Restoring And Customising A Briefcase

my63

If no burgundy is available then for the green interior I think I'd go with the Havana Brown or the Cream, and with the yellow interior either the Havana Brown or Mid-brown or, for a little snap, the Yellow. I'm sure the lucky recipient will love whatever you choose.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• my63

• Anne-Sophie

• Skyppere

• jsolares

Top Posters In This Topic

If no burgundy is available then for the green interior I think I'd go with the Havana Brown or the Cream, and with the yellow interior either the Havana Brown or Mid-brown or, for a little snap, the Yellow. I'm sure the lucky recipient will love whatever you choose.

I have to be honest I don't think I like the green thread and will reconsider the options of course this has stopped the gluing of the lining until I make a decision.

In the mean time I have a new project to share with you all.

A few weeks ago I was asked by a FPN member to look at a case that belonged to a family friend who had served in WW 2 in the United States Army Air Force.

21098824661_9d1da7e221_z.jpgUSAAF 1 case by my0771, on Flickr

21064945736_f52890bfbe_z.jpgUSAAF2 case by my0771, on Flickr

21064946736_0a24b196e3_z.jpgUSAAF3 case by my0771, on Flickr

We know the case was used in the second World War so it is at least 70 years old and some areas are quite worn as you would expect.

The stitching is coming apart as I have been cleaning and conditioning the leather.

The owner would like to bring the case up to a useable condition and I have agreed to do it.

I hope everyone enjoys the journey

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

That's the briefcase I sent to Michael in August. I'm excited he agreed to look it over and take on a restoration. The case has great sentimental value and having it made into something I can use (with great care, sort of like a valuable vintage pen), is fantastic. I look forward to seeing its progress.

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

After applying a few coats of mink oil to soften and condition the leather. I spent a few hours yesterday and this morning cutting out the old stitching to be honest I could have just pulled it apart but I have learned not to do that.

20493541113_38708e59b0_z.jpgIMG_1279 by my0771, on Flickr

The next stage involves more mink oil and scraping all of the edges clean of old glue and pieces of thread as well as anything else that I might find.

I have also made some progress on the Pendragon case I have glued the green suede in place I used small paper clips at one end to hold the suede in place while I applied the glue once the glue was ready I folded the suede back into place and smoothed it out removing the clips

20927671769_8bc5290ffa_z.jpgIMG_1277 by my0771, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Michael

I have finished the first stitching of the green Pendragon case

21109852512_44e572bf0f_z.jpgIMG_1284 by my0771, on Flickr

I have to be totally honest I was not sure about the green thread but I really like it now.

20499018163_6a4bacc7e8_z.jpgIMG_1284 by my0771, on Flickr

I had the same feelings about the green thread but those picture are just saying: mighty gorgeous!

Make sure to note the name and brand of the green suede because it is really the greatest of match with the thread and they both seem to be opening a dialogue between the past (represented by the vintage leather of the case) and the future (represented by the suede and the matching thread).

I think it works because the leather is just the right shade of caramel thus the thread and suede are like pistachio cream filing and cookie decorating lines.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

This is how I make straps rather than keep a whole hide for making straps I buy 1 inch strips of leather to make them with. It is slightly thicker than the normal leather I use. I have used the stitch grooving tool to make a grove for the stitching (self explanatory I know) the other tool in this picture is for removing the square corners left after cutting.

20539322124_626725c001_z.jpgDSC_0001 by my0771, on Flickr

42 to 46 inches seems to be the ideal strap length the cut lengths I buy are around 48 inches long I use two to give me extra length to fix the trigger hooks and adjustment buckles as each one requires about two inches. As there are two of each then this will require 12 inches and then an allowance for the strap ends to pass through the buckles another 12 inches. To end up with a strap of 46 inches I need to have 70 inches of strapping.

Sewing is continuing

21147157282_1cd853c8b9_z.jpgDSC_0079 by my0771, on Flickr

21151647042_ed56689212_z.jpgIMG_1293[1] by my0771, on Flickr

Edited by my63

I have started dying the straps this is very much guess work the case has many years of wear I think it may have been a saddle tan colour originally so I have started with that colour.

20979898310_5c65799ac5_z.jpgIMG_1303[1] by my0771, on Flickr

As the dye is applied to wet leather I need to wait until tomorrow to see if it is anywhere near I think it might be a little too light however it is very easy to add more colour but almost impossible to remove it.

The USAAF case will be a highly interesting project if nothing else than for the nostalgia. I admire the ability to perform such reconstructive leather surgery and the stories, photos and emotion are inspiring. Thank you.

Sometimes I think I can taste the colors of the ink through my eyes. That Emerald.....

Thanks Goatgolfer the USAAF case is currently being cleaned and scraped around the edges in preparation to have the new lining glued in place it is important to have it as clean as possible before I add the glue.

Here is the strap now dry if we went back 50 or 60 years I think the whole case would have been this colour it is a close match.

21181115832_4e0f200d6c_z.jpgIMG_1313[1] by my0771, on Flickr

The colour above is a 50 50 mix of saddle tan and dye reducer to give a lighter colour and reduce the risk of darker patches.

To get an aged effect I have lightly buffed the strap with carnauba wax and then lightly brushed with neat saddle tan dye

20568767134_8972ec9ef1_z.jpgIMG_1317[1] by my0771, on Flickr

21191441805_77e433b706_z.jpgIMG_1314[1] by my0771, on Flickr

This is the look I was after please let me know what you think

Michael

I am pretty happy with todays efforts different angles with flash I am trying to show the different tones in the leather I think the colour is a good match

20576761833_f03a8a913e_z.jpgIMG_1324[1] by my0771, on Flickr

20575214214_6626c21bed_z.jpgIMG_1322[1] by my0771, on Flickr

Here are the mounting points for the strap

21187798062_3f09dc0b78_z.jpgIMG_1331[1] by my0771, on Flickr

I can start to re assemble the case now and complete the strap with its buckles and straps on the first case I made the ends into nib shapes but I am not so sure if I should continue that feature or not.

Last night I was looking for ideas for the strap like the positioning of buckles I have noticed that many of the leading makers only have buckles on one side for adjustment they also have a shoulder pad.

I am not to sure about the single buckle I quite like the matching buckles on either side but I do like the pad which I made last night.

21212310375_0d3e939689_z.jpgDSC_0005 by my0771, on Flickr

Of all the pics and comments, I think I like the small details best, Shaving the corners, suede or smooth, saddle stitch... Fascinating to me.

Sometimes I think I can taste the colors of the ink through my eyes. That Emerald.....