So here's the one I made for my mom. I have a bittersweet relationship with her. It's sad really, and not something I want to go into here. But she's moving away and has almost nothing and I wanted to give her something to have as a keepsake. It helps that she's one of the few people I know who uses a journal regularly, even if it is page after page of repeated once sentence screams at times. Anyway, I made her this and had my kids all write her a note, and put some photos of our family in the pocket for her to take with her.
I had a problem with one of the strings snapping. It must have been frayed before hand because I've tested this stuff (#3 crochet thread) and really can't break it by hand without hurting my hands. It snapped off right at the stitching on the spine as I was attaching the back cover, and I actually had to pick at it awhile to find the end, and then pick it back some to get enough free cord to tie off.
Stations came out good. Cover sits flat.
I've perfected the hinges. I've found i don't even have to glue the top part of the hinge to the front of the pocket, the paper holds together really well, just being nested.
I don't like the bristle brush I'm using for glue. It spreads well, but it sheds bristles. I think they're horse hair. You can see them embossed under the fabric.
This is the first one I've done that I've done the signatures almost exactly as large as the covers. Less room for error but I like it.
Edited by Nonstickron, 23 August 2014 - 00:20.