Restoring And Customising A Briefcase

my63

Trying to remember just what color cognac is...rather like the current interior color? Maybe not the red. Dark blue sounds nice as mentioned above or possibly a dark green? What colors do you currently have enough of? Could you show a picture of them all? Your work just gets better and better. :)

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• my63

• Anne-Sophie

• Skyppere

• jsolares

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't the outside cognac? I do have a cognac briefcase with a red interior and it looks good.

Ive been reading this thread for awhile. I think i nice deep purple would look good, almost black.

The case has warm undertone and cognac would be best.

I think, it would also be nice if you could keep the area which has the trademark intact or, in some way sew it to the new leather if it is needed.

It looks in very good shape, still has a key, keeping it as vintage looking as possible seems a good idea.

The two other cases can be fitted with contrasting and more modern colors, the one with a reddish body with red suede and the other more caramel with a warm grey.

I was just looking at the wood pen box which houses one of my pen and something blue and purple happened to drape over it and be next to it. A dark purple would indeed be nice with a nice caramel color.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Thanks for the responses everyone

The only colour I have enough of at the moment is red suede it is surprising how much suede is required to line the inside of one of these cases

Here are the suede's I use most often I have added the black to give an idea of what colour each one is cognac is the next to the black then red, turquoise, yellow then grey it is a blueish grey not the silver I used on the last single case which was more silver.

19988869279_82d53c3b53_z.jpgIMG_0914 by my0771, on Flickr​

Personally I like the yellow but that is nappa and it is very expensive.

I like the idea of deep purple however I was advised by a friend to keep the inside of bags and cases as light as possible.

All of the leather is in good condition and I don't plan on replacing any of it there is a small hole but that can be fixed quite easily. the key is not original it is from my collection of old keys but it works just fine.

The outside of the case is a light brown I would say darker than tan but not actually dark enough to be brown

Thanks

Michael

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

Great job as always Michael; my vote is for light blue:

piquadro-blue-blue-square-leather-15-lap

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

It is a very difficult decision my preference is for a contrasting interior colour and the light blue or turquoise would be ideal for that.

However I also agree that the cognac would also look very good I am pretty sure that red is a no for this case I shall keep that for the case with the red tones.

Thanks for the input

Michael

I have decided to finish the gladstone bag restoration while I was deciding on the interior colour scheme for the document case.

I did a trial fit yesterday everything went well until I scratched the paint with a screw driver

20389290682_0873259d05_z.jpgIMG_0939 by my0771, on Flickr​

As you can see I have stripped the frame down ready for repainting however when looking at the frame there may have been an area where the paint did not get a good bond.

The other option is to cover it in leather

I placed scrap pieces of leather along the front and top of the leather wrap before adding the clips to hold things in place whilst the leather dried.

interesting fact when you place metal on wet veg tanned leather it turns the leather black in fact if you dissolve wire wool in white vinegar you can make a black leather dye called vinegaroon.

So the dark marks on the leather are the result of a chemical reaction between the metal clips and the tannins in the leather

20215832100_f58858ed3c_z.jpgIMG_0943 by my0771, on Flickr​

Corner section no joins or seams just leather stretched around the conrner

19781236794_285a6cf806_z.jpgIMG_0945 by my0771, on Flickr​

The inside corner you can see the join which will never be seen once all of the pieces are put together

20403883325_73573f345a_z.jpgIMG_0946 by my0771, on Flickr​

That was the hardest piece only three more pieces to do.

Thanks for the responses everyone

The only colour I have enough of at the moment is red suede it is surprising how much suede is required to line the inside of one of these cases

Here are the suede's I use most often I have added the black to give an idea of what colour each one is cognac is the next to the black then red, turquoise, yellow then grey it is a blueish grey not the silver I used on the last single case which was more silver.

19988869279_82d53c3b53_z.jpgIMG_0914 by my0771, on Flickr​

Personally I like the yellow but that is nappa and it is very expensive.

I like the idea of deep purple however I was advised by a friend to keep the inside of bags and cases as light as possible.

All of the leather is in good condition and I don't plan on replacing any of it there is a small hole but that can be fixed quite easily. the key is not original it is from my collection of old keys but it works just fine.

The outside of the case is a light brown I would say darker than tan but not actually dark enough to be brown

Thanks

Michael

Just a quick update on this project I decided to go with green which I bought today I will post pictures once the light improves.

Here is the green for the inside of this case I just need to work out the correct colour of thread to use.

20408541190_8056c9a5aa_z.jpgIMG_0999 by my0771, on Flickr

I have ordered a set of stitching punches in the correct size to match the existing holes which are six stitches per inch.

Thanks Fountainpagan

The green is a good match for this case. I am still undecided on the correct colour thread I have some green but I think it is to dark, White is to light so maybe an off white or tan but they would blend in with the outside of the case.

I want the thread to say there is something different about this case.

How about a dark gold thread? Or maybe a kind of burgundy color?

Burgundy was going to be my choice. Dark gold is good, too.

Totally agree with you, stonezebra.

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

is there a truer (neutral to cyan based) red or burgundy thread? the thread photo reads a yellowish tomato red thread, which if the case reads correctly as a subtly pink undertone light brown, would be pink with yellow-orange red threads, sort of unsettling to some eyes.

the green thread and havana are nice, but may blend in so much that your handsome stitching wouldn't receive its focal reward.

if it were me, and it's not ; ) perhaps the mid-brown with the same colorant on the leather edges?