The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Is This Really A Sailor 1911 Large M Nib?

sailor nib

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 pqu11

pqu11

pendropper

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2014 - 20:06

Hi I could really use your help. I bought a Sailor 1911 Large with M nib. I, however, don't think the nib is a round M as it should be, the tipping is very strange, reminds me of Naginata togi or Zoom, even though the marking H-M is there. It writes as Zoom does, meaning the line gets thinner the more you angle the pen. It is quite scratchy as well, more so with higher angles.

Could this possibly be a mishap at the factory? Is this how regular round Sailor looks like?

Attached Images

• IMAG0381.jpg
  • IMAG0384.jpg
  • IMAG0385.jpg
  • IMAG0386.jpg
  • IMAG0381a.jpg

Edited by danieln, 18 July 2014 - 21:00.

Sponsored Content

#2 pqu11

pqu11

pendropper

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2014 - 21:37

PS: I am comparing it to another Japanese gold: Platinum President, M nib. Quite a standard looking tipping for a round M on the Platinum, very different from the Sailor. All of my other M-nibbed pens are similar to the Platinum. The Sailor looks and writes differently.

#3 tarheel1

tarheel1

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2014 - 21:42

Sailor nibs are ground different.
WTB Sheaffer Balance oversized with a flex nib, semi flex, broad, or medium in carmine red or grey striated.

Wtb Sheaffer Pfm in black or blue with a medium or broad nib.

#4 ehemem

ehemem

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2014 - 23:23

Your Sailor M nib is not a factory mistake. Sailor nibs are ground with a 'foot' - that is the slightly flattened portion of the tipping. It is normal for Sailor nibs.

#5 pqu11

pqu11

pendropper

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:05

Ok, that's great to hear, thanks for the replies. I wouldn't have doubt the nib if it performed well but it kind of digs into the paper. Then I looked at some pictures (example: http://edjelley.file...332321026_o.jpg) and saw the tipping is indeed very different.

#6 sannidh

sannidh

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,020 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 March 2018 - 02:14

Ok, that's great to hear, thanks for the replies. I wouldn't have doubt the nib if it performed well but it kind of digs into the paper. Then I looked at some pictures (example: http://edjelley.file...332321026_o.jpg) and saw the tipping is indeed very different.

Fortunately or unfortunately it is a genuine sailor nib (with traditional grounding) :P

If you see perhaps an octahedron or something like that in the tip, that's the sailor nib from japan :P

Below is a Naginata nib, it is much more forgiving to slight changes in pressure than the usual sailor nibs IME. 

The sailors sold by professionals like CFP are tuned and smoothened, so may render a much smoother + different experience. Having said that and my love-hate experience with sailor, the nibs sent for US markets (particularly those on cross peerless 125) are quite conducive to our styles of writing, while still retaining the sailor charm :) 

DSC_6527.jpg

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

#7 minddance

minddance

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 02:55

The Medium and Broad nibs are an acquired taste, absolutely nothing conventional. Not my 'usual' rounded, smooth grind.

But it offers control and precision. I cannot seem to write fast or big with them.

#8 sannidh

sannidh

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,020 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2018 - 02:39

Fortunately or unfortunately it is a genuine sailor nib (with traditional grounding) :P

If you see perhaps an octahedron or something like that in the tip, that's the sailor nib from japan :P

Below is a Naginata nib, it is much more forgiving to slight changes in pressure than the usual sailor nibs IME. 

The sailors sold by professionals like CFP are tuned and smoothened, so may render a much smoother + different experience. Having said that and my love-hate experience with sailor, the nibs sent for US markets (particularly those on cross peerless 125) are quite conducive to our styles of writing, while still retaining the sailor charm :)

++ for joy!

8zLEUMu.png

#9 SenZen

SenZen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,924 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 20:48

My Sailor pro gear's H-M nib looks exaclty like that; it's a pleasure to use, and to behold :wub: .

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

#10 Bluey

Bluey

Somewhere between green and indigo

• Away
  • 1,961 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2018 - 21:05

All Sailor medium nibs look like that, and testament to their consistency.

A8DoYUc.jpg

Mediterranean blue, Asa Goa, China blue, Royal blue, Sapphire blue, Indigo, Washable Blue....the colours of the rainbow.

#11 minddance

minddance

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,558 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 21:19

Is the Sailor KOP medium (and broad) nib ground like that too?

#12 sannidh

sannidh

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,020 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2018 - 16:26

Is the Sailor KOP medium (and broad) nib ground like that too?

Found them a bit more rounded than usual sailor nibs + a relatively wet flow, with whatever I have wrote with. 

Edited by sannidh, 20 March 2018 - 16:27.

#13 Bluey

Bluey

Somewhere between green and indigo

• Away
  • 1,961 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2018 - 16:35

Softer nibs will almost certainly be more round because of the change in pressure, if you think about it. Angled nibs such as on Sailors non-KoP pens are only suited to nibs that are stiff as changes in pressure will change how the grind meets the paper.

Mediterranean blue, Asa Goa, China blue, Royal blue, Sapphire blue, Indigo, Washable Blue....the colours of the rainbow.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sailor nib

Sponsored Content

|