(I C U) Ink Review - Susemai - Black Cat - Black Cashmere

amberleadavis

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• dead_brackets

• white_lotus

• mhguda

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_934w.jpghttp://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_934wb.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 3 weeks later...

(Dang, lost my post. Let's try again). OK, this is the third time

Black cat. First concentration was probably 6.5% not 4% that the sheets say. Later concentration was probably 13% not 16% as some may say.

Anyway, I really like the ink at the original strength. It does have a strong violet/purple undertone and a lot of times it ends up looking deep purple instead of black, but I like it.

fpn_1408487847__img_2544.jpg

fpn_1408497063__img_2545.jpg

fpn_1408497088__img_2546.jpg

fpn_1408497114__img_2547.jpg

fpn_1408497140__img_2548.jpg

fpn_1408497162__img_2549.jpg

fpn_1408497193__img_2550.jpg

fpn_1408497246__img_2551.jpg

fpn_1408497273__img_2552.jpg

fpn_1408497303__img_2553.jpg

Bad Amber.

Original was 13.3% so concentration after you followed Amber's destructions was 6.67%.

So, uh... Black Cat, Black Cashmere ... same ink.

Oh, so it should have gone in the Black Cashmere thread? I wondered why there was no follow up on this one. Thought maybe no one wanted to review a black ink. :)

Re: concentration. OK. Glad I redid it with the "original strength" version.

So, would you buy it?

• 3 weeks later...

OK. My above review is NOT of Black Cat/Cashmere, it is of Black Diamond, as I mis-labeled my sheets of paper.

Below is the real Black Cat/Cashmere diluted properly to 8%. The drying on this ink is quite fast at times, but the ink lacks character as it's just black black black. It may be really useful for people who don't want a tint to their black. Me, I prefer them to have a little something going on. The purplish-black of the Black Diamond I liked more as it just had more going on. Not that this ink is bad or anything just didn't find it to excite me the way some inks do.

fpn_1410108268__img_2621.jpg

fpn_1410108304__img_2620.jpg

fpn_1410108332__img_2619.jpg

fpn_1410108358__img_2618.jpg

So, Black Cat and Black Cashmere look TOTALLY different for me. Black Cashmere actually looks very blue and watery and not at all like ink. I'll post them all here, though - Black Cashmere first.

http://i.imgur.com/PfdLRW1.jpg

Don't believe everything you think.

General observations of Black Cashmere:
I really think this one was labeled incorrectly. This doesn't look black at all, and it doesn't perform like any of the other Susemai inks.
The color is nowhere near black, and the ink felt dry and scratchy in a fairly wet pen. The Plumix normally lays down a pretty good layer of ink, but it was all I could do to get one tiny page out of it. I felt like I had to be pretty forceful with the pen.

Two thumbs enthusiastically down for that one.

General observations of Black Cat:
Black Cat was the opposite of Black Cashmere. Very well behaved, and cleaned up nicely.

The only reason I wouldn't buy this ink is because I already have like 5 bottles of different black inks, and I really only want black when I need a waterproof ink. Any other time, I'm using something with some color, even if it's subtle.

Don't believe everything you think.

General observations of Black Cashmere:

I really think this one was labeled incorrectly. This doesn't look black at all, and it doesn't perform like any of the other Susemai inks.

The color is nowhere near black, and the ink felt dry and scratchy in a fairly wet pen. The Plumix normally lays down a pretty good layer of ink, but it was all I could do to get one tiny page out of it. I felt like I had to be pretty forceful with the pen.

Two thumbs enthusiastically down for that one.

General observations of Black Cat:

Black Cat was the opposite of Black Cashmere. Very well behaved, and cleaned up nicely.

The only reason I wouldn't buy this ink is because I already have like 5 bottles of different black inks, and I really only want black when I need a waterproof ink. Any other time, I'm using something with some color, even if it's subtle.

Black Cashmere = Black Cat.

You did have a mislabeled pipette there. The one that is blue-grey and kind of dry.. is Blue Cashmere V2 ( aka: Too Blue Cashmere)

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

My black cat has gone mouldy :angry:

I put it into a glass jar/tube about a week ago. Undiluted. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. It has orange/brown mould growing on the top that are clearly releasing spores (I can see the pin stalks).

The glass jars are 20ml GC-MS headspace tubes (so clinically clean), sealed when I received them and unused. They are designed to be gas tight. I have not added water or done anything else to it. I emptied the ink directly from the pipette into the jar/tube. All of the ink samples have been sitting on my desk, and none of the others show this.

I will email Amber to upload a photo.

OH MY - that is horrid. I wonder if I had a bad batch of water. I thought I used distilled or purified water and I boiled it.

Black Cat was one of the inks I mixed at my house and not the office.