What's That I See? Another Plum 51? Say It Ain't So...

Cryptos

Just put a Kullock bright yellow one in it.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I'm not sure that will work. There is no place to screw in a jewel. I think it is an error of some sort...only one jewel.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• Cryptos

• FarmBoy

• pajaro

Still no response to my request for pics with the cap off. I think Bruce is right. On a similar note, I asked another seller a question about something I saw in a posted picture and promptly got banned from bidding on it! What the heck is the matter with these people?

Wow. That has *never* happened to me. Either I get an answer or I don't (and sometimes the sellers are completely clueless, which is obvious about *how* the question is answered); or I get a snotty response -- in which case I walk away without bidding.

And even then I've had issues. I have to shop the Vac Shadow Wave around to repair people at DCSS to curry opinions as to whether there really *is* a crack in the cap, or just some manufacturing weirdness. The seller told another potential buyer that he didn't find a crack -- even though there seemed to be one in the photo. So I bid on it, and won it, and it didn't occur to me to ask about the condition of the jewels when I was (politely) asking about the condition of the nib :blush: -- and the top jewel is just plain missing.... :o :angry:

As a result, I'm having to add in the cost of a replacement jewel, and possibly the cost of fixing the celluloid, to the cost of a new diaphragm. On top of what I already paid (and I'm now kicking myself for giving the seller a higher feedback rating than deserved, for what was, IMO, possibly an outright fib about the potential crack).

But I've never been banned from bidding after asking a legitimate question about condition.

I don't know if that's something reportable to Ebay or not, but it certainly sounds a bit hinky to me. (Don't suppose the seller in your case is the guy I've started referring to as "that third-rate pawnbroker"; also referred to as someone I will never EVER buy from ever again....)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Ruth, it doesn't happen often but I've been banned for asking questions before.

What I've done is try to limit the questions asked to 2, at the most 3. For example, with Esties, I'll usually just ask about the jewels and that the clip is firm to the cap. Those are the 2 most CRITICAL issues. The others I can work with easier. If it's a Pastel Estie, I'd add edge cracks as the 3rd question.

The more of a pain you seem to these sellers to make yourself, the more the chance they'll pull the trap door handle on you. ;)

On other pens, if I CAN See the nib and it's not pronged I don't ask any more about it.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

The more of a pain you seem to these sellers to make yourself, the more the chance they'll pull the trap door handle on you. ;)

I've never understood that type of mentality from a seller. I don't know why it is so much effort to take a few minutes to answer an honest question from a prospective buyer. Whenever I have something for sale on eBay I always answer every question no matter how detailed or trivial because that person might be encouraged to bid. Why would a seller not want more money? If it's not worth your time or you can't be bothered than consign it to an antique shop.

By the way FarmBoy, that was a great price you that pen at.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

I've never understood that type of mentality from a seller. I don't know why it is so much effort to take a few minutes to answer an honest question from a prospective buyer. Whenever I have something for sale on eBay I always answer every question no matter how detailed or trivial because that person might be encouraged to bid. Why would a seller not want more money? If it's not worth your time or you can't be bothered than consign it to an antique shop.

By the way FarmBoy, that was a great price you that pen at.

It's because you have consideration for others that you answer bidders' questions.

=============================

I got an answer from the seller of the pen set that he posted some pictures. It has a nib.

The chrome plated filler that the pen has is a filler sheath often found on plum 51s, and this one looks perfect. On many of these the plating has come off, leaving the filler looking pretty rough.

The seller is adamant that the pen is plum. Looks like it to me. I have more of these than I want to admit to, in varying condition, mainly sub-user grade. I think it's plum.

I think the prettiest 51 is a tie between Nassau green and Yellowstone. There is something about cocoa, though.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I too had an answer from the seller saying he had put up pictures. It is looking more and more like a plum (from my very limited experience of anything Parker).

Still, the bidding is already in festival mode so... good luck to all those jumping in!

Hopefully that seller doesn't earn his living in photgraphy.

The later pics do appear to show examples of the "Eggplant Effect".

I will say this, whatever color is it, it's a beautiful set. Those caps are something else, quite mintyish and my Favorite Aero caps. I am still twitching over a dual tone cap I LOST a couple months ago. (Please don't ask... :( )

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Update: the seller tells me the length of the pen is close to 5 3/8 inches (about 136mm for the rest of us non-Americanos!) and that the previous measurement of 5 1/4" was an estimate.

It's because you have consideration for others that you answer bidders' questions.

=============================

I got an answer from the seller of the pen set that he posted some pictures. It has a nib.

The chrome plated filler that the pen has is a filler sheath often found on plum 51s, and this one looks perfect. On many of these the plating has come off, leaving the filler looking pretty rough.

That describes the filler on my pen pretty well. OTOH, I didn't care, because I didn't mind having a user grade pen; I'm pretty sure it's an M nib (did a visual comparison with the other ones -- including the EF nibbed black Aero I got from Pendleton Brown last fall. For "snazzier", I've got the one with the GF cap; I used to think it was Midnight Blue, but I'm slowly coming more and more to the conclusion that it's probably Teal -- but that's okay, too....

Don't like cocoa, don't like anything remotely like Yelllowstone/Buckskin/Mustard. Ambivalent about the greens and greys. Cordovan Brown is nice. "British bloody burgundy" is okay: I like that a little better than the regular Burgundy -- and anyway, I've already got a 51 Special that's Burgundy (seller called it "maroon"). The color of the Special is the reason I'm pretty sure mine is really Plum.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Comparison of plum and burgundy next to each other is the definitive comparison. Cocoa Cooties might render interference, though.

Midnight blue, burgundy and forest green are almost black, and they need good light for their colors to be seen well.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

Comparison of plum and burgundy next to each other is the definitive comparison. Cocoa Cooties might render interference, though.

Midnight blue, burgundy and forest green are almost black, and they need good light for their colors to be seen well.

:huh: Well that decides it. The one with the GF cap is almost certainly teal. Have to update my records.

"Almost black except in good light" is a description I've heard used for Plum as well.

Update: the seller tells me the length of the pen is close to 5 3/8 inches (about 136mm for the rest of us non-Americanos!) and that the previous measurement of 5 1/4" was an estimate.

Lessee. I going to just estimate the length when specifically ask to measure closely when 3/8" can make the difference between a $150 Demi set and an over $300 full size set.

Gerrr. :rolleyes:

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

Hey! I was only passing on the information :P

<where is the popcorn smiley?, ahh...there it is>

http://www.dharmawheel.net/images/smilies/popcorn.gif

The Grrr was for the seller, not the message deliverer...

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I'm not sure that will work. There is no place to screw in a jewel. I think it is an error of some sort...only one jewel.

I've got one those Yellowstones......someone once told me it was a bad production run on a Tues. after a long Holiday at the factory...they could't give them away!!

:ninja:

:yikes:

MY-stair-shtook eyn-HOON-dairt noyn und FEART-seeg (Meisterstuck #149)

"the last pen I bought is the next to the last pen I will ever buy.."---jar

WTB: Sheaffer OS Balance with FLEX nibs

porkopolispennerslogorev1.jpg

Porkopolis Penners Blog

Looks like we've got a live one on our hands here! Up to $300 with half a day to go. :yikes:

http://www.dharmawheel.net/images/smilies/popcorn.gif

Ah, yes. Someone thinks it's plum too.

I for one, will have this saved if for no other reason that to see what the bidders feedback will be on it... ;)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl-Even if it doesn't go to one of "us", that Should tell the "final tale"...

Like I mentioned in another thread somewhere. I'll be checking later to see the feedback for it and if it is relisted.

Curiosity and all that you know. ;)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl