they use #6 nibs so if the stock Jinhao medium isn't your cup of tea you can pick up a replacement from a multitude of sources for cheap (e.g. Goulet, xfountainpens, hisnibs etc.). Best of luck to you:-)

@arts_nibs

Monteverde Tool pen, but it is cartridge-filled, sorry. It is very heavy and quite long though, but not terribly thick, and the 3 rulers, 2 screwdrivers, level and touch device stylus migt be nice features. Goulet has a ridiculously fabulous red one...

The heaviest pen I bought was the Franklin-Christoph 29 - the Bellus. It weighs 2 oz. or 56.7 g.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

I suggest you go visit your doctor and get a prescription for propanolol which is the beta-blocker treatment that is used for this condition.

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

Monteverde Tool pen, but it is cartridge-filled, sorry. It is very heavy and quite long though, but not terribly thick, and the 3 rulers, 2 screwdrivers, level and touch device stylus migt be nice features. Goulet has a ridiculously fabulous red one...

I have the ballpoint version. With its six sides, it's not very comfortable to use for extended periods. Great for quick notes, but not a daily writer.

I don't personally have it but the tombow egg might help.

If anybody wants to buy a FPR triveni, a waterman's crusader with a modified barrel, or faber castell pitt brush pens I have one just for you!

i'm not sure how it will fare with you but Vintage I think Jumbo pens (defunct japanese company) might help you they made pens for people with arthritis like absolute girthy pens...

Which begs the question do the remaining fp makers still think of some diseases when designing fountain pens... Or these are trully niche

Well other than that indeed lamy 2000M is heavy and if pen girth might help aleviate the problem delta dolcevita maximum(didi I get the size right?) might help

Graf von faber castell pens as well are considered heavy but they are cartridge converter pens

Edited by Algester

Italix pens by Mr Pen are mostly very heavy, +\- 50 grams. Refillable from bottle with a converter. Of the more expensive pens Pelikan M1000 is quite a brick with it's brass piston.

Non notisi signi.

Jinhao 159, but i`m afraid it won`t improve your writing much. Still, it`s a good writter for only 10 usd. Good luck.

I second the Lamy 2k in stainless steel - it's super heavy but unfortunately quite pricey. Sorry to hear about your health troubles. My father has MS and so I know how frustrating that can be. :-(

Fountain pen blog | Personal blog

Current collection: Pilot Vanishing Point, TWSBI Vac 700, Kaweco Al Sport, Lamy Safari, Nemosine Singularity

You guys are awesome! Thank you for all of the suggestions!

playtime, that's a great list. Too bad the heaviest are so expensive.

I suggest you go visit your doctor and get a prescription for propanolol which is the beta-blocker treatment that is used for this condition.

I was actually just prescribed propranolol. It works a little, but my hands still shake.

Yard o led grand viceroys are heavy pens, 66gms +

That's a heavy pen. I think I might go with the Grand Viceroy. It's on the top end of my price range, but it looks like a nice pen.

I couldn't find the Towpaw egg for sale anywhere in the US.

I've been grappling with the same issue. Very frustrating, as well as inconvenient on the days when I can't write at all. Propranolol helps, stress reduction helps. At least in my particular case, choosing a good fountain pen has been complicated, but through trial and error, fairly successful. For me it isn't just weight - it's also length, balance, section diameter/shape, and ultimately the interaction of all those factors. The right section size/shape helps my fingers and hand relax, which reduces the shaking. For me, the best is a moderately large diameter with a slight taper. Weight helps, and having the balance favoring the nib end slightly helps a little more. However, really the search has been for finding the pen(s) with the combination of characteristics that allows my hand to relax while giving me enough control. The successful pens that I've found, by trying many, don't necessarily follow all the 'rules.' For instance, one is the Pelikan M800 even though the balance is not forward. The other folks have given a lot of great suggestions for pens to try, and I hope you find just the right one to help you get back to your writing.

Regards, David

By the way, it makes no sense at all given the observations above, but you might try a Parker 51. For some reason, that pen is so natural-feeling in my hand that many days I can use it just as effectively as a larger heavier pen.

Try longer, fatter pens as well as heavy. Love the YOL Grand & broad nibs may make the lines look less like dancing spiders. But a fat pen such as the Delta piston fillers Bryant Greer has in his Chatterley Luxuries pen site may also help your hand relax & used ones with steel nibs won't break the bank.