(I C U) Ink Review - Susemai - Red Cashmere

amberleadavis

Vis - you make even pipettes look pretty. And this looks great in a demonstrator. It didn't stain the demonstrators I tried it in.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Cyber6

• TheRealScubaSteve

• dead_brackets

Here are some thoughts of mine on the Red Cashmere.

First this ink is pure fun. Depending on the amount of dilution it can go from a very dark red, almost red/brown, to a pink, with a fairly pure red in between. It behaves well in every pen and on all papers. I generally don't like reds for large quantities of writing, but this one works really well.

It isn't waterproof and the drying time is a bit slow.

fpn_1412443453__red_cashmere_2.jpg

fpn_1412443491__red_cashmere_1.jpg

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

Great stuff! Thank you!

Did you notice at the extreme dilution it matches MB Red Chalk?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Did you notice at the extreme dilution it matches MB Red Chalk?

Not sure what MB Chalk looks like, but high dilutions look terribly chalky and ugly. I noted that descriptor on one or two of my sheets.

Here are my two cents about Red Cashmere. I do think mine was 13.3% concentration, however after seeing these scans I am not so sure anymore... it may be 16%? It's very dark, although I do think the scan makes it a little too dark. Sorry about that.

I only tried one other dilution, extremely diluted (my estimate is 2%).

fpn_1412733231__two_susemai_scans2.jpg

fpn_1412733187__two_susemai_scans.jpg

I love the saturated color; the diluted one, not so much.

It's a very well-behaved ink at both concentrations though: immediate startup, good flow, no bleeding, feathering, or ghosting. A bit slow to dry but not enough to bother me.

I would like to get especially this ink in powder form, so I could explore the higher concentrations, where it almost does not look red. I normally do not like a whole lot of red, but for attention-getting, it works very well, and I find the dark, red-brown? color more inviting...

Plus, it seems to make a difference on what paper you use it. I like it even more on Tomoe River...

Edited by mhguda

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

If your scans are remotely close to true color, it looks like it is indeed not 13%. While in person it looks almost black, there's no doubt that there's another shade in there. Your scan looks completely black - very cool. I'm with you - not much of a red fan, but I loved the higher concentration of this ink. The sheen with 13.67% was ridiculous and still extremely visible at 8.2%.

Yeah... this one is a "Sheen Monster"... you almost can't see the red through all that sheen.... :lol:

I had my Red Cashmere @16% in my pen for more than 2 months... No issues. Starts every time... and I have honestly not seen any nib crud.

A winner in my books... :wub:

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

The paper looks browner than the scan on here... I tried a little color correction, but I could not match what I saw on screen with what I saw before me.

Maybe when Amber gets the originals - I am mailing them soon, the envelope is ready to go - she might do a correct scan for me...

15530573845_535c1f360e_c.jpg

Other than the dry out issue this is probably one that interests me the most color wise. I am hoping the dry out issue can be fixed with some glycerine.

When you get the powdered ink samples, let us know if the problem is fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

Here (hopefully) are my two test sheets for Red Cashmere at full strength. I'm not going to forward the bleed-thru on the cheap paper any more. There is some, but it's really not worth the trouble, especially with the increased hassle connected with putting photos on a post.

fpn_1414264079__susemai_red_cashmere_013

fpn_1414264157__susemai_red_cashmere_013

Edit: Whew! It worked!

Edited by DaveBj

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

What is the story you are writing?

Here are my test sheets for the Red Cashmere powder, diluted by half (6.5%). It's still a well behaved, well saturated ink, and the color is a little closer to actually being red.

fpn_1414289761__susemai_red_cashmere_006

fpn_1414289887__susemai_red_cashmere_006

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

DaveBj

Wow, that looks RED.

Wow, that looks RED.

No kidding! The 3.7% dilution also looks really good; I'll scan and post those sheets later today.

I think when I'm done testing this sample, I'm gonna dilute all of what's left (almost all of the original sample) to the 6.5% shown above, pour it into a nice bottle, and put it in my ink rotation. I think it's awesome!

DaveBj

Try one super diluted. It looks like red chalk. You can't believe it.

Around 6% it is a really nice deep red, but I prefer the cutoff to be somewhere around 8% since I could not see any sheen with a higher dilution. Chalky dilutions could still make for a pretty nice (and not so in your face) correction ink, though.

Here are the test sheets for Red Cashmere diluted to about 3.7%, roughly the equivalent of putting the original packet of powder in 120ml of water. As you can see, the color is still quite gorgeous, and the ink is still quite well behaved.

fpn_1414424136__susemai_red_cashmere_003

fpn_1414424234__susemai_red_cashmere_003

DaveBj

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my review of powdered Red Cashmere. I've only tested at 13.33..% since I liked the saturation so much.

fpn_1415531773__susemai_powdered_inks4.j

On the paper it looks reddish brown - not sure why the uploaded scan is so different.