Buying A New 149 Hong Kong Or Japan?

Cdub24

Hi,

I am heading to Japan via a 4 hour stop over in Hong Kong in early September, I'm thinking of getting a new 149, I live in New Zealand and the prices in our one MB store are VERY high, so I always try and pick up a MB on my travels ( 4 x 146's - Roller Ball, Ball Point, 2 x FP). My question is this...does any know what I would expect to pay for a 149 in Hong Kong airport or in Japan (whether that be a MB store or duty free at the airport?). I know that they can be purchased cheaper else where, but I like buying new and with customs and duties in NZ, not worth buying online as they end up being as expense as buying new here.

Thanks for your help

Craig

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cdub24

• Pen Nut

• GTOZack

• EclecticCollector

Which airport will you arrive at? I remember seeing a MB shop at Narita airport (and I've just verified at the website to be sure), but I don't remember the price of a 149.

I arrive at Osaka and leave from Narita. So figured worse case i could grab one as i leave if i can't find one beforehand. I don't go back via HK so my only chance is on the way there. I didn't want to buy one in HK if cheaper in Japan but at the same time I would buy in HK if japan more expensive.

actually if it says 10% off its still about 50% mark up

'The Yo-Yo maneuver is very difficult to explain. It was first perfected by the well-known Chinese fighter pilot Yo-Yo Noritake. He also found it difficult to explain, being quite devoid of English.

So we left it at that. He showed us the maneuver after a sort. B*****d stole my kill.'

-Squadron Leader K. G. Holland, RAF. WWII China.

Oh how I wish I travelled to far off places like these ! I would be interested to know the 'over the counter' cost of a 149 in either of the places you get to. When Hong Kong was 'ours' getting products from there was never an inexspensive way of buying stuff.....

VAT & Import duties this and that

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

but they will still be cheaper than the crazy price they charge for them here.....the price of living in the middle of the pacific with ZERO quality pen shops, no competition = monopoly pricing from MB

I was under the impression that all Montblanc boutiques charged MSRP; is that not the case? And am I reading correctly that you can negotiate the price with them? The one near me has always been inflexible about the prices.

Edited by EclecticCollector

Both the tradition 149 and the 90th Ann version cost $7,000-HK but the former comes with an ink set. The MB boutique at the HKIA had been closed for a month upon the expiry of lease contract but limited number of MB pens are available in a jewellery / watch shop next to Gate 31. Hope this can help.

I checked several sites by google search, but I could not find the price. The 149 MRSP in Japan is about JPY100,000- (including 8% sales tax). You might want to search web sites by google by search words of "Montblanc Narita", or "Montblanc Osaka Itami Airport", or "Montblanc Kansai Airport".

If you want to know the exact price, please tell me that.

Good luck.

IA @ Yokohama, Japan

The first thing that hits you in England is VAT which is now a considerable 20% !

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

The last time I checked, which was about a year ago, the prices at Narita does not include tax. So it came up to something like 800USD. Which is a really good price considering MSRP is fixed pretty much world wide for a Montblanc. If possible, try and get it in HK because they have no tax there. Otherwise try and get it from a pen reseller as they might be able to do the 10-20% off MSRP.

• 2 weeks later...

The first thing that hits you in England is VAT which is now a considerable 20% !

It is the same in France

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time