S.t. Dupont Classique Clip

NxTxSv

All contemporary S.T. Dupont pens have articulated clips, as far as I know. Was this a feature of the later Classique 1 pens as well? I have recently acquired an S.T. Dupont Classique 1 updated model (1980-1990s), with the click-closure cap, shorter cap length and La Plume Ultime nib. I am convinced the pen is genuine but I am mystified by the clip.

Looking at the clip, the external appearance is the same as all earlier squared-edge clips on Dupont pens and I would assume it is sprung, like those other models; however, on my Classique, there is no articulation of the clip at all. Do these Classiques have articulated clips, or is mine stuck? From distant memory, I recall that my father's early Classique ballpoint had an articulated clip (authenticity guaranteed, again,) but I cannot be sure based on that mere memory.

I have searched the forums but I have not found much information relating to something as obscure, or specific, as this. Any help, especially from Classique owners, is much appreciated.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NxTxSv

• sexauerw

• jchch1950

• jar

I have a Classique I, but I have no idea about how to date it. I can tell you that the only spring to the clip is the beam length of the clip itself, there is no other spring on mine.

http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/kNM,NDMIY3T1M2/3623024.0/800/p/S._T._Dupont_Classique%2C_closed.jpg

http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/kNM,NDMIY3T1M2/3623025.0/800/p/S._T._Dupont_Classique%2C_open.jpg

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

Thank you, both, for your replies. It looks like I'll have to do more research into the older Dupont pens - I seem to be quite misinformed, despite being a Dupont admirer.

Sexauerw, the main changes I can think of is that the original 1973 Classiques had a long section in only black plastic, with no click mechanism, and a very small, short flat nib. They also had a longer cap, so that proportionately, the cap was almost half the length of the pen. Beyond this, I have no clue how the rest of the Classique 1s are differentiated.

If I'm not wrong Dupont had four model before the Montparnasse : the original with a nib made by Pelikan.one with a shorter cap and the nib made in house with a section , La Plume Ultime that had no section and one that is thicker than the three others.I dont have the old Fahrney's catalogs but they included the different models.If some one has photos they can help clarify the differences.

jchch1950, thanks for your post. I think you are spot-on with your list of models - I think the Saint Germain was around the time of the Ellipsis? I have difficulty finding information about early Dupont pens and the bit about the very first Classique using a Pelikan nib is very interesting, and new, to me! The pen I have is like the one in the photograph Sexauerw posted, which would be the Classique with the in-house nib.

As an aside, are those early Pelikan-sourced nibs very different in character from the later in-house ones?

The Saint Germain was before the Ellipsis,it has two different sizes. The original nibs were as good as the later ones.The early Duponts were produce in a variety of chines lacquers some of them with incredible tones.

Thanks for the clarification on the Saint Germain. Alas, the Chinese lacquer finishes tend to come with a corresponding increase in price and my Classique is in the humblest finish, silver plate. I'm partial to the Chinese lacquer finishes, but for now, I'm limited to a black and palladium Olympio XL and an Ecaille II ballpoint. It is also impossible to keep track of the various Chinese lacquer finishes on the Classique, it seems.

• 9 months later...

Hi, I've just bumped in to this topic and even if it not so fresh, I wanted to share with you how I solved a similar issue with my first edition Classiques.

At the time I found that some other cartridges fit and used those for a while, eventually I just decided that I wanted to be sure about the official size, cartridge code.

So I just consulted the official service and he started the search with the serial no in some catalog list he had.

As this hadn't convinced me completely and he was quite friendly he found in some old stash an original converter that fit so we also crosschecked the actual converter type by looks in the service catalog.

Finally, being an official service shop, he also logged in the actual S.T.D. intranet and all of the info was there.

I can personally confirm this as I was actually looking with him the into on the screen.

Actually there was more info about the Classiques that about some newer models that I own.

Hope that after almost a year this still might be helpful to somebody.

Current modern daily users: Montegrappa Miya, Omas AM87, S.T.Dupont D-Line, Stipula Etruria Tuscany Dreams, Tibaldi Modello 60.

Current vintage daily users: Aurora 98p, Big Red Lucky Curve, MB622, P51, P75, Pelikan NN400.

The Classique I, Gatsby, Montparnasse and Lady models all take a cartridge that looks like a short International cartridge but is not. S. T. Dupont still sells these cartridges, they come in a black box as opposed to the red box used for the International compatible cartridges used in all of the newer models. The four models named above will, however, take a Parker or an Aurora cartridge or converter. I have a Classique I, a Gatsby and a Montparnasse and have verified this. I don't have a Lady so I can't be 100% sure that the longer Parker-style cartridges and converters will fit.

My Classique 1 and Gatsby pens came to me sans converters so I have installed Parker converters in both pens. That's the only way that I have used those two pens and I have had no leaks at all.

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

I can confirm with the Classique and Montparnasse that the following will work, besides the original S.T. Dupont converter of the era (mine has a habit of leaking anyway):

- Parker standard (slide-piston) converter

- Parker deluxe (twist) converter

- Parker cartridge (long) -- I met with some slight resistance when screwing the barrel back on the Classique, though

- Parker cartridge (short) -- used in the Duofold Demi size

While all of these fit, they don't always fit perfectly in my pens, with the occasional tiny bit of ink residue outside the section nipple.

I also could not recommend using the Parker slide converter as I have noticed some cracking at the base of the converter from being used in a Dupont. The 2000-2010 UK-era Parker twist converter, with the metal ring at the base of the converter, seems to me to be the safer option.