Morbus Curiositas

Lovely Liquids De Atramentis Dokument inks BROWN and Green

Dear FPN friends,

Here is a Review of the new De Atramentis Document ink colours. In This Review I will examine the new Brown and the new Green. Both are absolutely bombproof like the De Atramentis Document Ink Blue and Dark blue I have reviewed before

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/263866-de-atramentis-document-ink/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/266158-de-atramentis-document-ink-dark-blue/

All new Colours of De Atramentis Document Ink

The new range of colours will be:

Blue, Dark Blue (blue black), Grey, Black, Red, Green, Brown (or sepia), Turquoise and Magenta

The best thing is all colours can be adapted on input if artists and writers. More on this under “Liz Steel and Urban Sketchers”

Liz Steel and Urban Sketchers

Liz Steel is an Australian who paints with Fountain Pen inks. Liz has her own blog www.lizsteel.com on which she helps other artists. She is also a prominent member of Urban Sketchers www.urbansketchers.com , a worldwide online platform of painters.

Down here in Blue is an article of Liz takn from her blog (her text in blue)

Exciting Alternative to Noodlers Bulletproof Ink

fpn_1406201331__liz_da_ink.jpg

Today I had a crazy day in the Manly area- 3 coffees and not a sketch of any of them!?! Perhaps some of you think it is crazy to want to sketch everytime I go into a coffee shop. I started the day having a quick coffee with an exciting local artist Fiona Verity that I meet last year at my Sketching Architecture workshop. I hope this will be the first of many catch ups. SHe does wonderful work of birds and landscapes and beach scenes. Check out her site here http://fionaverity.com.au/

I then went to store of Larry Post who have lots and lots of amazing stuff… very tempting to walk in their doors… so we went to a coffee shop down the road before I had time to look at their stock too much. Check out their very cool website
here http://www.larrypost.com.au/

fpn_1406201098__liz_da_1.jpg

Anyway, my friend, local USker Chantal Vincent has been talking for months and months about the De Artamentis Ink that she uses in her lamy - it was recommended to her by Larry Post. Today I got some of it and am testing it.

I know a LOT of people have issues with Noodlers Bulletproof. Personally, I never have a problem! I think the most important thing is to keep the ink flowing… and well, as anyone that visits my blog knows…my pen gets daily use!!! The ink in my pen is always flowing! Maybe once a year I do a sketch that the ink runs when I apply a watercolour… so it has served me well for many years.

The owners of Larry Post told me that Lamy do not recommend Noodlers but DO recommend the De Artamentis Ink. They didn't have any of the document ink in stock but I got a bottle of the Archive Ink to try- and Chantal has lent me some of her document ink to try. I was told there is little difference between the two. I also got a bottle of the lamy ink to try - someone told me that they found it good to use.

fpn_1406201159__liz_da_2.jpg

First test of the the De Artamentis Ink was VERY PROMISING!… a very wet yellow wash was a good test. But I am going to use for the next week or so and then do a full report.

Very loose work today - using my amazing new Da Vinci brushes I got in Penang but having some other things on my mind so not concentrating much … there are much more important things in life than ink and brushes.

Prov 27.1 Boast not thyself of to morrow; for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth.

Liz travels all over the world and has a good understanding for the needs of artists worldwide. According to Liz Permanent inks in various colours are the Holy Grail for ink artists. She is also a great fan of De Atramentis as you can see above and on her blog. Therefore all colours can be adapted on input of USK members. I Will come back to this later.

fpn_1406200776__da_brown_green_ink_bottl

Well to the Ink testing….finally

fpn_1406200835__da_brown_green_sampler_f

General Behaviour.

The ink is well flowing in a 1,5 Italic it is extremely wet. Funnily however it is extremely quickly drying.

The green ink does not shade at all (neither do DA document ink Blue and Dark Blue) The brown ink does shade, although not extremely

Permanency

It is a Permanent Ink and ultra-proof against Bomb Raids. For more information on permanency I have inserted a link in this article.

In order to be permanent the ink has to dig in to the fibres of the paper. This induces Bleedtrough. In normal nibs the bleedthrough is very acceptable even on the cheap paper I use for testing. The advantage of this is that the ink cannot be removed without leaving traces…… Well just read on down below

fpn_1406200463__da_brown_green_bomb_fpn.

The Blue sheen is from the colour of the toilet cleaner the green from the sink cleaner

Because I am a lazy (bleep) I copied some of the text from my previous review DA Document ink Blue down here in blue italic

This ink is mentioned for doctors, lawyers etc. and for all who need a permanent ink for official Documents

To be qualified as a document ink the ink has to meet certain standards. The standard in Europe is ISO 12757-2. This means that the ink has to be lightfast and may not be influenced by any outer influences.

To show you the resilience of the inks I have poured several aggressive Fluids over it and…

Nothing happened. It is like if the ink was carved in stone…. Amazing…

It is not only bulletproof but also bombproof … I believe the ink even survives a nuclear accident or bomb attack (sorry for not testing that )

The ink is extremely lightfast. This is tested and certified with the Woll-Skala, wool scale in English.

This may sound peculiar, but isn’t that strange on second glance. In history quite often the same pigments used for Dyeing wool where used for inks as well.

The Woll-Skala reaches from 1 not lightfast over 5 extremely lightfast to 8 extreme lightfast. The ink “of course” is WS 8.

There are other resilient inks like inks based on iron gall or soot. The problem is that iron gall inks are very aggressive to both paper and nib. (the paper of old Dutch documents from the golden age are often eaten away partially by the ink) Both iron gall and soot inks may also clog the feed of your fountain pen.

The De Atramentis inks are, as far as I understand, made with nano-particles. According to the noble Fountain Pen King Sire Richard of Binderheart. Nano-particle inks can be safely used in Fountain pens.

I always have one Fountain Pen filled with the ink for work and flush it once every 2 months… No problem at all

For more information on permanence and safety click the link down below

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/266035-on-permanent-ink-permanency-and-safety/

Feathering

fpn_1406200887__da_brown_gren_detail_fpn

Not noticeable :)

The Green

fpn_1406200640__da_brown_green_green_fpn

The Brown

fpn_1406200523__da_brown_green_brown_han

Sort of milk chocolate brown :puddle:

Down here are some of the technical specs (as suggested by Ann Finley 2007)

(not copied in but for this ink)

points 1-5 1 = :( 5= :)

Fountain Pens: Online best writer 0.8 italic nib: Online Best Wrtiter 1,4 Italic

Paper: Leonardo Ringbuch,average quality school note book made in Austria

Drying time: Ultrafast points 5

Flow: Like a dam break points: 5

Lubrication: smooth in both pens points: 5

Bleeding: stronger in broader nibs points 0.8=4 / 1,5=3

Feathering: none points 5

Shading: green none points: 0 Brown some points 3

Waterproof: no need to mention here points:5

Package: Only in bottles,Wide opening for easy filling up points: 3-4 (bottle is quite nice but the not very special,

Availabilty: In Europe Good, D-A webshop www.tinten-online.de, Amazon, La Couronne Du Comte (NL),

USA Amazon, DA Webshop www.de-atramentis.com maybe Brian Goulet www.gouletpens.com points: EU 4 USA???.... See more under availabiltiy!!!

Quality: Hand Made in Germany points: 5

Down here are the technical specs (taken from the German website in blue)

dokumenten-Tinte Brown and Green. Sie ist für alle Füllfederhalter geeignet. (suitable for all FP’s)

Technische Daten der Tinte:

- Lichtechtheit: 8 (Light fastness)

- ph-Wert: 7,5 (PH value)

- Oberflächenspannung: 60 mN/m (surface tension)

- Viskosität: 1,2 mPas (viscosity)

- Feuchtigkeitsbeständigkeit: ja/yes (moist-/waterproof)

- Temperaturbeständigkeit: ja/yes (heat proof)

- Farbe: Dunkelblau (Colour Dark Blue)

- Inhalt: 35 ml (bottle contents)

- Die Dokumententinte entspricht der ISO 127757-2. (complies with ISO-12757-2 document standard)

Caution this is a Permanent ink. Do regularly clean your Fountain Pen. I have written an article on Permanent ink in Fountain Pens down here is the link

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/266035-on-permanent-ink-permanency-and-safety/ .

Please take notice and you will have years of fun from both your Fountain Pens and your inks

Colour Adaption.

On request of Liz Steel and others, the new colours have been developed and new colours will be developed. Liz Steel and Artists/users can give comments and suggestions on the inks. The ink can then be adapted. For example the green darker/lighter or the Brown more reddisch etc etc.

Thinning Solution for Document inks.

De Atramentis produces a special Thinning agent for their document inks.

fpn_1406200734__da_brown_green_thinner_f

With this solution YOU can make your own shade of the colour. For example from Black, over Dark Grey to Light Grey… :happyberet:

I believe that is awesome…. DA is giving it’s best to satisfy their clients. :D

Exciting Stuff and more on Liz Steel

Dr Jansen the owner of De Atramentis is a very creative and passionate ink manufacturer.

He has some nice ideas

· Ink Art Contest. In this ink art contest artists can send some of their Ink Art Works and can win nice prices… For Example Ink and a Diplomat Excellence A Marakesh Fountain Pen

· Ink Art Gallery. On this Online gallery Ink artists can publish their works free of charge. They can even sell their work here

Liz Steel was very excited about this and offered her help as a prominent USK member….

All these things are in development right now. I will pot a topic on these when it gets official.

Availability

All the the above mentioned colour are available over De Atramentis on the following website. www.tinten-online.de

I have come in contact with the passionate owner of La Couronne du Comte, mr Dennis van de Graaf. He was enthusiastic and offered some help here. On Document and Wine inks. And…. Special Offers… I will let you know when these things will be ready at La Couronne du Comte.

In Australia Larrypost.au sells De Atramentis inks. Liz Steel is a great fan of this shop. Do not let the prices disturb you. Prices are in Australian dollars. They are fair and equal

As far as I understood, Goulet Pen has ordered some Document inks. For my FPN-friends in the USA this might be a way to save on shipping costs.

Conclusion

I am an Ink Addict. As an Addict I have become a great fan of several ink manufacturers (J. Herbin,Pelikan).

As a very enthusiastic fan I am now in frequent contact with Dr Jansen. Dr Jansen is utterly friendly and passionate about inks. I always like to share my enthusiasm on Fountain Pens, Inks and shops. So I do frequently post my enthusiasm on De Atramentis now…. (Help Dr Jansen a bit on translation, he is better at ink making than at English he said)

Well I believe these inks are superb again. They perfectly well and I can use more colours now at work

One disadvantage: The green does not shade. :mellow: The Brown does! :)

I also have a black Document ink that I will review soon. I Will test the thinning agent too and post my version of “50 shades of grey” . :P

I simply love De Atramentis for its creativity, the huge array of inks and being always open for their clients. And…. I love the wine inks…. They taste horribly but are of sheer beauty…. (I will post the Merlot soon)

Dr Jansen was so kind to send Amberlea a bottle of Document Turquoise and Magenta. I believe Amberlea lks these colours and will test them.

See you soon Peter

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Tricked throughout the centuries...

For centuries people had been tricked by kings & "religion-alism"

In the 20th century people got tricked by communism

Today people get tricked by (neo)capitalism :)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morbus Curiositas

• amberleadavis

• cybaea

• RGH

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Question are there any colours you would like to see as a permmanent Document ink....

Please let me know

Regards,

Peter

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

I love my dark blue-black and blue from DA. It does write wet and in my wet pens (M805 & M200). However I love the colors so much I have moved to a XF-XXF nib. The widths flow nicely from my perspective at that point. I have been on a search for a permanent blue. The document inks have made a permanent rotation (at least at this point :) .

I love my dark blue-black and blue from DA. It does write wet and in my wet pens (M805 & M200). However I love the colors so much I have moved to a XF-XXF nib. The widths flow nicely from my perspective at that point. I have been on a search for a permanent blue. The document inks have made a permanent rotation (at least at this point :) .

Good to hear you like them too....

I always have ine of my fountainpens filled with it....

As promised i will post a review of the black permanent Documetn ink as soon as possible... with some home made grey shades....

May be you like those too....

Regards

Peter

Hmm. Not sure I'm wild about the color of the green, but the brown looks very nice.

And how exactly does that thinning agent work? Is it some sort of lubricating agent (similar to dish soap or Photoflo)? Or is it for diluting (and does it work better than plain old distilled water does for highly saturated inks?

Thanks for the review. I think the brown at least is going onto the "watch list" for inks to buy. Haven't made up my mind about the blue, dark blue, or black yet.

As for other colors to ask for? Well, purple or red-violet is an obvious choice.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Hmm. Not sure I'm wild about the color of the green, but the brown looks very nice.

And how exactly does that thinning agent work? Is it some sort of lubricating agent (similar to dish soap or Photoflo)? Or is it for diluting (and does it work better than plain old distilled water does for highly saturated inks?

Thanks for the review. I think the brown at least is going onto the "watch list" for inks to buy. Haven't made up my mind about the blue, dark blue, or black yet.

As for other colors to ask for? Well, purple or red-violet is an obvious choice.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I still have to test the agent... I will ask Dr Jansen for more Details and post the results...

On the colours i will list them together with the USK wishes and lead them to Dr Jansen....

Oh and before you buy an ink wait for my review of DA Merlot... lovely rich red... Will post it tomorrow maybe

Greetz

Peter

Thanks! Where can we buy the thinning agent?

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

Question are there any colours you would like to see as a permmanent Document ink....

I think De Atramentis has a good range there. Perhaps a purple for those night skies and some flower sketches (and because it is nice to write with)? I am guessing that the thinner will make the colours lighter which should give a good palette. Perhaps a dark orange (think Diamine Cult Pens Deep Dark Orange) for the sunsets and thinned for candle lights and thinned even more for sunflowers?

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

I think De Atramentis has a good range there. Perhaps a purple for those night skies and some flower sketches (and because it is nice to write with)? I am guessing that the thinner will make the colours lighter which should give a good palette. Perhaps a dark orange (think Diamine Cult Pens Deep Dark Orange) for the sunsets and thinned for candle lights and thinned even more for sunflowers?

Hello Cybaea

Good to see you again.

The thinning agent is now only available over De Atramentis. I will be available it more shops soon. I can call Dr Jansen to send you a bottle if you want one. This is quick and easy...

I have to call him anyway for instructions on this agent....

Merlot Wine ink

De Atramentis has a huge array of wine inks.... I am working on the Da Merlot now and will post it soon.... I really absolutely love that ink.... Deep rich shading red... I have even tasted a drop (not bad but i prefer the wine)

If you send me youradress in the private messenger, I will send you a postcard written with DA Merlot (this way you get the best impression).... Damn I love that ink

Regards Peter

I still have to test the agent... I will ask Dr Jansen for more Details and post the results...

On the colours i will list them together with the USK wishes and lead them to Dr Jansen....

Oh and before you buy an ink wait for my review of DA Merlot... lovely rich red... Will post it tomorrow maybe

Greetz

Peter

I have sent your questions to Dr Jansen today... will talk to him next week.

will collect the inked colours wished for and send themto De atramentis

Hello Cybaea

Good to see you again.

The thinning agent is now only available over De Atramentis. I will be available it more shops soon. I can call Dr Jansen to send you a bottle if you want one. This is quick and easy...

I have to call him anyway for instructions on this agent....

Still can't see the thinning agent on the web site. Any ideas? Have been holding back ordering the inks to combine shipping....

Still can't see the thinning agent on the web site. Any ideas? Have been holding back ordering the inks to combine shipping....

Hi Cybaea...

I Today posted the promised postcard with Merlot and Terre de Feu...

The brown and the green are on there too.

I will call dr Jansen tomorrow and answer your question as soon as possible....

Peter

Hello Cybaea,

I just spoke wih Dr Jansen (D A) on the phone....

Your thinning agent will be online next week

It will be delivered in the plastic bottle as on the picture in my review. The Bottle contains 125, ml at a very fair price...

It can be used for all Document Ink colours. These cannot be dilluted with water as they are permanent inks. One has two see the Thinning agent as an ink without pigments....

I will send you a private message too, please wait for this before ordering.

Best wishes

Peter

Hello Cybaea,

I just spoke wih Dr Jansen (D A) on the phone....

Your thinning agent will be online next week

It will be delivered in the plastic bottle as on the picture in my review. The Bottle contains 125, ml at a very fair price...

It can be used for all Document Ink colours. These cannot be dilluted with water as they are permanent inks. One has two see the Thinning agent as an ink without pigments....

I will send you a private message too, please wait for this before ordering.

Best wishes

Peter

Thanks!!

Impressive tests. I had no idea that DA had such permanence. I hope to try some of their document ink in the near future.

Impressive tests. I had no idea that DA had such permanence. I hope to try some of their document ink in the near future.

Hi Jared,

Maybe you want to wait a few weeks with ordering.

I am a fan of De atramentis (and other brands too) I am helping Dr Jansen of De Atramentis a bit on translation stuff (let's say he is better at ink making and inventing ;) ) well and he is utterly friendly so why not help each other out :)

Dr Jansen is working onn a discount 4=3 meaning order 4 pay only 3. I have helped him a bit with a supplier in the USA who alredy carries DA inks.... Can't say the name yet but they were enthusiast.... Looks like this will be official in september...

If you do not have the patience order over the D-A Website http://info@de-atramentis.com

If you ad the sentence Peter 4 für 3, 4 bestellen, 3 zahlen

You will get your 4th bottle of FOR FREE right now....

Maybe you like to try the thinning solution for Document inks too... With this pigment free ink you can mix your own shade of all document colour.... In that case write Verdünner für Dokumententinten in your order...

Hope this was helpful to you

Have a nice day

Peter

• 2 months later...

I have spent a couple of weeks testing De Atramentis Document Green in different pens. While the colour is pleasant and the ink is positively bulletproof, its other qualities as an ink leave much to be desired. To say it is wet is an understatement - to me, e.g. Waterman's inks are what I normally consider "wet". This, on the other hand, is the kind of ink that makes an extra fine nib write medium, while making a medium nib bleed copiously through Rhodia paper. Double-sided writing is out of the question on most kinds of paper. It is funny because ink permanence is more likely to be needed with forms, old fashioned accounting books and other purposes where it will be much more likely both to encounter low-quality paper and to have to write on both sides.

These inks are super WET. I think they are the most amazing mixing inks.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY