The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

New Pelikan M101N Tortoiseshell Red

pelikan m101n

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 arran

arran

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:23

[quote name="The Good Captain" post="3131260" timestamp="1411781158"]

Arrived on time. FANTASTIC! Just my opinion but the best of the three so far - not including the daft lizard one with the diamonds - and the EF nib is so wonderful. I don't care that it's a 'modern' version. Just a great pen. I'm using Edelstein Tanzanite in it and that will probably be the ink of choice.[/quote

Like my EF as well
Nice pen but on the wetty side with diamine red dragon

Sponsored Content

#62 oronet commander

oronet commander

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:06

Very nice indeed! Is it totally plastic or has some brass parts as in the M800 and M1000?

#63 Professor Plume

Professor Plume

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2014 - 15:49

[quote name="arran" post="3135148" timestamp="1412162637"][quote name="The Good Captain" post="3131260" timestamp="1411781158"]
Arrived on time. FANTASTIC! Just my opinion but the best of the three so far - not including the daft lizard one with the diamonds - and the EF nib is so wonderful. I don't care that it's a 'modern' version. Just a great pen. I'm using Edelstein Tanzanite in it and that will probably be the ink of choice.[/quote

Like my EF as well
Nice pen but on the wetty side with diamine red dragon[/quote]

Diamine Red Dragon is an excellent choice for this pen. I'm considering Caran d' Ache Infra Red but may search for something with a bit more orange in it. Still waiting on my pen to arrive-- release date September and it's now October 1.

#64 belfire

belfire

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 November 2014 - 18:55

Not that I want to be a party pooper, but for the sake of balance I would like to contribute my view that the red tortoise is an exceptionally ugly pen.  I had placed an advance order but when I actually saw the thing I cancelled it.  The brown tortoise is exquisite, but the red tortoise is vulgar. 

#65 Matlock

Matlock

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 November 2014 - 19:02

Not that I want to be a party pooper, but for the sake of balance I would like to contribute my view that the red tortoise is an exceptionally ugly pen.  I had placed an advance order but when I actually saw the thing I cancelled it.  The brown tortoise is exquisite, but the red tortoise is vulgar. 

You are not a party pooper. As they say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". I have got my red tortoise and I think it is a great pen, as arran said, the best of the three. It is just as well we don't all like the same things, what a boring world it would be.

Peter

#66 risingsun

risingsun

Collector Mentality

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2014 - 14:38

After bidding and losing (or not even being close) on numerous eBay auctions for one, I woke this morning to notification that I had won myself a new M101N Red Tortoiseshell from Regina Martini.  Prices are coming down, in my opinion due in large part to Pen Chalet's Black Friday-Cyber Monday deal on this pen, which allowed quite a few buyers to get it for a reasonable price.  I paid $405US shipped from Germany, right about where I thought this pen should be street-priced when it was released.  If anyone is looking for a Red Tortoiseshell, here's one more bidder who is now bowing out of the competition for one.  Regina listed another on eBay at the conclusion of that auction.  Get 'em while they're hot!    :D

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

#67 sargetalon

sargetalon

The answer to life, the universe, and everything

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2014 - 15:01

Congratulations!  I got mine from Regina as well and it's one of my favorites in the flock.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count.  My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

#68 alarickc

alarickc

Inknut

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2014 - 18:01

I was able to get mine for about $400 with shipping from Kingdom Note in Tokyo. If you're comfortable with using a forwarding service it's a great way to avoid an auction.

fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20res

#69 Earthdawn

Earthdawn

FountainPenDay.com

• Member - Gold

• 1,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2015 - 14:44

So I have mine since November and was about to finally do a review and noticed a slight crack where the Tortoise meets the ring between it and the piston knob.

While very minor I fear it may grow. I think since it is not a moving part they just applied too much pressure during assembly.

Otherwise it is beautiful and has a very wet bold nib. 

482DB817-9E06-4B8F-BCC5-2103B13C4CCD_zps

56598FF2-859D-406D-93A8-24178ADEFC72_zps

482DB817-9E06-4B8F-BCC5-2103B13C4CCD_zps

#70 risingsun

risingsun

Collector Mentality

• Member - Gold

• 1,288 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2015 - 15:21

Earthdawn, I'd suggest contacting Pelikan about that.  As this is a special edition, I'd want it fixed before the replacement part becomes a problem with availability...  Sad to see this, and I hope it is just a flaw with the resin cast, rather than a crack created by stress.

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pelikan, m101n

Sponsored Content

|