The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pelikan 3 Pen Case Or Aston Leather Hard 3 Pen Case?

aston pelikan case pouch leather

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rofl Copter

Rofl Copter

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2014 - 17:24

I've been looking for a decent pen case for a little while and I've narrowed down my choices to two similar cases. They are both hard ish leather, hold three pens, are similarly sized, and the price is similar as well. I'm just curious to know if anyone out there would recommend one over the other, since I don't know which of the two to pick.

Pelikan or Aston?

There is also this Aston 4 pen case, but the leather is softer and it doesn't look quite as protective or sturdy.

Any advice? Sorry if this has been asked [a million times] before.

Sponsored Content

#2 napalm

napalm

True Blue

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2014 - 17:37

From an aesthetic POV I personally prefer the Pelikan.

#3 ziptrickhead

ziptrickhead

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 18:54

I believe the Pelikan case isn't stiff at all but very soft. The sides of the case aren't made in a way to reinforce them. The Ashton one does look like it would be stiff enough for some crush protection though. Personally I use a Visconti Dreamtouch case. Not cheap but made very well and tough enough for me to trust keeping my pens in my bag.

Message me about nib work in NYC

Instagram | YouTube

#4 Rofl Copter

Rofl Copter

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2014 - 19:17

I believe the Pelikan case isn't stiff at all but very soft. The sides of the case aren't made in a way to reinforce them. The Ashton one does look like it would be stiff enough for some crush protection though. Personally I use a Visconti Dreamtouch case. Not cheap but made very well and tough enough for me to trust keeping my pens in my bag.

Wow, I searched up that case and it does look both very nice and very sturdy. I don't know if I can justify spending $95+ (US) dollars on a case though, especially considering I know Canadian Customs will probably slap a $30+ duty charge on me when I get it.

Edited by Rofl Copter, 16 July 2014 - 19:18.

#5 Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David

Go Blue!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2014 - 22:57

I have several each of the Pelikan and the Aston.  Both are good.  In general, I prefer the Pelikan partly because I like the feel of the soft leather and partly because it is a more compact case.  I've never had a problem with pens in either case experiencing any damage.  Maybe I just don't look at/for small surface scratches?  

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

#6 Doug C

Doug C

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 23:34

https://www.astonlea...-case-p555.html

Take a look at this one. I have it even though it doesn't come in black (my favorite). It is very beefy and will protect your pens.

the Danitrio Fellowship

#7 Shaporama

Shaporama

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:55

One thing to keep in mind . . . The Pelikan case does not have individual slots. It has two internal dividers, that are fixed to only one wall, thus they can move. One oversized pen (like an M1005) can rattle around in there unless it is held snugly on place by two other pens. I know, it's happened to me.

#8 Rofl Copter

Rofl Copter

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:18

From what I've read, my suspicions that the Aston case would be more to my needs have been somewhat affirmed. I agree that the Pelikan case does look very nice, but I am interested in a harder shelled case with individual pen slots. If I weren't, I'd get the Aston 4 pen case. I only wish there were some Canadian retailer for this stuff. Seriously, I am so sick of shipping things from America, it's ridiculously expensive. $20 shipping for a tiny pen pouch? What the hell is that? And that's before customs gets their hands on it. Ugh.

Anyway, I don't think any exist, so I might as well go ahead and order the Aston case.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aston, pelikan, case, pouch, leather

Sponsored Content

|