Restoring And Customising A Briefcase

my63

It is here

Exactly as described in very good condition for its age

14661642926_5037d33429_z.jpgIMG_7968 by my0771, on Flickr

Some areas are very dry and flaky

14498002869_2319f9c80d_z.jpgIMG_7972 by my0771, on Flickr

After unpacking I washed the whole bag with water and then washed it again with saddle soap.

The next stage was to apply some mink oil Half a tin so far and I expect to apply the other half tomorrow and possibly another tin next week

14681465881_a341dc6b9a_z.jpgIMG_7975 by my0771, on Flickr

The thread may have originally been brown but it is now a redish brown.

The project is to take an old bag and make it serviceable again by reconditioning the leather and replacing all of the stitching.

The interior will be transformed into a luxurious home for IT gear pens notebooks keys etc using fine suede and leather.

I will be adding as many pockets and securing straps as possible to the inside

This is a commission the owner has been involved in all of the decisions so far and will be along at some point to participate.

As always your participation is welcome and any ideas will be appreciated

Thanks for looking

Michael

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• my63

• Anne-Sophie

• Skyppere

• jsolares

Top Posters In This Topic

This will be interesting to watch!

"Life is too big for words, so don't try to describe it. Just live it."

- C.S. Lewis

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

This will be interesting to watch!

I agree! Looking forward to see how you get on

questions questions, too many questions...

Life is funny at times I made what I considered a silly offer on the first bag never thinking I would win it, and I did.

At the same time I made a bid on another bag again not really thinking I would win well I won that one too.

So I guess I will be restoring another bag.

14687582714_af7b6bf2df_z.jpg2 bag 1 by my0771, on Flickr.

I have started the restoration process cleaning first then feeding the next stage will be to take it all apart.

Yesterday

14498002869_2319f9c80d_z.jpgIMG_7972 by my0771, on Flickr

Today

14503714967_840a188809_z.jpgIMG_7978 by my0771, on Flickr

It may seem a little odd to clean and feed the leather and then take it apart but the leather was very dry and can be brittle when it is dry this leather may not have been treated for decades. So I have fed the leather with natural oils and fats to make it soft and supple again.

I will continue this process until the leather will not absorb anymore feed.

Thanks for looking

Michael

Edited by my63

Things tend to come in threes so here is number three

Basket case I think this case is very close to being scrap but I will wait until it arrives before I decide

14692421452_b73dfc2ee1_z.jpg3 bag 1 by my0771, on Flickr

14692422992_493d244ccc_z.jpg3 bag 2 by my0771, on Flickr

14669695136_ae50c10dfa_z.jpg3 bag 3 by my0771, on Flickr

I don't think the tape is original I will need to either buy brass corners or make leather ones.

Briefcase number one is having another coat of mink oil today.

Thanks for looking

Michael

You do the most amazing things! Brass corners for your squared off case sounds good (sort of like campaign desks) but then I have no idea what leather corners would look like.... hmmm, maybe in a contrasting color. I don't believe I've ever seen anything quite like the square case. Can't wait to see what you do next with the other cases!

Thanks Kate there are so many things that I cant do, I am now 10 years from the accident that changed my life and one of the most important lessons I have learnt since then is not to dwell on the things that I cant do but to focus my efforts on the things I can do.

Stonezebra

Here is a treat for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWcqaLdWrTE

Martin Ashworth is a leather craftsman I intend to repair the stationary box in the same way that he restores the barristers case which he starts towards the end of this video

Michael

As I now have two briefcases I feel it is only right to offer a choice to the client of which case they would prefer so until that decision is made I have just continued to apply oils to soften the leather.

I do have a little bit of room for storage however I now have a one in one out policy for large items I am aware that I could easily dispose of a writing slope or three, (we all know that is never going to happen) so the pretty bag and stationary case will need to find new homes or go back whence they came (auction site)

Thanks

Michael

OK decision made the dark bag has been chosen the outside has been coated in mink oil and is softening up nicely

14757561306_d022b7e839_z.jpgIMG_8152_1 by my0771, on Flickr

Please engage your imagination

14778198954_21f84a74e1_z.jpgIMG_8155 by my0771, on Flickr

This bag has a metal frame around the top and the leather is folded over this frame and stitched together I intend to unpick this joint and add in my suede lining and sew it back together, on all four sides and the bottom of the bag

I will make three fluted pockets

Edited by my63

The overriding idea with anything I restore is to only do enough to make the item useable and that is exactly what I plan to do.

14786236522_7322492c4d_z.jpgIMG_8161_1 by my0771, on Flickr

14806444073_589debac45_z.jpgIMG_8159 by my0771, on Flickr

As you can see I have removed the inside pieces the old dividers are not high enough to support the larger pockets so I will be replacing them.

While removing the dividers I discovered that the thread that looked fine was in fact rotten and when pressure was applied it snapped.

Linen thread does not last forever so I am now cutting out all of the stitching and will start to replace it when I am ready to re assemble

Thanks

Michael

This is the bottom of the case and it has had the same treatment as the rest of the case washed with saddle soap conditioned with mink oil and finally polished with carnauba wax
The old thread has been cut out and replaced with red waxed linen thread

14849206474_26b42a8d9a_z.jpgIMG_8229_1 by my0771, on Flickr

The inside has also been cleaned and dried and is now ready for its lining

14665037958_955e7b9563_z.jpgIMG_8231_1 by my0771, on Flickr

The two pieces of suede that make up the lining have been glued and sewn together it will be fixed in place when the dividers and the rest of the case are sewn together

14828670866_29dc97ccfd_z.jpgIMG_8235_1 by my0771, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Michael

In the previous post I showed the bottom piece with its suede lining which will be sewn in place the sides however need to be fixed.

14874227143_e2effa1b63_z.jpgIMG_8243 by my0771, on Flickr

This is the front the lock mechanism showed through the original lining so I added a piece of card in between the original lining and the suede.

Suede is expensive so a real deep breath is required before taking it near contact adhesive on a very hot day in the UK once it touched it was stuck fast.

I have started cutting some sheet kydex to make the new dividers which will support the pockets for the tech gear.

Thanks for looking

Michael

I am not so sure about that but thanks anyway.

I was going to be clever and hang the hide for the inside of this case outside so you could see how much there is but it is raining heavily here today.

14876648992_790ef46113_z.jpgIMG_8280 by my0771, on Flickr

So instead here is the after picture a very sharp knife and a number of rulers and a steady (well as steady as I can)

There is enough here to wrap the two dividers and make all of the pockets (I hope)

The next step is to dye all of the pieces and it is raining today so that is on hold.

Thanks for looking