Why Do We Love Fountain Pens?

a.zy.lee

post-110643-0-37463100-1406837589.jpg

A friend asked me why I was into fountain pens when I informed him of my new hobby. I had no idea what to say!

Why do we love these magnificent instruments?

Their superiority over ballpoints shouldn't be considered a reason, because that may be the reason why we use them, but not the reason why we love them.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stacybean

• FountainPages

• Sasha Royale

• Mezzie

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's the way I have always done it.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

The look of a fountain pen is wonderful.

The nib is [usually] very smooth, so it writes without any pressure. It feels like the nib is gliding over the paper.

It makes my handwriting look nice.

It looks cool. :D

-William S. Park

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

There is just a visceral joy when you write on quality paper with a smooth, wet nib and the word you just wrote is shiny and liquid for a few seconds before drying on the page! :)

Possibly why some only use sable brushes? Only oils, never acrylics? The art of the written word, distilled to a magical union of pen-ink-paper? This may describe some. Collectors of fine things and/or antiquities, others. I have an admiration of the mechanical/artistic that pens speak to. Tools that allow my best, while also holding the promise of never holding me back while I increase my skills. Something about striving to attain the levels my tools are capable of keeps me moving forward.

Paul

"Nothing is impossible, even the word says 'I'm Possible!'" Audrey Hepburn

Unlike other writing instruments (all ballpoints are very much the same), fountain pens have their own personalities, each one a different experience to write with, a different type of beauty. That's what I say to a friend who wonders "you've already got nice fountain pens, why do you want more?".

Also, they're like jewels, aesthetically beautiful, again each one different from the others.

To see wet ink being left behind on paper is a visceral pleasure not equalled by word processors or ballpoints. Word processors have their place, but they're work-horses.

Hi,

I like fountain pens because to me they feel nice on the paper, I love all the colours fountain pen ink comes in, and I like using things that can be reused. Every fountain pen writes differently, and the way it writes can be adjusted. I also write a lot more quickly with a fountain pen than with a ballpoint, pencil, or rollerball.

Dillon

Edited by Dillo

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

They take me back to a slower time, an age of simpler things. For me it is the forties and fifties, a golden age of sorts. When I am writing with a fountain pen I become more introspective, I have time to think before and as I write. I also enjoy the feel of nib to paper, the pure mechanical act of writing. To me the fountain pen reminds me to do better, write better and perhaps, think more. It is a joy to me to hold a piece of history. They just take me back to a very special place.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain

I like fountain pens because none of my coworkers know how to use them. Therefore, they're afraid of them. And, therefore, they never ask to "borrow" them.

Besides, a fountain pen can be a thing of beauty, and writing with a fountain pen can be a sensual experience.

Edited by Yaakova

"Don't be humble, you're not that great." Golda Meir

I'm sick. I need help. :lticaptd:

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

They're fun, and most people don't own them.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

A greater involvement and understanding of the function of the pen, as a machine, that puts marks on paper. I think few ballpoint users actually have a deep understanding on how it functions to put marks on paper; it's basically a "black box" that comes from the factory and meant to work, and that's all they need to know. This is the reason why some fountain pen novices brought up on ballpoint pens feel they have to learn a lot of things just to get the pen working, but for me, it's natural, and the "black box" nature of a ballpoint is occasionally frustrating too.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

Because fountain pen people are so nice

"And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.". Matthew 4:19

It is a much better writing experience ... The feel of pen to paper.

My handwriting looks better.

I enjoy looking at my pen while writing. I have never paused writing to admire the beauty of a Bic Stic (or similar) pen. :P

I love writing with different colors. (Buying a colorful 20pk of InkJoy ballpoints is not the same!)

It's nice to use something a little less ubiquitous.

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

The fountain pen is old and it is new.

It will live on forever only outlasted by the words it has written on the page.

Too its glistening nib and the swirling acrylics it screams "creativity"

It is magic and it is beauty

and

it is what we love.

It is...

The Fountain Pen

"Never Say goodbye, because saying goodbye means going away and going away means forgetting,"

-Peter Pan

Ink choices. Like the very weird Kung Te-chen which starts dark blue and ends up in a weird purple. To the Kon-Peki that just makes you happy. I want to see a ball point do that.

I get wrist pains from Ballpoints though and skipping issues due to me not pressing down hard enough.

#Nope