2014 Dc Pen Supershow

82Greg

The DC Pen Supershow is fast approaching (10 days and a wakeup for early trading on Wednesday). The website is here.

My advice:

a) Wear comfortable shoes. It is a very large display area.

B) Do not overdress. Take breaks and hydrate. (DC in August is completely described by three words: Hazy, Hot and Humid.) Again let me emphasize, hydrate (and coffee does not hydrate).

c) Take your time and see everything. Talk to the many friends you have not met.

d) Traffic in DC can be horrible. If you are from out of the area, have a GPS with up-to-date maps. (There has been long-term construction in the area.) August traffic is marginally better because a lot of people are out of town on vacation (a pre-AC tradition).

e) The Sheraton Premiere has been remodeled and the show price is very decent for the area.

f) The Metro (Silver Line) should be operational during the show. See one of the finest, mass transit systems in the country (after the Silver Line opens almost a year late).

g) The bar is a great place to meet friends and chat about pens.

My Shopping List (not buying all):

a) Fountain Pens:

- Retro 51:

Tornado Lincoln EXT (copper finish)

Prism EXT

- Elysee (out of production German brand)

- Sailor

M1911 Large

M1911 Large Realo Maroon w/Music Nib

- Lamy Persona

- Omas

Vintage Paragon Blue Royale (I'm sure I can get a Home Equity Line of Credit)

Vintage Paragon Burkina Celluloid

Vintage Paragon Burlwood Celluloid

Vintage Extra Lucens

- Vintage Waterman

- Stylochap

B) Pencils

Retro 51:

Tornado Albert

c) Stationary

Roterfaden Taschenbegleiter

d) Ink & Misc.

Anything Sailor

Reference Books/Catalogs

Cabinents

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 82Greg

• inkstainedruth

• Kimo

• sharonspens

+1 on the shoes.

I'm not really shopping for pens this year ( :o !) -- just inks. And I need to talk to repair people, and maybe get some parts: sacs, a replacement jewel for the Shadow Wave, the *right* cap for the 51 Vac....

OTOH, I will be scoping out the tables -- just in case.... (I keep thinking that if I could find a sterling silver overlay Morrison to go along with the GF overlay, at a decent price...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I so do wish that I could go as it's not terribly far from home. I have cash in hand to pick up an MB JP Morgan were there one offered, and I'm not going to be able to attend due to a combination of work and family obligations.

Okay, I just started breathing again. I will be in DC for a convention, and am flying home the evening of the 10th. I really thought this show was a week later than it is, and that I would miss it, so I put all thoughts of it aside. But now I see that it falls during my week in the city. I'm not sure I can actually pull this off, but I may just have to hop the Metro to Tyson's Corners on Sunday for no other reason than the opportunity to ogle the largest show in the country.

If i don't make it, though, I will not be too deprived, as I almost always get to the Ohio Show in November.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Okay, I just started breathing again. I will be in DC for a convention, and am flying home the evening of the 10th. I really thought this show was a week later than it is, and that I would miss it, so I put all thoughts of it aside. But now I see that it falls during my week in the city. I'm not sure I can actually pull this off, but I may just have to hop the Metro to Tyson's Corners on Sunday for no other reason than the opportunity to ogle the largest show in the country.

If i don't make it, though, I will not be too deprived, as I almost always get to the Ohio Show in November.

Sharon in Indiana

I went to Ohio Pen Show last year and even though I was only there on Friday it seemed to be a much more manageable size than DCSS was. Or at least it would have been if I'd actually gotten into the ballroom sooner instead of spending half the afternoon schmoozing with people out at the tables in the hallway.... :blush:

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I went to Ohio Pen Show last year and even though I was only there on Friday it seemed to be a much more manageable size than DCSS was. Or at least it would have been if I'd actually gotten into the ballroom sooner instead of spending half the afternoon schmoozing with people out at the tables in the hallway.... :blush:

I'll bet you learn a lot from the schmoozing. Maybe I ought to go to the Ohio show next time.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

The DC Pen Supershow is fast approaching (10 days and a wakeup for early trading on Wednesday). The website is here.

My advice:

a) Wear comfortable shoes. It is a very large display area.

B) Do not overdress. Take breaks and hydrate. (DC in August is completely described by three words: Hazy, Hot and Humid.) Again let me emphasize, hydrate (and coffee does not hydrate).

c) Take your time and see everything. Talk to the many friends you have not met.

d) Traffic in DC can be horrible. If you are from out of the area, have a GPS with up-to-date maps. (There has been long-term construction in the area.) August traffic is marginally better because a lot of people are out of town on vacation (a pre-AC tradition).

e) The Sheraton Premiere has been remodeled and the show price is very decent for the area.

f) The Metro (Silver Line) should be operational during the show. See one of the finest, mass transit systems in the country (after the Silver Line opens almost a year late).

g) The bar is a great place to meet friends and chat about pens.

My Shopping List (not buying all):

a) Fountain Pens:

- Retro 51:

Tornado Lincoln EXT (copper finish)

Prism EXT

- Elysee (out of production German brand)

- Sailor

M1911 Large

M1911 Large Realo Maroon w/Music Nib

- Lamy Persona

- Omas

Vintage Paragon Blue Royale (I'm sure I can get a Home Equity Line of Credit)

Vintage Paragon Burkina Celluloid

Vintage Paragon Burlwood Celluloid

Vintage Extra Lucens

- Vintage Waterman

- Stylochap

B) Pencils

Retro 51:

Tornado Albert

c) Stationary

Roterfaden Taschenbegleiter

d) Ink & Misc.

Anything Sailor

Reference Books/Catalogs

Cabinents

I live 5 minutes away from the event!

I sure will attend. :)

But what exactly is this event? The website doesn't explain...

Is it where you buy pens? (You have a buy list)

Or is it where you show your own collection?

Thanks

-William S. Park

Edit: Wait, can a minor under 18 attend? Fountain pens are for people at any age (I had a thread about this), so I'm guessing so.

Edited by william2001

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

I live 5 minutes away from the event!

I sure will attend. :)

But what exactly is this event? The website doesn't explain...

Is it where you buy pens? (You have a buy list)

Or is it where you show your own collection?

Thanks

-William S. Park

Edit: Wait, can a minor under 18 attend? Fountain pens are for people at any age (I had a thread about this), so I'm guessing so.

Yup, it's for buying, getting pens and nibs worked on, schmoozing. Huge numbers of tables, new and vintage. I guess the early days (Thursday and Friday) there's a fair amount of trading (and in fact I was able to trade caps with the guy at one table -- getting a generic Parker 51 cap for the 51 Special that my 51 Vac came with when I bought it). Last year I bought three vintage pens, and then got one repaired at the show; spent a *lot* of time at the ink testing table :rolleyes:; bought parts and sacs and a couple of bottles of ink; got some work done on a nib; took Richard Binder's nib smoothing class; and generally had a blast.

You will have to stay away from the demonstrator section (that is 18 and above only), but otherwise, yes.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

I will likely be there as I have for many years. One additional thing for which to be prepared is aisles that are way too narrow for the number of people. They get extra dealer tables in that way, but it is an irritation to buyers. On the up side, you will see so many pens that your eyes will go crazy.

Thursday 7 Aug - Sun 10 Aug.

7 Aug - Early Trading; thinly attended, most dealers don't set up; Traders pass req'd ($45, good all 4 days)

8 Aug - Early Trading; Much more widely attended; much easier to schedule nib grinding/repairs/etc; Caligraphy workshop ($45 separate from Trader's pass) (Traders pass req'd)

9 Aug - Open to Public; Public Trading; Workshops ($7)

10 Aug - Open to Public; Public Trading; Workshops ($7)

(Edit: And yes the website sucks, as has been mentioned in many, many posts over several years.)

Edited by 82Greg

You will have to stay away from the demonstrator section (that is 18 and above only), but otherwise, yes.

Darn. :wallbash:

-William S. Park

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

Sweet - yes, you can get yourself in plenty of trouble LOOONNGGGG before you get to the big ballroom.

I'm in DC now, and am still considering whether I might sneak over to Tyson's Corner's on Sunday afternoon.

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Five additional thoughts based on a number of years of experience that I have been going:

I have never seen a pen priced at serious bargain - prices are full retail to silly high. Perhaps some dealers arrive with some great deals, but the two days before the public opening of the show of dealer to dealer trading/buying/selling seem to ensure that there will not be any underpriced material left for the public. There seems to be a steady but slow selling by dealers to the public when the show goers are willing to pay full retail and there is nice material at those prices, but I have never seen any times where pens are flying off a table into the hands of eager buyers.

Be prepared to see a million pens, literally. After the first couple of tables full you need to consciously keep your eyes focused to be able to still see everything. After you have gone through the dealers table once, take a break, relax for a while then go back again with a renewed sense of pacing your looking to be able to take it all in.

If you do not see something that you are looking for, stop by some dealers who have similar material and ask them if they have it. Many dealers have additional pens put aside or in storage books or boxes, or they have it back at their stores or homes because they could not bring everything.

In past years one of the great parts of the show was an area with a half dozen tables and chairs will all kinds of open ink bottles where anyone could sit down and try them out. If you do not already have a small notebook or something with samples of what the various brands and colors of inks look like, this is a great opportunity to do make one for yourself. I do not see this on the brochure for the show so I do not know if they are still doing this, but if they are it is worth a bit of time to make yourself some sample pages of what the inks actually look like. One note, bring your own pen. They do provide some dip pens and glass pens but they are in terrible condition and you are really going to want to use your own.

The mention above about terrible traffic in Washington is absolutely true. Washington always ranks among the 10 worst traffic regions in the country. You can get lucky if you are driving at very odd hours, but otherwise expect very heavy traffic with extended rush hours and allow extra time for it.

I have never seen a pen priced at serious bargain - prices are full retail to silly high.

There are a few bargains to be had, but mostly what you say is true. The value of the show isn't in finding bargains, so much as it is in meeting people face-to-face and getting to see lots of cool pens and pen-related stuff in person.

Washington always ranks among the 10 worst traffic regions in the country.

Most attendees will be going to the show on Saturday or Sunday. In general (exceptions exist, of course) DC/NoVA traffic is somewhat lighter on the weekend, than on workdays. Especially during rush hour on workdays, which seems to run from 6am-10:30am and 2:30pm-10pm. And sometimes around lunchtime. And occasionally late at night.

To be fair, DC's Metro system is excellent. I make use of MARC trains and Metro, whenever I can.

In past years one of the great parts of the show was an area with a half dozen tables and chairs will all kinds of open ink bottles where anyone could sit down and try them out.

Pictures of mine of the 2010 show's ink tables:

http://www.time4email.com/fountain_pens/DC2010/4457.jpg

http://www.time4email.com/fountain_pens/DC2010/4459.jpg

This is my first year attending. It sounds like a lot of fun. Do they have trading areas set up? I have ink and pens I would like to trade.