The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Vintage Aurora 88 Is A Rough Writer

aurora 88 vintage rough writer scratchy nib meister

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 b1lynch

b1lynch

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2014 - 00:06

A few months back I purchased a vintage (c. 1950s) Aurora 88 Nikargenta from what appeared to be a well regarded seller off eBay but when the pen arrived it was hugely disappointing.  The piston leaked, the tines were completely out of alignment and I suspected the iridium on the nib was probably shot.  To her credit the seller adjusted her price downward by an agreed amount and I set out to have the pen restored.  Mike Masuyama restored the piston and tweaked, tuned and smoothed the nib.  I dreamed of this classic beauty smoothly scrolling across the page, flexing gracefully to create elegant lines, letters, etc.  Well, 8 weeks later the pen arrived and the work has been done but honestly the nib is still a bit of a rough ride for me.  It may just be the nature of these nibs, perhaps i'm too heavy handed...I am unsure.  I hate the idea of letting this pen go and before I do I thought I would see if anyone here had any thoughts on these pens, the issues i've described, perhaps even an Aurora 88 expert who could help me understand if the issue is me or the pen.

Thanks!

Sponsored Content

#2 tryphon

tryphon

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2014 - 00:15

Some nibs are past repairing. Fortunately, NOS Aurora 88 nibs are plentiful in Italy. If the piston has been restored properly and the pen does not leak, my suggestion would be to get a new nib from Italy. Keep in mind that the first version of the 88 (the Nizzoli) used a nib that was different from the one used in the later variants. I would suggest an M nib, and if you want to use the pen for everyday, I would pick a manifold (non flexible) nib. Swapping the nibs is very easy and you can do that yourself.

#3 Dr.Grace

Dr.Grace

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,788 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2014 - 00:54

Giovanni, is there a recommended source for Aurora 88 parts in Italy?
These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

#4 b1lynch

b1lynch

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2014 - 23:44

Thanks Tryphon - good advice.  

Good question Dr. Grace....anybody?

bill

#5 Keyless Works

Keyless Works

Antique

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2014 - 00:01

If you want a vintage Aurora 88 nib I would ask Paulo

http://www.zona900.i...02.html?sno=298

45 EURO per nib isn't cheap but if you dont want to give up on the pen it might be a good option. 

edit...bum link 

Edited by Keyless Works, 01 August 2014 - 00:03.

#6 tryphon

tryphon

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,061 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:00

Definitely ask Paolo! He has the largest supply!

#7 slippery when wet

slippery when wet

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:35

How do you know you won't have the same problem with another used nib. Comes down to pot luck I guess.

#8 tryphon

tryphon

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,061 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:36

An honest seller will check the nib and sell only undamaged nibs.

#9 b1lynch

b1lynch

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 August 2014 - 00:17

Thanks all - I have reached out to Paulo via the link to his site and will take it from there....hopefully he can work some magic!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aurora 88, vintage, rough writer, scratchy, nib meister

Sponsored Content

|