#21 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,662 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:08

I got the Parker Vector (#74 on the list this week).  A bit higher than I would normally have paid for a Vector, but I'm partial to the English-made ones.  And that nib was just... different.... :thumbup:  I almost didn't bid (I looked at it closely when I came back from a meeting and running errands, with about 45 minutes to go, then ran upstairs to see how similar it was to the F italic from a 4 nib unit calligraphy set I got on Ebay last year.

But okay, now, 'fess up.  Which one of yinzers got the Pelikan nib unit?  *Someone* must be bragging about their "sumgai" purchase (I would if I had been the one to score it.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstanedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#22 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,046 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:45

I actually bid on this pen yesterday and was a bit surprised to win with the opening bid.

What am I missing that I am not seeing?  New to older fountain pens, and will be first esterbrook.  What jewels?

Assuming may not need sac already?

Just to be sure there are no chips or cracks in the jewels you can't see in the pics. The jewels are irreplaceable unless you get them out of a parts pen and doing that is tricky.

The section is already about 1/3 of the way out, you might as well pull it the rest of the way and at least check if not resac the sac. *Tell the seller not to screw the cap down TIGHT, that section is sticking out just enough that doing so to ship Could bend the tine tips.* [1]

That's a pretty pen, nice Streaker action going on with it. That would look spectacular all polished up. You can do that. I can tell you how.

[1] In fact, I would probably ask him not to screw the cap down At All. Just put the cap on and run a strip of masking tape around the bottom edge of it to hold it on during shipping.  No need to even risk bending the nib screwing the cap down.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy, 14 July 2014 - 03:47.

#23 maksim

maksim

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:23

Just to be sure there are no chips or cracks in the jewels you can't see in the pics. The jewels are irreplaceable unless you get them out of a parts pen and doing that is tricky.

The section is already about 1/3 of the way out, you might as well pull it the rest of the way and at least check if not resac the sac. *Tell the seller not to screw the cap down TIGHT, that section is sticking out just enough that doing so to ship Could bend the tine tips.* [1]

That's a pretty pen, nice Streaker action going on with it. That would look spectacular all polished up. You can do that. I can tell you how.

[1] In fact, I would probably ask him not to screw the cap down At All. Just put the cap on and run a strip of masking tape around the bottom edge of it to hold it on during shipping.  No need to even risk bending the nib screwing the cap down.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Got it, thanks!

#24 da vinci

da vinci

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:45

#22, the S. T. Dupont Chairman, got a lot of nice action. I didn't bid on it knowing that it would go for way more than I wanted to spend, and it did indeed.
#17, the 9K Sheaffer Imperial Touchdown Masterpiece, went for way too much. More than I paid for my 18K version of the same pen.
I settled for #84, the 48-pen leather case. Just what I had been shopping for. Thanks for the list, Bruce, I probably would not have found this without your help!

I was watching the Masterpiece. A "sold items" search on ebay seemed to suggest price of under £400 was the going rate I think, but I have to say this pen seemed mint and no engraving either.

I am quite keen to obtain one of these. Would you give me a rough idea of what you paid for yours? :) TIA.

#25 DrCodfish

DrCodfish

neophyte

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 July 2014 - 20:09

I had bid on #91 a few days earlier, but it sort of went strato on Sunday.

#26 thINKer

thINKer

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 July 2014 - 21:11

I picked up #93.  Had happened to be watching it already and when I saw it on the list I felt more confident that I wasn't missing something, since I haven't bought many pens on ebay.  So thanks Bruce.

It will be my first Eversharp and I'm looking forward to writing with it!

#27 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,046 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2014 - 00:42

I don't see how you be any safer than that. He seems to do a lot of Skylines and seems to know his pens. He has Very nicely done listings with a spotless feedback. I always consider it cherries on top of a nicely frosted cake to see a handwriting sample from the restored pen in the listing. 

Not even I can find something to nitpick with your pen's listing.  ;)   I think you got a clean pen for a nice price.

I have a sneaking suspicion that he is a FPNer, the Jeep thing sticks in my mind but I can't place him more than that at the moment. Maybe he'll see this and poke his head in for a wave Hi.

Congrats thINNKer.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl 

#28 Mardi13

Mardi13

DancingPiglet

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2014 - 16:10

I posted a review of the Condor over in the Reviews forum, go check check it out!

Edited by Mardi13, 28 July 2014 - 17:20.

[Sponsored Content]