Allied Forces J. Herbin - De Atramentis.... Terre De Feu - Merlot

Morbus Curiositas

Allied Forces Germany- France

De Atramentis Merlot – J. Herbin Terre de Feu

fpn_1406622113__20140716_143956_resized.

fpn_1406622113__20140716_143956_resized.

Dear FPN Friends

Here is my second Ink comparison in the Allied Forces series.

This time to red(dish) inks. One from Germany, De Atramentis Merlot and one from France, J. Herbin Terre de Feu.

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a617/Morbus_Curiositas/Allied%20Forces%20terre%20de%20Feu%20Da%20Merlot/AlliedforcesteredefuemerlotFPn_zps05ba3e3e.jpg

I have reviewed these inks in separate review already. These reviews are quite thorough (in my humble opinion), I Therefore do not go into details here.

J. Herbin Terre de Feu Review

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/270246-j-herbin-terre-de-feu/

De Atramentis Wine Ink Merlot

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/270756-de-atramentis-wine-ink-merlot/

Why this comparison

Well first of all they they are dark(er) red(dish) inks. And as I aways like to do a little story or history, I put in the WW I theme in this comparison

On August 28. Of 2014 Austria declared war on Serbia, causing the first world war. France and Germany were adversaries in this war. They are know united in the European Union... and for me so these beautiful ink companies are.

The De Atramentis is an Ink made of Wine in this case Merlot. There are several wine inks available.

J. Herbin is an very old French ink companie producing inks with the most beautiful names in the ink business.

On the Inks.

Colour: Both are reddisch inks. The Merlot of course is more red,because it is made of red wine. The Terre the Feu is more of a soil brown (Terre is soil in French) with a distinctive dar red touch to it.

Both inks remind me of Wine though. The Merlot for the Merlot Wine (originates from Bordeaux) the Terre the Feu reminds me of the soil the Merlot (and other grapes) are growing on in some French wine estates….

Well, my advice drink a glass o wine reading this…Cheers :happyberet:

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a617/Morbus_Curiositas/Allied%20Forces%20terre%20de%20Feu%20Da%20Merlot/Alliedforcesteredefuemerlotblatt2FPN_zpsa1803f11.jpg

Conclusion

Is there a winner and therefore a looser?

In this comparsion.... Just like in WW I there are no true winners here.

In contrary to WW I where there were only loosers in 1918. Some lost more some of them less less, but everyone lost brothers in the Terre de Sang (Blood Soil)...

.. There is just good news ... there are NO loosers here :) .

Both are quality inks, Both shade superbly,both inks are smooth and a dream to write with.

No ink is better or worse. They are both yuality inks. They both shade superbly and are a dream to write with :D

Just like a father who wil not chose between his sons, I will not choose either. I am happy to have both "brothers" standing next to each other in my Fountain Pen & Ink cabinet.... (Well buy them both if you can't choose they are not that expensive)....

Well not for politics here.... but ...

France offered there Friendship to Germany who kindly accepted. Resulting in the European Community.

There has been peace in (Western) Europe for 69 years now..,

I have therefore written down the text of Friedrich von Schillers Ode to Joy.

Friedrich von Schiller was a German poet, writer and Philosopher,who honourably received the French statemanship. Beethoven put Ode to Joy on music in his 9th Symphony it is now the symbol of peace and brotherhood in Europe

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a617/Morbus_Curiositas/Allied%20Forces%20terre%20de%20Feu%20Da%20Merlot/AlliedforcesteredefuemerlotOdetojoyFPN_zpsae94fbcb.jpg

Since the pen is mightier than the sword, I hope this peace will unite brothers and sisters worldwide in the coming 100 years*...

Regards

Peter

Well I guess everyone is entitled to have beautiful dreams

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Tricked throughout the centuries...

For centuries people had been tricked by kings & "religion-alism"

In the 20th century people got tricked by communism

Today people get tricked by (neo)capitalism :)

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morbus Curiositas

• amberleadavis

• VivienR

• Fabienne

Thanks for the highly amusing review. I will be testing out Terre de Feu soon and was wondering about a red-brown ink which shaded well. Now I can try Merlot. Not crazy about wine in the ink as that is full of sugars which are sticky BUT maybe it's metaphorical wine and there will be no problems. :thumbup:

P.S. I was highly highly amused by your reference to being a [sic] "sh*tty" artist. :lticaptd: Too funnah. You and Stephen Brown should get together and do a Mad Review series.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Great review! The Merlot is really lovely. I need to get my hands on a bottle soon. I love red inks.

Thanks for the highly amusing review. I will be testing out Terre de Feu soon and was wondering about a red-brown ink which shaded well. Now I can try Merlot. Not crazy about wine in the ink as that is full of sugars which are sticky BUT maybe it's metaphorical wine and there will be no problems. :thumbup:

P.S. I was highly highly amused by your reference to being a [sic] "sh*tty" artist. :lticaptd: Too funnah. You and Stephen Brown should get together and do a Mad Review series.

How cool you know him too.... LORD SBRE Brown,my divine Fountain Pen Hero. To me he is the David Attenborough of Foutain Pen Documentaries :notworthy1:

On that sugar thing

There is no sugar left in the wine (if a dry wine is used).

A little of a technical story.....

During the fermentation process the yeast on the grapes comes in contact with the sugar in the grapes, This process induces two things.

1. Alcohol
  2. Carbon Dioxide

These are made out of the sugars.

In a dry wine (most Merlots are dry wines) all sugar is gone as is the Carbon Dioxide (in a Champagne the Carbon dioxide is captured in the bottle, during it's sugar-induced fermentation within the bottle)

Of course there are sweet wines like Port, Muscat and Late harvest wines.

How does this come (fortunately not by having a diabetic peeing in the wine, their urine is actually sweet, early doctors tested for diabetes by tasting a patients urine... TRUE I am a nurse! cheeeers)

Well how does this work then...

It all has to do with suicidal yeast cells. The funny thing is that yeast cells are the vegetarian equivalent of Harakiri-pilots. Once the fermentation process produces 15-16-% of alcohol.... all the yeast cells die.(well I guess it is a nice way to die.... Winston Churchill took 91 years to do so :puddle: )

In Port wines aquardiente (a 40-45% alcohol beverage) is added during the fermentation process. This causes a mass-murder among the yeast cells, also called Vegetarian Genocide (that last bit is plain rubbish!)

In Muscat or Vendage Tardive (late harvest) wines the grapes contain so much sugar that the yeast cells are terminated before the sugars are.

In both wines this process leaves rest-sugars. These wine are therefore sweet (as diabetes pee) and especially the Port wine sticks to the gums like fleas on a (bleep) artist

Well so far the technical story, I hope it wasn't too boring...

I am neither a Doctor nor a Winemaker.... I am just an educated aloholic :puddle:

Back to Wine inks....

This wine does not contain any sugars. It is not sweet and does not stick (your papers together).... Believe me I know my stuff here because I tasted the ink in my review of

De Atramentis Merlot..

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/270756-de-atramentis-wine-ink-merlot/

Just check out the Photo of my tongue in the above linked review

My findings

It doesn't taste badly at a all. But it stains the tongue. This makes it hard to deny that one has been drinking (pretty nasty for an educated alcoholic)

But must say I prefer a Merlot wine for drinking and a Merlot Ink for writing.... :happyberet:

Dear Fabienne I hope this was helpfull... If you send me your adress in the private messenger I will sent you a postcard with both Terre de Feu and Merlot writtnen on it

Regards Peter

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Great review! The Merlot is really lovely. I need to get my hands on a bottle soon. I love red inks.

Thanks...

I offer you the same.... A postcard with Terre de Feu and Merlot on it...

This way you can see more of the sheer beauty of these inks

Regards,

Peter

On August 28. Of 2014 Austria declared war on Serbia, causing the first world war. France and Germany were adversaries in this war. They are know united in the European Union... and for me so these beautiful ink companies are.

Pardon me if I'm wrong, but didn't World War I begin on 28 July 1914?

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

Pardon me if I'm wrong, but didn't World War I begin on 28 July 1914?

~Epic

Oops now you bring me in to doubt. In memories that sounds more like it... Funnily if I have read the local Tiroler Tageszeitung newspaper)... It stated WWI started in august... The pape have been counting down the days in daily articles....

Wel must check that immediatetly and I will let you know here

Regards

Peter

Oops now you bring me in to doubt. In memories that sounds more like it... Funnily if I have read the local Tiroler Tageszeitung newspaper)... It stated WWI started in august... The pape have been counting down the days in daily articles....

Wel must check that immediatetly and I will let you know here

Regards

Peter

Sorry you are absolutely wright.

How silly of me...

I mixed up the month we are living in July now.... and yes the world started for 100 years and 1 day ago...

Sorry again

Peter

OOps, I was just asking you to do the comparison ... I like the Merlot better.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Well I will send you a postcard with Merlot then :-)

Did you receive your Document ink already?

For a more indepth review of both inks check the seperate reviews under

Ink reviews

Again, a really nice review. And its getting dangerous... I already put the Terre de Feu to my list, and De Atramentis is don't know (yet)... I have Diamine Merlot, its kind of close, but obviously paper and pen also matter... Sadly, I not found a good place to get DA inks, although I have a few in my wish list. Probably I will order them from directly DA's site.

Again, a really nice review. And its getting dangerous... I already put the Terre de Feu to my list, and De Atramentis is don't know (yet)... I have Diamine Merlot, its kind of close, but obviously paper and pen also matter... Sadly, I not found a good place to get DA inks, although I have a few in my wish list. Probably I will order them from directly DA's site.

Hi I know about Diamine... a few of their Inks are on my to buy list.... not to say many inks are...

Funnily they are not Diamine Merlot and syrah.... I have checked the inks and must say that I like the DA Merlot more.... Vribrant but warm wine red.... No wonder as it is actually made with wine... If you leave me your adress in the messenger Iwill send youa postcard with it.

Since you mentioned ordering over the DA website...

there will most probably be a discount action 4=3 meaning order 4 bottles pay only 3....

Dr Jansen of De Atramentis was glad to help me with offering this discount RIGHT NOW for FPN members I know...

I have written this to a few FPN memebers I know.... If Interested write Dr Jansen an e-mail on http://info@de-Atramentis.com

Please make sure you insert the following sentence in your E-mail

Peter 4 für 3, 4 bestellen 3 Zahlen

This way Dr Jansen knows about the discount :excl:

Hope this helps you a bit and brings you joy :D

regards

Peter

Hi I know about Diamine... a few of their Inks are on my to buy list.... not to say many inks are...

Funnily they are not Diamine Merlot and syrah.... I have checked the inks and must say that I like the DA Merlot more.... Vribrant but warm wine red.... No wonder as it is actually made with wine... If you leave me your adress in the messenger Iwill send youa postcard with it.

Since you mentioned ordering over the DA website...

there will most probably be a discount action 4=3 meaning order 4 bottles pay only 3....

Dr Jansen of De Atramentis was glad to help me with offering this discount RIGHT NOW for FPN members I know...

I have written this to a few FPN memebers I know.... If Interested write Dr Jansen an e-mail on http://info@de-Atramentis.com

Please make sure you insert the following sentence in your E-mail

Peter 4 für 3, 4 bestellen 3 Zahlen

This way Dr Jansen knows about the discount :excl:

Hope this helps you a bit and brings you joy :D

regards

Peter

Oh, thank you very much, I will use this soon.. Okay, few months, hope it will still available..

Anyway, big hug for this info...

Well I will send you a postcard with Merlot then :-)

Did you receive your Document ink already?

Not yet.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY